Young Writers Society

Advice for New Users

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

When you're doing something for the first time, it's always helpful to get some advice from someone who has done it before! That's the basis for the concept of this thread. Experienced members of the site post their advice about various aspects of Young Writers Society, and new members can use this thread as a resource. No matter how long you've been a member, if you have something you would like to say about Young Writers Society, you can post it here! You can also post as many times as you like, as long as the information is helpful and isn't repeating something you've already said.

There is already a FAQ for New Users thread; if you're a new member in need of answers for a specific questions, you should definitely check that out!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:23 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

When writing reviews, always try to include something you enjoyed about the work while providing constructive criticism! The advice you give in your review helps out the writer a lot, and the positive remarks about their work makes their day. ♡
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:25 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

From my experience, when you get a review, it's always a good idea to respond and, at the least, thank the reviewer for their time. It's also a great time to open a discussion about their points and how you can improve your work! Who knows? It could be the beginning of a wonderful friendship! (And it certainly helps hone your ideas on writing and reviewing!)
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:54 pm
View Likes
BeTheChange says...

Make use of all the different resources around the site. Of course you should take any constructive reviews into account, but the forums and clubs have a lot of value as well! (I'd recommend the club "Character Interviews")

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:23 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

I meant to add this article a while ago but I've been busy/kept forgetting.

How to Respond to Critiques-This article is really helpful for when you get that first review that goes beyond "OMG this is great!" It's sometimes tough to hear criticism, but nearly all YWS-ers are coming from a place of trying to be helpful.

I also recommend perusing the Knowledge Base. It contains everything from how to punctuate dialogue to explaining capitalization in poetry to how to code things in YWS forums. And each forum has an index to help you find what you're looking for. :D
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

We join for the writing and stay for the community!
— Horisun