z

Young Writers Society

Best Thing You've Written; Worst Thing You've Written

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:54 am
View Likes
SteppeVesteffi says...

What was the best thing you ever wrote, and what was the worst thing you wrote?

For me, best thing I ever wrote is a bit tough, because I'm so critical of my writing. I have a couple of first chapters of various novels that I think are probably in a close race for #1.

Worst thing I wrote: The first story I ever created by use of words (rather than drawings and scribbles) was so weird. I can still remember—quite vividly—writing the word are as "R", complete with the Toys "R" Us quotes, because I didn't know how to actually spell the word. And that wasn't even the worst part of the story. No, the worst part were my two talking animal protagonists (each with no personality), and the storyline (or lack thereof).

*cringes with the force of a thousand cringes*

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:51 pm
View Likes
tigeraye says...

Best and worst is a bit too self-judgemental for me to decide, but I do have favorites and least favorites. My favorite is a Christmas story i wrote two years ago titled The Gift of Life, where a rich snob is diagnosed with terminal cancer and has to come to terms with his diagnosis. The plot isn't anything super original, but I like character development a lot.

As for least favorite...well, there are a lot of chapters of my old novel that I have trouble re-reading without cringing at because of how incredibly cheesy it got at points.
dot

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 pm
View Likes
Rosella says...

I think my favorite piece is this > https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/DeepRoses/opposite-133028 since it is about someone who is very dear to me.

The least favorite thing is https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/DeepRoses/dandelion-132569 because the emotions were very abrupt and the flow was not well....

I mainly write poetry. I sometimes write other things but those are just for fun
Isaiah 40:8 - "The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever."

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:47 am
View Likes
EscaSkye says...

I'll go with favorite and least favorite too.

My favorite thing I've written (as in finished writing), is a short story I named "Words". I wrote it way back in 2012, before I ever knew of John Green or his works (significant later). It made friends who've read it cry, which was a first for me because usually they like it but not to tears. Years later while I was cleaning out my hard drive, I came across it and let my college friend read it just for fun. She commented that it reminded her a lot of The Fault In Our Stars so it felt like a major compliment, since I knew the guy as a best selling author (but no, it doesn't have protagonists dying of cancer. It's more of the development of their relationship until one passes away). To this day, I have to admit I have not finished TFIOS. I have the book but it's sitting in my drawer.

The least favorite thing I wrote would be this novelette consisting of 14 chapters. Heck, I even forgot the title I gave it. I distinctly remember the first letter being R though. The thing about this work was that it was highly personal in nature. I was going through stuff and it translated to whatever it was I was working on. I didn't really have a plan for it, though it did take some inspiration from Jay Asher's "13 Reasons Why". It was mostly just a series of me vomiting emotions onto blank word pages 'til somehow, I ended up with an ending which, at the time, I was happy with. It was mostly about a girl who had to deal with confusion/curiosity about a classmate who suddenly became pretty depressed. The novelette mostly consisted of protagonist's memories regarding said classmate, and piecing things together to try to to understand what's going on. Long story short: it was a happy ending after some pretty desperate events. No one died, unlike 13 Reasons Why, and the ending was open-ended but with hints that the pair was headed towards a fruitful friendship. Of course, it's my least favorite because I got to see how much of a nosey brat I was in high school. I'm still nosey, but probably not to that extent.

My favorite current work, which I'm not even a quarter way done with writing the draft, is called Towards Tomorrow. This is mostly a sentimental piece for me because during my younger years, Towards Tomorrow (under a different title at the time) was what kept me pretty hopeful through tough teenage years. It's basically about a struggling teenage protagonist (who in the "reboot" is now a young adult, though still in her late teen years) who tries to get over emotional trauma, both past and present, not knowing how to really project herself amidst expectations of being this "perfect idol" by her peers. It does dig relatively deep into my own issues, but Fallon (protagonist) does have a life of her own separate from mine. While writing, she has surprised me often. It's one of those moments you never planned reactions or events to play out the way they did, but it felt way more organic and natural than what you had in mind.
Not anymore.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:59 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Best: Cat Steps, most recent draft. Maybe a fanfic I've been working on, but Cat Steps is my baby I've been working on way too long.

Worst: Cat Steps draft 1.

Yep xD

There's about 30 incomplete drafts between the two, and over a decade of experience. The original Cat Steps had a Not Like Other Girls protagonist, who had Teen Angst at being Misunderstood until a boy comes in and says he loves her for who she is, and turns his whole life upside down for a girl he hardly knows. It was also a massive Song of the Lioness ripoff.

(reference: I was 13)

The more modern one has that teen angst be PTSD (which, tbh, was what I originally expressed in the draft), the Misunderstood-ness is a general lack of fit in society/abuse and coercion, and the boy she just met has been replaced with friends she's grown up with who act as her second family. Without much sign of directly copying plots.

(reference: I am now 24 and working my way through recovery of some nasty, nasty abuse)

So if anybody says stories can't be improved over time they are lyyyyyying.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes