Young Writers Society

The Last Man Standing: Round III

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:41 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Tagfest!

@Apricity @ChiravianSkies @EnderFlash @Falconer @Fortis @jumpingsheep @hexglass @Nikayla @niteowl @SpiritedWolfe @TheSilverFox @TheStormAroundMe

You can do it guys. Get those fingers moving!

Good job to the early birds who have their chapters in already =]
We were born to be amazing.

560 Reviews

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:19 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Month I and II Highlights

First Note;
Due to workload there's some really neat stuff I wanted to do this round that never actually made it into practice. Hopefully I'll be able to implement them in the future. So, here's the latest experiment.

Introducing; Highlights!

Contestants:
8 Bards. 7 Rogues. 30 Warriors. 46 Competitors in total.
Plus a handful of spectacular Sages who you may have seen skirting around.

Prepared Traveller Awards:
Amelie, Apricity, BiscuitsLeGuin, BlueAfrica, ChildOfNowhere, Falconer, Fortis, Nikayla, Niteowl, Ripplegylf, Scarlettfire, Sirlight, Snazzy, TheSilverFox, TheStormAroundMe, Ventomology, Ashnirai, Holysocks, Lumi, Marmalade, Omnom, Steggy, TriSarahTops

Week One Eliminations:
Audy, Casanova, Eternity, Gringoamericano, JosephHazel2, Megsug, Messenger, Moonwatcher, Morrigan, Nieblur,

Week Two Eliminations:
Lumi - Mother of Exiles
" I wish I could say that my love story began by romancing the girl with sweet words... "
Olivedreams - Bandit
" Slowly, the warm breeze that has tickled the day is replaced by a biting wind... "

Omnom - Harbringers of Revolution: Quarantine, 1236 words.
" Onto bigger and better things. "

TriSARAHtops - Like Other girls, 1194 words
" Yanton, like most suburbs, had two kinds of nightlife, and therefore, two kinds of people. "

Week Three:
No Eliminations

Week Four:
Ashnirai - You Can Be King Again, 3774 words.
" Don't forget you've got cello lessons today instead of tomorrow, okay? "

5kAwards:
BiscuitsLeGuin, BlueAfrica, ChildOfNowhere, Falconer, Fortis, Lareine, Regismare, Scarlettfire, Sirlight, Snazzy, Spiritedwolfe, TheSilverFox, TheStormAroundMe, Ventomology, Haredrier, Steggy

100Line Awards:
Apricity, Amelie, Hexglass, Nikayla, Niteowl, RippleGylf,

Week Five:
DigitalSqueak - From Unusual Perspectives, 4237 words.
" I gaze down at where my feet once were, now nestled in a pool of water, sustaining me for just long enough to be useful... "

Holysocks - The Fifths Season, 4231 words.
" Would it be betraying Elwin to do so? Just a little peek into history? "

Soulkana - Frozen Honour, 3192 words.
" The sun casted a rare, golden hue that spoke of winters approach... "

Steggy - Madly, 6163 Words.
" Along the line, the dream had shifted to long tunnel. A small dot had been at the end, blinking... "

Week Six:
Haredrier - Seven Sins for Seven Brothers, 6089 words.
" "Who was that?" / "My brother..." "

BiscuitsLeGuin - The Dragon and the Faerie, 5325 words.
" It wracked through Terri's head and she curled up into a ball, pressing her head into her knees to keep from crying out... "

Featherstone9086 - Huntress, 6452 words.
" I was a fast runner, but even I couldn’t rival the speed of a werewolf... "

Lareine - Understanding Starlight, 5592 words.
" The list of things he owned was very short, and he was sure that “freedom” had just left it.... "

Sirlight - Hidden Entity, 5333 words.
" Ilal and Anam followed from behind. No word came from her as she inspected the monstrosity... "

Week Seven:
Amelie - A More Graceful Flight, 106 lines.
" This could be the summer of shredded knuckles and sunburnt cheeks, lemonade that makes your teeth like chalk... "

Week Eight:
No Eliminations

10kAwards:
BlueAfrica, ChiravianSkies, ChildOfNowhere, Scarlettfire, Ventomology,

