z

Young Writers Society

Any Pacific people out there?

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:32 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

I'm doing a research paper and I have a few questions concerning typhoons/cyclones. I'm not allowed to use Wikipedia, so I need some help here. If anyone lives there, hopefully they'd know. When's y'all's storm season? (Is there actually a typhoon season or is it called something else?) I'm looking for storm info in the Western/Northern/Southern Pacific ocean coasts. Australia, Japan, China, etc etc.

Any help?
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 pm
Mea says...

In Japan, at least as far north as Tokyo, we rarely get typhoons that do any damage. We usually catch the edge of them, and it just rains a lot and is pretty windy. The biggest inconvenience is that sometimes they'll have to shut down trains, and the wind can break your umbrella. Occasionally they'll cancel school because of the transportation problems. Typhoon season is usually fall, and they are called typhoons here. I would imagine that in more southern parts of Japan, typhoons are a bigger problem. And that's all I really know. :P
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:56 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

@Mea Thanks! Do you know specifically which months the season takes place in? Dates?
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:08 pm
Mea says...

I'd have to Google what's considered the official dates, but it starts by August and goes roughly until around the end of October.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:23 am
Meshugenah says...

Can you use other encyclopedias? If so, your school or public library should have at least one set you could use! And they may have a electronic one you could use without having to leave your house ^^
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:12 am
EscaSkye says...

In the Philippines, the typhoons usually come around August to October or so. We don't have the four seasons temperate countries do, we just have two: the sunny and the rainy season. When typhoons come it does deal damage, notably, roofs of galvanized or corrugated iron flying around. I do know of a case where someone, in an attempt to keep his house with a roof, sat on top of it during the storm. The result? Stray roofing cutting off his arm. Best to stay indoors if you know the wind is going to be strong and if your area is full of houses with such roofing.

Aside from that, the Philippines I assume, is notorious for the floods. My family and I are fortunate to be living at a street where floods do not come. Not the same story once you get off our street though. You may want to search this up: Typhoon Ondoy. The time that one came, if you were looking out our window, you'd never know other parts of the metro were turning into lakes, aka: water rising 'til the second floors of houses and restaurants, just a short distance from where I reside. Now I'm not familiar with the sewers of the city, but I know it's considerably smaller compared to the ones in other countries. That may be a factor, but there could also be tons others. It just thought that might be significant for your paper.

Another one, which did A LOT of damage in another part of the country, is Typhoon Yolanda. I believe that's the typhoon that pretty much ravaged a region. An estimated 6,300 people died that time. I think the government is still trying to revitalize the area.

Anyway, if you have any more questions feel free to message me, though I feel that the things I've covered are sufficient for at least a section of your paper I guess?

PS: scholar.google.com might help you out. It filters out the searches and shows you credible material to base your papers on. It doesn't necessarily have the full text, but you at least have a lead on what to search for. If your school has a subscription to it, jstor is another helpful website with articles that may be able to help you. If you don't, if I have free time this week, I can help search for jstor articles but no promises.
Not anymore.

Half goat, half fish, all goatfish.
— OSP Red