z

Young Writers Society

General Advice for Interviews

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:03 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

I imagine a lot of people here will either be doing interviews within the next couple months for summer jobs / full-time jobs, or may have already even started. So with that in mind, here's some general advice from the perspective of someone who's been interviewing a lot of people for intern positions this summer...

1. Be prepared.
Come prepared with copies of your resume! Also, bring a notebook with you to write on. Preferably something like this, which you can also use to easily carry copies of your resume.

2. Dress nicely.
This is very dependent on what kind of job you're interviewing for though. If it's an office environment, then guys, wear a suit and tie. In a lot of the USA at least, you can generally pick up relatively cheap but nice suits at Jos A Bank or Macy's for under $100. Just make sure you get your measurements right, which any store selling suits should do for you. For the tie, it doesn't really matter what design is printed on it as long as you do a double windsor knot. For added benefit, also pick up a tie clip and a white silk pocket square -- you'll look great. Whatever you do though, do not wear athletic or white socks! Knee-high black socks can be bought for $5, so there's no excuse.

On a side-note, my theory about dressing nicely for guys is that the suit is fairly irrelevant (as long as it's clean and fits well). Instead, it's the accessories like the belt, the shoes, the socks, the tie clip, and the pocket square that really make you stand out.

For ladies, I don't have as much experience there, but dress conservatively. And as with guys, don't wear athletic socks.

Now for a job like a camp counselor or working in a retail environment, showing up in a suit is probably going to make you look like a weirdo. But, I'd advise khakis, a buttoned down shirt or polo, and a nice pair of shoes. Whatever you do, don't show up in sandals or flip-flops.

3. Smile!
Don't look like a deer caught in the headlights.

4. Nerves.

If you get nervous like me, work out the nerves beforehand. Personally, I go for a run before any interview or important meeting. That way, I'm too tired to be nervous.

5. Hydration.
Don't be afraid to ask for a cup of water. I always get water for all interviewees, but I didn't always. It wasn't until one poor guy came in who really, really needed a cup of water that I started doing this. If your interviewer doesn't provide water, feel free to ask at any time during the interview (it's much better than making that smacking sound people make when their mouths are dry).

6. Dental hygiene.

Brush your teeth right before the interview. Or at least, don't eat something pungent for lunch and then go to your interview...

7. On interview questions...
Most organizations have a prepared set of questions to ask you, and they're not allowed to deviate from it. This is because HR insists on everyone getting the same questions, and because legal says you can't ask certain kinds of questions. Thus, the most specific a question will probably get is about your previous job experience.

The downside of this is that you're going to get mostly cookie cutter questions that sound stupid. But the upside of this is that you can easily prepare yourself for these questions.

Now, here's a really good list that also describes how to answer these often ridiculous questions:
https://www.themuse.com/advice/how-to-a ... -questions

There's two in particular though that I think are worth covering...

Why do you want this job / what attracted you to this job

The obvious answer is obvious: MONEY. Unfortunately, you can't really say that. Instead, a good answer is something like, " I believe this job is a good fit for my previous experience," or "I applied to this job because I really enjoy X." So for example, if you're applying to be a camp counselor, you might say,

"I applied for this job because I believe I will be a good fit for it. I enjoy spending time outdoors, I like hiking, and I enjoy working with kids."

Or, for an internship in an office environment...

"I applied for this job because I believe I will be a good fit for it. I'm currently going for a degree in [for example] political science, and I think this will be a good experience that will both help me to pursue my career in the future and assist XYZ organization in achieving their goal of electing the subterranean race of Lizard Men to positions of prominence."

In both, you can also describe whatever past experience you may have that would be relevant. If you don't have past experience though, don't worry. Instead, emphasize whatever extra-curriculars you have done or anything you've done in school.

What are your weaknesses

Personally, I love asking this question because it's such a ridiculous question and I like seeing the faces people make. But, I think what most interviewers are looking for is just how you answer it. For example, don't just say "Oh, my biggest weakness is organization." Instead, say something like, "My biggest weakness is organization, and I've taken several steps to address that, including doing X, Y, and Z." If organization is your biggest weakness, then this is a good time to point out you brought a notebook and resume with you (as pointed out in point number one)!

