z

Young Writers Society

Can I get some Advice?

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:26 am
View Likes
LucytheBrave says...

So I've been having bouts of long-term sadness, and I'm usually a rather happy person. I know It seems stupid, but My sister and My mother both have depressive disorders. And though I know depression isn't just genetic, it is known to be more common in people who have a family history of it. But the problem is, both my mother and sister have been diagnosed with depressive disorders. I would feel really bad bothering them with my problems if it turns out to be just teen angst. I don't feel suicidal or anything of that sort, just sad. So I don't know what to do.

I want to be specific here, I'm not asking for psychological help, I'm asking...whether I should ask...for psychological help......(I'm sane I swear)

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:02 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

First of all, you need to remember - your mental health is always important.

I think if you feel that having someone that you can confide in and talk to about what's going on will make you feel better, than you should go for it. After all, you probably know what's best for you. Whether it's a therapist, a family member or a friend, talking to someone might make you feel better about anything that's going on.

You could also (or in addition to anything else) find things that make you happy/feel better. I find that writing about how I'm feeling in a secure place makes me feel better. Reading, watching a favourite movie with a blanket, listening to you favourite/uplifting music and riding horses are some of the things that help me. Anything that can take my mind off whatever is dragging me down or can engage me usually makes me feel better. Of course, everyone is different. Maybe you would prefer to dance, maybe you'd rather do a jigsaw puzzle or cook a new recipe you saw recently. I know these aren't permanent solutions, but if you can find something that will take your mind off whatever is making you unhappy (and sometimes it's for no reason - I know), you can at least have an idea of what to do when you are feeling worse.

Of course, there will be times where you just need to take a break, which is easier said than done, but your health (physical, emotional and mental) is priority. I know that, at times, it can be hard to believe this. A good solution may be to take time every once and a while and just ask yourself how you're doing, maybe do something for yourself or do that one thing you've been wanting to do. If you're comfortable with it, maybe you could try asking your mother or sister about how their feeling or what helps them feel better.

This is in no way professional advise. These are little things that I've found help me, but I understand everyone is different and nobody is going to fight the same battle. All of these are suggestions, and you may take them or leave them.

I hope you might have found something in here helpful and that you find a way to feel better. Take care of yourself, and if you ever need an unrelated opinion or someone to vent to, please feel free to message me at any time.

inky <3
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:12 am
Virgil says...

Not stupid at all! I wouldn't write this off for teenage angst either. If this is a form of depression it's better to learn sooner than later because you'll have more time to learn how to cope. I can understand not wanting to ask or talk to your mother or brother about this but if you're able to, I suggest you do.

There are instances where the situation is a bit more sticky and people struggle to get help but if those two are fairly understanding, talk to them. Don't write off your emotions because somebody else 'has it worse'. I've seen times where a person's mental health becomes much more severe because of that mindset.

Short answer is that if you do feel that this might be depression and you're able to ask for help, do so. It's hard, I know, but it's worth it in the end even if you're not diagnosed. Your mental health is important, friend!

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:35 am
Rosendorn says...

Honestly, the biggest symptom of depression is "I don't want to burden people". That's a lie depression tells you, to feed itself.

So yes, go ahead and ask for psychological help. If you're sad and can't ever seem to feel better, that's something you're 100% allowed to ask for help with.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:41 am
Lavvie says...

A great thing is that there are actually many resources that you can tap into. I don't know your situation but if you're in middle school or high school, you can go to one of the counsellors and they would happily help you. These individuals are trained and often have many official contacts to which they can safely and confidentially direct you to. This way, you might be able to get a good recommendation for a professional that can help assess you.

The school counsellors will also be able to provide you with other resources like tips and maybe even handbooks to help you manage your mental health in the meantime (before you potentially meet a professional).

Whether or not its teen angst doesn't really matter, because whatever you're experiencing emotionally and/or mentally is valid. Even if the professional does not diagnose you with an emotional disorder, you will certainly still have the option to attend counselling. Counselling is great because it's like a verbal diary and the person listening is often kind and understanding and helps guide you through tumultuous things. I go to counselling during the school year, and it's a big help in life.

I hope you get things sorted and know that you have lots of support here as well <3

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown