z

Young Writers Society

Favourite Articles to Link in Reviews?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm
Holysocks says...

Hey! I was just thinking about an awesome article that I link to a LOT in reviews, and was wondering what everyone else's favourite articles are to link in reviews? (or in general) On site or off-site, it doesn't matter to me!

My favourite one to link when dialogue is concerned, is Linguistics and Dialogue, Intro by @RacheDrache. I just have to type "please pass the salt" in the search function and it comes up. XP
100% autistic

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:13 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Great thread topic!
Two of my favorite YWS articles for reviewing poetry on YWS are by the wonderful @Aley - both are very thorough and straight-forward.

Capitalization in Poetry
This article goes way beyond the "capitalization is a personal choice" point and explains the effect of different capitalization choices that an author may want to consider.

Punctuation in Poetry
This article similarly goes beyond the "don't use punctuation" or "always use capitalization" and analyzes the different forms of using punctuation in poetry and their effect. It also explains the different common forms of using punctuation in poetry.

Both of these articles have been super useful because every poem either uses punctuation and capitalization or doesn't and that will often have an effect on how the reader interprets the poem - so they're pretty much always relevant.

A non-YWS resource that I often link to is https://www.rhymezone.com/ this is the most useful rhyming resource that I've come across, so when I notice awkward/strained rhyming I'll mention this link.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:39 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I link Punctuation and Dialogue by @Demeter every other review, it feels like.

Linguistics and Dialogue Intro and [url=https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=91129]Application are also oft-referenced.

How to get rid of talking heads by @LowKey.

And every so often, Description by @Rydia and Adding Dimensions (1) -- First Person Narration by @Master_Yoda

I also link my own rather frequently, because I wrote them to line up with my review style in mind lol

Pacing, and why it is important
Presenting... Your Story
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:53 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I link to a lot of articles on Springhole.net. It is so, so useful and it has everything.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:27 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I tend to not want to explain grammar, so when I come across consistent grammar errors I usually link to The Great Grammar Compendium because it's good at pointing people in the right direction when it comes to being more deliberate about comma usage and such.

I also have this ooold article on imagery bookmarked, though I don't tend to link to it in reviews because I don't review poetry that often.

I think the one I've linked most to in the last few months is this article on writing third person omniscient, because the number of times I've criticized confusing head-hopping only to be told "it's supposed to be omniscient" is ridiculous. This article is great because it teaches you about the different types of omniscient and how to (if you really want to go with it) do the pretty-much-head-hopping style *well* and with purpose.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer