z

Young Writers Society

Favourite Books Thread!

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:09 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I'm pretty sure there are ten billion of these threads, but we haven't seemed to have one for awhile! So, what's your favourite books? Most recent favourite books? Books you've been dying to recommend to someone, anyone? I'll start.

First, my old reliables:

-The Dragon Slippers series by Jessica Day George
-Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George
-Anything by Jessica Day George basically!

Ones that have weird titles that I love anyways:

-The White Cat series by Holly Black
-Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie (a bit more graphic and probably 18+)
-The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead
-Coldest Girl in Cold Town by Holly Black (bit more graphic from what I recall)
-In The Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters (pretty graphic, 18+)

And right now I'm starting to listen to Vampire Academy because Richelle Mead got me hooked on her writing from The Glittering Court! So we'll see how it goes.
100% autistic

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 pm
View Likes
Feltrix says...

Okay, my current favorite series that I recommend to all is Lockwood and Co, by Jonathan Stroud.

I love basically everything Rick Riordan wrote.

Of course, I like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, but that's basically a requirement, so let's move on.

I have a fondness for The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green, but it's not my favorite thing ever.

I like the Beyonders. Books that I like best change quickly as far as books are concerned.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:28 pm
SnowGhost says...

@Holysocks
I love Jessica Day George, especially her midnight ball books. Sun and Moon Ice and Snow was very good too. I personally didn't like Silver in the Blood as much as her other ones it probably being my least favorite of hers
Just killing time until time kills me.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:07 pm
Holysocks says...

Yeah I wasn't as fond of Silver in the Blood either, @Snowmonkey9. It was difficult to get into. Also I'm not a huge fan of her weekdays series.

But I really love her style and how easy it is to get into her books. C:
100% autistic

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:53 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I love White Cat by Holly Black! Such a great little trilogy.

I'm also fond of Jonathan Stroud, though I haven't read anything by him in ages.

Favourite books:

- Emma by Jane Austen. Or anything by Jane Austen. Duh. But Emma is absolutely hilarious and also a bit heartbreaking and just overall wonderful.

- I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith. This was the most perfect coming-of-age novel ever. If you're a teenage girl you should definitely read it.

- The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale - these were my favourites when I was younger. The first is based on the fairytale The Goose Girl and I loved its sequel Enna Burning. They're amazing. You should read them.

- Uprooted by Naomi Novik - a recent addition. Excellent fantasy.

- Harry Potter - duuuuuuuuuuh.

- The City Watch books from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. The City Watch were my favourites of all of his characters but any Discworld book is good, obviously.

- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer - so enjoyable. Futuristic fairytale retellings. Just the best, you guys. The best.

- The first few A Song of Ice And Fire books by George RR Martin - I found the later ones a struggle but up to A Storm of Swords - OMG. I was glued to these books for weeks on end. If you haven't read them and you haven't seen Game of Thrones, read the books first, and stay away from the internet and spoilers and prepare to have your mind blown.

- The Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine. This book saved my skin a lot. But probably wouldn't recommend it for casual reading - although it does a great biography of Sylvia Plath in its gastroenterology chapter.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:53 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

the Fairyland series by Cathrynne M. Valente
- my go-to book recommendation
- YA fantasy
- whimsical, imaginative, beautiful

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- technically a children's book but whatever
- lovely illustrations by the author, essential to the reading
- bittersweet
- really short

All the Wrong Questions series by Lemony Snicket
- or anything by Lemony Snicket but let's focus on this
- the same voice and humor you loved in A Series of Unfortunate Events
- YA mystery/thriller/espionage

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe by Fanny Flagg
- chick lit? historical? kind of a lot of things
- spans decades and characters in the American South
- includes a lesbian love story and black viewpoint characters as well as white
- funny and sweet

641 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 641
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 pm
Panikos says...

Ooh, I love talking about fave books.

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
A trilogy rather than a single book, but I honestly can't choose a favourite. Wrap an adventure story about challenging authority and religion in a backdrop of parallel worlds and you'll have the splendour of this series. I adore it beyond measure - the characters, the tangibility of the worlds the story moves through, the plot itself. Pullman's creativity knows no bounds, and despite the controversy of the series regarding religion, it delivers a message that underpins my main philosophy in life.

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street - Natasha Pulley
This is my favourite standalone book ever, even if historical fiction isn't something that typically interests me. It's the author's debut novel and not that well known, but it's so quirky and unusual, deftly tying together magical realism, history, mystery and romance, that I sing its praises to everyone I meet. It's not the most seamless plot I've ever read, but the characters are so beautifully believable that it doesn't matter. If I could describe it in a word, it would be 'charming'.

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

I can't even describe how this book impacted me. Set against the backdrop of a war-torn Afghanistan, it's heartbreaking in every way it can be while being one of the most hopeful, uplifting books I've ever read. Don't let the realistic, war-orientated genre put you off - it wasn't my typical read, either, but it made me sob my eyes out like no book has.
The backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done.

~Radical Face

You wake up in the morning and it feels impossible? Good. You do it anyway.
— Martin Scorcese