200LineAwards:
Nikayla, Ripplegylf

Remaining Contestants:

Apricity - Epeolatry//Pleonasm//Sabism, 162 lines.
BlueAfrica - You Are... The Chosen Grandma, 12553 words.
ChildOfNowhere - These Brilliant and Beautiful Lies, 12381 words.
Chivarian Skies - Unstoppable, 14315 words.
Enderflash - No Destination, 8907 words.
Falconer - How Was Your Day? 8928 words.
Fortis - The Fire Underneath of Things, 9073 words.
JumpingSheep - RadioFive, 9465 words.
Hexglass - Sunflowerhearts; stitched, 171 lines.
Nikayla - Gossamer, 272 lines.
Niteowl - The Transformation of Isabella, 186 lines.
Regismare - His Perfect Machine, 9930 words.
Ripplegylf - Roots, 252 lines.
Scarlettfire - Equivelant Worlds, 10861 words.
TheSilverFox - Blessed are the People, 7292 words.
Spiritedwolfe - The Memories Tatooed on his Skin, 8726 words.
TheStormAroundMe - We May Never Breathe Again, 11274 words.
Ventomology - Conics unfortunately, 14109 words.

560 Reviews

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:07 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Tagfest!

@Apricity @ChildOfNowhere @ChiravianSkies @EnderFlash @Falconer @Fortis @jumpingsheep @hexglass @Nikayla @regismare @SpiritedWolfe @TheSilverFox @Ventomology

You can do it guys! Remember, every word you write is one word more than you had before. The first one is always the hardest.

560 Reviews

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:07 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

@Apricity @Childofnowhere @ChiravianSkies @EnderFlash @Fortis @jumpingsheep @Nikayla @niteowl @regismare @RippleGylf @ScarlettFire @SpiritedWolfe @TheSilverFox @TheStormAroundMe @Ventomology

Did the zombie apocalypse happen already? Where are my Warriors? What happened to my sweet bards? Did my rogues join the legions of the undead?

Get those chapters in!

289 Reviews

Reviews: 289
Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:55 pm
View Likes
MissGangamash says...

Hey guys! You’re probably wondering who this rando is but I’m a fellow Young Writer and I have been asked by the lovely @Tenyo if I could give a little pep talk and talk about my experience writing my novel The Progeny (Prologue). It is complete (but editing is never really ever finished, right?) and I am uploading the chapters every week on here, I think I have about 6 or 7 more to go. I’ve recently just uploaded chapter 49 and have caught Tenyo’s attention most probably because… that’s a lot of chapters! But I’ve stuck with the novel and have made it to the end. So I’m just going to write a few pointers and tips and things you’ll probably experience when attempting to finish a novel. I hope it helps!
To start off, here’s a harsh truth for you: Your first novel is not going to be great. That’s just a fact. Maybe, if you’ve read enough, done enough research etc it could be good. But it’s not going to be your best work. So your first novel can go one of two ways:
1) You’ve keep redrafting and redrafting as your experience grows and you’ll make it into something you can be truly proud of.
Or…
2) You’ll think… ‘what was I thinking? This is terrible. I’m going to scrap this and start completely from scratch. I can do so much better!’
I finished my first novel when I was 16 and I’m scared to go anywhere near it now. I’ve developed so much as a writer since then that I feel like reading it will make my eyes bleed.
So, since that horrendous book, I have written and completed 6 more novels. Here’s some tips on how to make it to the finish line.

1. Plan! Plan the hell out of that thing. Always have notebooks knocking around so when you have an idea you can jot it down and go back to it. Eventually things will start slotting into place. Characters. Setting. Themes. Titles. Relationships.

2. When you’re at the point where things are vaguely becoming one big idea, get some A2 paper and some coloured pens and mind map until your fingers hurt! Stick those mind maps up on your wall so when you’re not writing they can watch over your shoulder, silently judging you for not sitting down and cracking on with your story.

3. Write a timeline. There is nothing worse than having awesome characters and an awesome world to put them in but having no idea what to do with them. So write down key points in your plot. Just the major things at first and then as you start writing and the story kinda starts taking on a lifeform of its own (I’m not the only one that happens to, right?), you can then fill in the smaller details between the big, pivotal moments.

