z

Young Writers Society

Are You a Night Owl or an Early Bird (or Both)?

Reviews: 0
Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:16 am
GlamazonianGirl345 says...

@ajruby12 You and me both. As far as awaking at 6:40am or much earlier when we were younger. I never cease to perform this action now that I am much older. In fact, I've been awake since 5:50am this morning...and I'm really tired, and can barely keep my eyes open as we speak, lol...

#WorkaholicAllDayEveryDay

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:17 pm
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

I'm a natural night owl, hence I feel more creative at night. Unfortunately, as I got older I started staying up later and later and later over a gradual period of about four years until I was up until three or four just about every single night. That threw off my sleep schedule, and sleeping into almost or even past noon became an everyday thing. By college, that caused me to be late or sometimes even miss my morning classes (even though I have never had one before eleven during the first two years, which is just downright sad). Therefore, that, mixed with my lack of exercise, profuse ice cream binging, abnormal eating patterns, semi-frequent (underaged) consumption of horse-piss, procrastinatory behaviors, subsequent lack of motivation, and the fact that I stopped taking my ADHD medication resulted in my GPA plummeting. My lethargy also resulted in me gaining fifty pounds and triggered depression. As a sort of consequence to make me learn responsibility, I'm back home with a semi-enforced bed-time (probably for the next 12-18 months of my life). I function better, but I still miss my really late nights at times...but I feel a lot better when I go to bed early and wake up at like six. Oh, the tradeoff.

Sorry. I went off on a tangent. But yeah, anyway, my late nights caught up with me and, by college, I was up so late that it affected my performance. It was the main contributing factor to that. Kids, please trust me. When you go off to college, please don't stay up too late, and please don't drink underage. I know I sound like a killjoy for saying that, but that whole cycle really messed me up and now I need to try even harder to get into a good university again. Take this as a lesson, boys and girls. Staying up late on weekdays, while often being a blast, is not worth it in the end.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:29 pm
View Likes

Maybe I can learn from this, lol... I'm the same way, pulling almost-to-all-nighters, and I'm always having uncontrollable yawning fits during the day (especially when the afternoon rolls around).

:D :D :D :D

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:13 pm
ajruby12 says...

I don't know how you guys do all-nighters. I did it once about a year ago at a youth activity, and I felt dizzy and weak the last couple hours. It's awful. I'd much rather wake up at 2 in the morning than stay up that late
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Ray Bradbury

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:02 pm

@ajruby12 I'm so accustomed to pulling almost-to-all-nighters that eventually it converts to being second nature. The first time I pulled one was to accomplish a project for my History class, back when I was in the 6th Grade. I was awake until 5:38am, to awake again at 6:09am to get ready to go to school. Likewise to you, I felt a sense of dizziness, but fortunately (I can't believe I'm stating this), since my school was let out early that day, after a nice "lunch," if you will, of pizza, I took a nap that lasted almost 4 hours. During the day, you feel a sense of tiredness after having pulled an almost-to-all-nighter, but, hey, TD Jakes once stated "Excellence requires discomfort."

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 pm
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

My first all-nighter was February 3rd - 4th, 2007. I spent the night at my friend's house, and we just messed around the whole night. We snuck on the computer to play games and watch youtube and set up this giant battle with all the toy soldiers that he had in his garrison. We had a blast. That morning we were a mess. He fell asleep before my dad even arrived to pick me up. My family went out to eat a little bit later and I nearly fell asleep in my food at the table. The Superbowl was that night, and so we watched it as a family. There was this hilarious Blockbuster commercial (some of you kids probably don't even remember Blockbuster) where this bunny rabbit was using a real mouse as a computer mouse saying "How do I get to the internet?" to his friend, also a rabbit. It was for Blockbuster's online service where they would ship films to your door, just like Netflix's original model. Well, that bunny kept pushing and clicking down on that mouse. Then I started to cry my eyes out because I was so exhausted. I was like "He's abusing that poor mouse!" It was pretty funny, and we still joke about it today. I was almost eleven too, and I had never been much of a crier like that.

Let's just say that I never pulled an all-nighter by choice again. I've pulled countless almost-all nighters (aka four or five AM) followed by a few hours of sleep, but never anything like back in February of 07'. I swore to myself I would never do that again. The only legitimate all-nighters I have pulled happened in college, but not by choice. They were primarily due to sleepless nights, which were probably triggered by my sleep schedule and body clock switch, but I was generally able to get through the day, albeit somewhat agitated. I believe I pulled two or three other legitimate all-nighters on purpose in college to study. Unfortunately, coffee and Adderall don't wake us ADHD fellows up. I was still pretty grouchy the next day.

Even so, I never pull all-nighters anymore. Hell, I very seldom pull almost all-nighters either. I don't miss legitimate all-nighters though. That night back in February 07' was good.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:57 pm
AriannaC says...

I am most defiantly a night owl. In fact, I'm the most nocturnal that you will ever meet!
Until The End And Beyond
-Ari

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:48 pm
SnowGhost says...

Considering getting to sleep at 12am is early for me I'd say I'm a night owl. I had an all nighter once and I was ok until my book ended, that is when I kind of went crazy. This Friday a friend is coming for a sleepover and insists we have an all nighter (she is the queen of all nighters) so I'm just like "sure. I'm game."
Just killing time until time kills me.

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 am
popsicles says...

I'm 100% a Early Bird!
MUSIC IS LIFE

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:52 am
Rook says...

100% Night Owl
and my roommate is 100% Early Bird

She gets up at like 5 every morning and CANNOT sleep past 8. Like, physically incapable. I sometimes go to sleep at like 4 a.m. and usually I'm mostly just afraid of her realizing I'm still awake haha.
And one time she was home on one of the days I get up at like noon and she was so astonished, like, she'd legit never seen anyone sleep like me before and I'm like...? is this not normal?
So yeah, we're like opposites.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:06 am
Mea says...

@fortis - You sound like me and my sister. I'm the early bird - she's the night owl. It's so hard trying not to wake her up when I navigate around the room in the mornings. :P
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:48 am
Rook says...

@Mea I might wake up to a noise, but I can get back to sleep so fast. Like, I've literally had an entire conversation and then rolled over and went back to sleep in the next breath. I might be a light sleeper in that I wake up with noises, but when I realize they're not for me (not my alarm, not someone talking to me, not something that needs my attention), I can get back to sleep in a snap. Like, seriously, I wish I could time it somehow.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:35 pm
Tenyo says...

Both. I stay up until about 2am, wake up at about half five, then nap through half of the afternoon.
We were born to be amazing.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:09 am
ShadowPrincess16 says...

Night owl. The only time I'm ever in bed before four in the morning is when I'm sick. Otherwise, my bedtime is about the time most people are waking up. I love it this way, though.
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:54 am
WeirdoPotato says...

BOTH. I can be up all night, or fall asleep late at night, but still get up early and arrive early to wherever I'm going to. So yeah.
Last edited by WeirdoPotato on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.
— Robert Frost