z

Young Writers Society

50 Pounds?

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm
View Likes
JuliasSneezer says...

Heyo! For writing purposes, I need to know if 50 pounds is a lot of money. The reason that I ask is because I'm just that ignorant, and I don't trust generic internet research. XD
Last edited by JuliasSneezer on Mon May 01, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When in doubt, improvise!"
-Winny the woodpecker

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon May 01, 2017 1:37 pm
Silberfee says...

pounds for weight or currency?

58 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2017 1:48 pm
JuliasSneezer says...

Currency, @Silberfee. Sorry. XD
-Winny the woodpecker

55 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2017 2:09 pm
View Likes
Silberfee says...

ahh this is hard to explain, I'd say you could buy a handbag or pair of shoes, or about one and a half week's worth of groceries for one person,
(if there is any way I can explain this better please tell me )

55 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2017 2:12 pm
Silberfee says...

when i say handbag or pair of shoes I'm referring to high street brands not designer :P

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Mon May 01, 2017 2:18 pm
View Likes
Clarity says...

If you've ever heard of Topshop (high street store) - I buy my jeans from there and they cost 40 pounds a pair.
Another brand comparison - Adidas Gazelle's cost 75 pounds.
A meal in a place like Five Guys would cost around 35 pounds for 2 double burgers, 2 large fries and 2 fizzy pops.
I've been to the supermarket before and managed to spend 50 pounds on meals to last only half the week.

If you think about 50 pounds being the equivalent of almost 65 US dollars and almost 60 euros that might be able to put in into comparison for you as well. :)
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

58 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2017 2:48 pm
View Likes
JuliasSneezer says...

Thank you, @Clarity and @Silberfee! Thank you! :D
-Winny the woodpecker

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon May 01, 2017 3:54 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It depends on the age, class, and region of the characters, too.

For a little kid, that amount of money is fairly substantial. Parents would probably encourage them to save part of it, but still. 50 is pretty decent when you're not used to handling money.

For somebody living on their own/a new adult (18-30), 50 is getting to be not a lot at all. It's nice to have, but that is one thing or part of one thing.

Class-wise, somebody who's grown up with a lot of money will find that not much and perhaps even struggle to buy one thing with it, because they're so used to spending over 50.

Somebody who's grown up in poverty would have mental calculations for that 50 and probably be able to stretch it a lot farther, but it would only be a little breathing room.

The big city is more expensive than rural areas. That's because of the assumption cities are full of people with money. Different cities have different costs of living, too (like, NYC is going to cost more to live in than a small rural town in Texas). In a big city 50 would vanish like water through fingers, but in a rural area, it can probably stretch farther.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon May 01, 2017 3:58 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

In the UK on national minimum wage you'd have to work for seven hours to earn it, or eleven hours on the under twenty-one minimum wage.

With £50 you could buy... five/six new paperback novels, three music albums, 125kg of supermarket white rice, eight months of standard Netflix subscription, twenty McDonalds happy meals, one high profile xbox game, four movies, one month contract for a Samsung Galaxy S8, or 0.000000034% of Facebook.
We were born to be amazing.

58 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2017 4:25 pm
JuliasSneezer says...

Thanks, @Rosendorn and @Tenyo!
-Winny the woodpecker

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon May 01, 2017 5:37 pm
View Likes
Lefty says...

Not sure if this helps, but 50 pounds converts to $64.55 in US dollars.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

58 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2017 5:42 pm
View Likes
JuliasSneezer says...

It does, @LeftyWriter, thank you so much! :D
-Winny the woodpecker

I feel like it will be absolute hotdog water, but oh well. It's just a draft.
— Charm