z

Young Writers Society

What are you currently reading?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:19 pm
Nate says...

Right now, I'm on the third (or fourth depending on how you count it) book of Frank Herbert's Pandora trilogy / quartet. A friend recommended it to me a year ago, and it's about the colonization of a planet called Pandora and the creation of an artificial intelligence that the people there come to worship as a god. It's definitely an interesting series of books in that they're thought provoking, but the writing seems kind of sloppy to me. A lot of the themes Herbert explores are also covered in his book Dune, which is a masterpiece. So in the end, I wouldn't recommend the Pandora books (unless you're a big sci-fi fan), but I would of course recommend Dune.

What's everyone else reading right now? Would you recommend it to others?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:30 pm
StellaThomas says...

Currently reading The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. Would recommend to anyone familiar with Austen's novels (otherwise a lot of the context is lost).
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:55 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I'm currently reading In the Shadow of Blackbirds or something, which is kinda cool and quirky so far. Plus I got it for five bucks! It's about the black plague I think... but it's got ghosts and stuff in it. Or I think it does.
100% autistic

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:00 pm
Featherstone says...

Falconry Equipment by Kimsey and Hodge.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:59 pm
tigeraye says...

Legally Dead by Edna Buchahan...it's an interesting take on the ethicality of witness protection programs that I never thought about before.
dot

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:05 pm
Mageheart says...

I'm currently reading The Barren Earth by Evan DeCarlo, the first book in the the Children of the Noah series. It's a book someone in my book club chose. It's definitely well written (and has many pages) but I think I've figured out a plot twist and the implications of the plot twist are depressing ones. But I'm still staying hopeful, and it is an enjoyable read! ♡
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:26 pm
Snazzy says...

I'm currently reading My Name is Mahtob by Mahtob Mahmoody. It's really enjoyable so far (a real page-turner), and I also like that it's true. A real inspiration to me, at the moment.
Disciple of Christ • Coffee Addict • Poetry Consumer

Formerly SnazzyPencil

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:33 pm
Mea says...

I'm currently reading Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb, which is book 2 in the trilogy, and let's just say I enjoyed the first book so much I couldn't make myself wait 3+ weeks for my hold on this one to come in, so I just bought the e-book. Which is something I almost never do without reading the book first.

So basically it's really good and I'm loving it. It was a random library find, and it's been so long since I've found such a good new author, especially at random.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:35 am
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

Star Wars: Catalyst. It is a prequel novel to Rogue One.

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:45 pm
Apricity says...

Currently reading...too many books at the moment. But novel wise, Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:00 pm
BeTheChange says...

I'm reading "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater. It's enjoyable, albeit a little weird.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:47 pm
View Likes
Dreamy says...

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I'd recommend it to those who don't find fantasy exciting, like me. The Potter series has definitely changed my opinion about fantasy.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:24 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

I'm reading Red Rising but very slowly xD

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:45 pm
View Likes
EverStorm says...

I'm reading the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (the third in the series :3 )

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 pm
View Likes
Masquerade says...

I just finally started The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater after many many recommendations.
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

But there was no goat man, there was NEVER any goat man!
— OSP Red