4. Upload it onto a writing website, like this, or y’know… any other side websites you’re sneaking off to late at night. Because then you’ll get an audience. An audience that is dying to know what is going to happen next! They’re going to force you to sit at your desk (or on the floor, like me) and keep your story’s heart beating.

What I do is have a good start on my novel before uploading so then if I do get side-tracked… I can still upload and no one will know that I’ve been in the corner of my room rocking slowly back and forth for the past 3 weeks obsessing over what is going to happen with characters X and Y.

5. Keep going back a rereading what you’ve already got. This is really good for when you do have a break. It is incredibly annoying when you’ve left an unfinished novel sitting there so long that you’ve forgotten about it and then finding it and attempting to carry it on. Ideas could have been lost (but not if you’ve kept your trusty notebooks!) and worst of all, your passion for the story could have been snuffed out. It’s so hard to revisit a character and attempt to write in their voice when you’ve left them high and dry. This can cause your characters to become very wishy washy because you’ve got nothing to latch onto.

6. Read other works in the same genre as your work while you are writing. It can help you with your writing style and also make you change things if you find something that is a little too similar to what you are creating. It’s very difficult to write something completely unique because there is just so much out there but it’s best to try and not be too similar to other works. You will also notice what there is too much of and too little of in your genre and you can work around that.

7. This is probably going to go against everything I have just said but it has to be said. Don’t write if you’re not in the mood. You’ll just end up writing garbage. And if you write garbage you’ll lose faith in yourself and your story. So do take those breaks when you need them!

Well, it’s annoyed me that I have 7 points and not a round 5 or 10 but that’s all I can really think of. I hope this has been some use to you guys and if you do have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask :)

Good luck with all of your novels! Just think positive thoughts and you’ll smash it.

560 Reviews

Sat May 06, 2017 1:37 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

@Apricity @ChildOfNowhere @ChiravianSkies @EnderFlash @Falconer @Fortis @jumpingsheep @Nikayla @niteowl @SpiritedWolfe @TheSilverFox @TheStormAroundMe @Ventomology @Holysocks

You can do it guys. Monday is the three month mark, don't lose it now!

560 Reviews

Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

@ScarlettFire ;]

560 Reviews

Sat May 13, 2017 10:29 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Tagfest!

@Apricity @ChildofNowhere @ChiravianSkies @EnderFlash @Falconer @Fortis @jumpingsheep @KaraStevens @Holysocks @Nikayla @niteowl @ScarlettFire @SpiritedWolfe @TheSilverFox @TheStormAroundMe @Ventomology

Fortune Cookie Wisdom of the Week: What isn't started today... will probably be done in a flurry of panic half an hour to midnight tomorrow, right?

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:04 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Tagfest!

@Apricity @ChiravianSkies @Falconer @fortis @jumpingsheep @SpiritedWolfe @TheSilverFox @Ventomology

(If you noticed someone who posted last week and got missed here, feel free to tag them!)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:57 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Tagfest!

@ChiravianSkies @Falconer @fortis @jumpingsheep @SpiritedWolfe @TheSilverFox

(If you noticed someone who posted last week and got missed here, feel free to tag them!)

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:51 pm
Poopsie says...

WANNA KNOW WHO GOT THE FLAG?????????

YOU GUESSED IT
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:05 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Tagfest!

@ChiravianSkies @Falconer @fortis @jumpingsheep @SpiritedWolfe @Ventomology

(If you noticed someone who posted last week and got missed here, feel free to tag them! Apologies for forgetting this last night.)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:42 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Tagfest! No publishing just now because Review Day, so make sure to get your week's writing into the Week 19 club threat if you turn it in within the next twenty-four hours.

@ChiravianSkies @Falconer @fortis @jumpingsheep @Ventomology

(If you noticed someone who posted last week and got missed here, feel free to tag them! Apologies for forgetting this last night.)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:40 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Tagfest!

@ChiravianSkies @Falconer @fortis @jumpingsheep @Ventomology @SpiritedWolfe

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:05 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Tagfest! Sorry I'm so late this week.

@ChiravianSkies @Falconer @fortis @jumpingsheep @Ventomology @SpiritedWolfe

When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind