Young Writers Society

The Big Complain-About-Writing Thread

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:21 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

In the absence of chat, we're going to need somewhere to complain about being blocked, or hating what you've written, or not having written at all, and for someone to support you through that.

This is that place!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:11 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Stop giving me places to complain and procrastinate on writing! XD

I can't write right now (heh) ughhhh

I have all these ideas in my head but seriously putting them down on paper is terrible. My writing even bores me when I re-read it.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:26 pm
View Likes
Dest says...

The number one thing I hate about writing is this irrational anxiousness I get sometimes. At times, I will feel such apprehension while editing/writing, since all I can think about is how no one will like it or what is wrong with it. Other times, I feel everything I write is gold, and I have to write words on everything- sticky notes, receipts for gum, math notes, etc

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:40 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@Omnom - your status was my inspiration for this.

Like both of you, I currently am in that place where I just think, "Everything I write sucks! Why am I so bad at this?!"

It's terrible.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:50 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Haha I thought so :P

but yeah, even my action scenes are really boring right now. It really puts me off of writing when I re-read it and think it's not terrible, just really boring. To me, that's even worse. I can live with it being terrible XD

sass levels loading

[he/him]

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Yikes. Yeah, I have to agree with @Dest and @Omnom. I get like that a lot.

I also really dislike naming worlds/towns/kingdoms/any place... it might sound silly but it's kept me from writing things in the past! These days I'm getting better at just slapping a temporary name on things and carrying on my merry way.
100% autistic

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:38 am
View Likes
Mea says...

@Holysocks - saaame. That's seriously the biggest thing that will stop me in my tracks when writing. Character names, too. Lately I've just been finding an appropriate random generator on this site (which is amazing, it has name generators for everything) and generating names until I find one I like.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:04 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Honestly yeah i suck at naming things as well. It takes me forever to name people for my SBs, and the countries in my latest SB went through like five names.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:15 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Yeah, I like naming characters (unless they're side characters- I don't like naming side characters) personally... but naming places? HENG.
100% autistic

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:24 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

The majority of the enjoyment I get out of writing is making the world. So I love naming places, people, and species.

I hate how awkward my dialog is though.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:30 am
View Likes
KiraThePotatoChip says...

Writing good stories in general. Actually, my biggest problem is being so critical of my stories that they get diluted and cliche at times.
Bisexual Disaster, Master Stroke of a human being, may or may not incite a revolution.

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:10 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

;_; everyone's writing fiction. I'm gonna be the oddity and complain how in a memoir, you never know what to put in and what to take out. 30 mins out of a 40min sesh is basically, 'do I keep this or nah?' 'do I write this event or that event?'

epitome of indecisiveness
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:06 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

Yikes, @Apricity, I can see that being difficult. I've also wanted to try to start a memoir but at this point my life is way too boring for that to happen and I just don't feel in the mood for it. Other than that I've been digging through/brainstorming new ideas prose-wise. For poetry, by now I've ditched the project Seaside but that does give me an opportunity to still write about it so I may either go back to that or use that idea for something else.

I have a story called "Improvisers" for now that's prose that I haven't ever really started but I'm still hung up on that idea is that it's normal people trying to cope in a world with people who use magic and where magic is considered to be upperclass (not in all cases) but that world is one that stills fascinates me.

Because, the protagonists of the story are called these "Improvisers" and they fight with whatever that's around them, even if it's insane like plates or boxes of cereal or old clocks. The last idea is one that I have ideas running through my head for like crazy and I might as well write it so I think I'll kick-off from there and then work on poetry. Rambling always helps.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:35 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Guys seriously, naming things is the worst. Especially last names and places. I have come up with a solution for this whereby I just use someone's name from YWS and come back to it at a later time (although a lot of these names have stuck as well, oops).

But yeah, sometimes I write "they were on their way to..." and then stop. Open the word doc a month later, realise I still don't have a name for the place and then it dies.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:15 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

@StellaThomas I'M WITH YOU THERE. I'd have stories where I'm so far in and none of my characters or places have names yet. So, a sentence would be "_____ sauntered into the ______ castle, and shoved her coats into _____'s arms." And I'm just sitting here like "hmm.... good enough."

sass levels loading

[he/him]

I am big enough to admit I am often inspired by myself.
— Leslie Knope