That is, when describing your weaknesses, also describe how you've worked to overcome those weaknesses.

8. Ask questions!
Asking questions is a sign of confidence, and most interviewers will respond positively to it. Ask them how they got started at the company, or why they enjoy working there (if they enjoy working there...). Before the interview ever starts, come up with your own list of 10 questions to ask, and try to weave them into the interview to turn it into more of a conversation.

Doing this definitely takes skill, but at the very least, when the interviewer asks you if you have any questions, don't say no. Instead, probe them for information about the company. But, don't ask about salary or hours -- it makes people uncomfortable. Leave that to when they offer you the job unless they bring it up.

9. The handshake.
Now, this is nothing against millennials, of which I guess I'm one, but my goodness -- it seems like most millennials have never learned how to shake someone's hand. When shaking a hand, grasp it firmly with a gentle squeeze and look into the person's eyes. When I shake a limp hand, I almost feel like washing my hands immediately afterwards. It's gross.

10. After the interview...
You can never go wrong with calling or emailing the interviewer the day after asking if they need anything else from you and to thank them for the interview. Chances are they don't need anything else, but the point is to remind them about you.

But that's it -- one call or email. Not two calls and an email. Not ten voicemail messages, five calls, and 18 emails. One call or email. That's it.

One final tip -- practice. You can do this with a friend, or by interviewing for jobs you're not really serious about. Just like you wouldn't expect to write a good novel without writing a draft first, you shouldn't expect to do well in an interview without preparing yourself adequately for it. Even talking to yourself in front of a mirror will help.

And above all else: smile, sit up straight, and look attentive.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:34 pm
Rook says...

Thanks for the tips Nate! This is really helpful! I have an interview on Friday, but unfortunately it's mostly going to be a prepared roleplay sort of thing.
It's kinda stressing me out because I'm not 100% sure what I need to do!
But I'll be sure to take the de-stressing tips to heart!
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:53 am
View Likes
Lava says...

So! Interviews! I've been doing lots of those this past few weeks (mind you, it's a very academic/science-y setting), and I have atleast 10-15 more this Thurs-Fri, so here's my two cents:

1. Dress nice, yes, but you have some leeway:
As a woman, I've found a long open sweater, blouse/pants work very well for along with some cheap Old Navy all black sneakers/almost like Vans? I wore a very colourful blouse and black pants. I needed to be comfortable, and so I gave up on all the boots/heelies. Also, I did use ankle socks, all black with my sneakers so I could be comfortable again. Just use the all blackness to your advantage, be it black pants or black leggings.

My go to honestly was a nice (but cheap) good looking hand bag that could hold a lot, and I had a very nice, cheap, ethnic portfolio (It's bright and red and some gold patterns!) from home (India) which was a great starter.

1.5 : Misc tip!
Also, if you have had previous experience related to the work, taking a one page print/snapshot of that is very helpful, especially in science! It has been the biggest help that I've received from my current colleague.

2. Thank you notes/emails:
Try to send these, around a time that would be just before when they would get into work the next day. It's a little trick, that elicits a response. Highlight something interesting from your conversation.
One of my interviewers commented that my current boss had, three years ago, sent him a thank you note and he's still very appreciative of that. So goes to show!

3. Questions :
Sometimes, mine were structured that by the time it was the last person, I would run out of relevant questions - so I had some pocket ones asking them abnout their work, and how the organization has helped them grow professionally/scientifically. Always helps.

4. Show it in the face:
As much as I get exhausted by the social interaction, being excited and genuinely interested shows in your face/eyes, and it helps to practice that.

5. Be yourself:
Honestly, be calm. It's helped me. My pre-interview routine was to read the news (talking about current relevant matters), eating lots, and listening to som fave music. Remember it's a conversation, and you have the power to make it so. Be confident!

But, as @Nate said, I haven't been able to master the handshake yet. It's something that was never a part of my culture growing up, so it's hard.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf