z

Young Writers Society

My stories tend to reflect events in my life. Is this normal

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:16 am
jster02 says...

So, I've been working on this project, a realistic fiction about high schoolers. (Wow, please tell me that only sounds cliche to me).

Anyways, I'm beginning to notice that most of its events have something to do with those in real life. They're usually somewhat similar, or at least somehow connected. A lot of the time, I don't even notice the connection until after I've plotted or written a given scene. So my question is, does anyone else have this? And why is it happening? I don't have a problem with it, I'm just curious.

Not really sure this is the right forum, but it seemed like my best bet.
What's the point of success if it makes me miserable?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am
Mageheart says...

Since you're writing about high school, and I'm assuming you've been to one before, it makes sense that your story has somethings to do with real life! My novel also has some things that come from life, especially when it comes to the school aspect of it. People say to write what you know. I'm guessing you're subconsciously doing that!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:55 am
wordwing says...

EVERYTHING I WRITE has something to do with my life, so... Yeah...

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:01 pm
Holysocks says...

I'd say it's completely normal. Writing isn't always just a hobby- it can actually help us sort through life. Some people take up writing to help them through a tough time, and then stick with it.

I can't say that my prose reflects much of my life, but my characters do tend to work on things that I'm working through. In poetry, it all stems from my emotional state, generally.
100% autistic

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:07 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Completely normal! I write contemporary YA so I often draw from my own experiences when I write. For example, one of my favorite parts of high school was being in marching band, so the novel I'm working on now heavily features marching band.

One small word of caution though is to make sure that you're using your life as inspiration rather than source material. I only say this because I've made this mistake and it wasn't good :p For example -
I had a great 10th grade English teacher so I'm going to write an English teacher with some of the same qualities and traits.
vs
I had a great 10th grade English teacher so I'm going to write the same English teacher as the first example plus make the scene exactly as I remember it being when I was in 10th grade English.

The first example is inspiration and the second is source material. Remember that at the end of the day you're still writing a story and it isn't the story of your life. Small connections are great and fine and super common (especially in contemporary stories), huge parallels less so :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

He who knows only his own generation remains forever a child.
— Cicero