z

Young Writers Society

What are you currently reading?

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:11 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I'm reading lots for work (no, like, seriously. It's usually 10ish picture books a week just for that), especially since it's winter break currently, and I said I'd give myself a bit of a break from kids lit (or at least stuff that's aimed at someone younger than 13). Oh well.

A couple of my 4th/5th graders told me I had to read a book called Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel, and it's not bad. I also have a graphic novel about Rapunzel from Shannon Hale I'm slowing working my way through.

I'm also planning on blowing through Peter Brown's The Wild Robot before Monday so I can get it on the shelf. Only mostly because it keeps coming up in Newbery discussions. And not because I adore all his picture books.

Things not work-related: I have... something I'm reading on my kindle, but I can't for the life of me remember what. Knowing what I've been reading lately, it falls somewhere between "literature" and "women's fiction," depending who you ask.

I think I may almost be ready to read Raven Boys! I have to be in the right mindset to read anything that sounds remotely dystopian.

And this isn't counting my quiet corners of fandom ^^
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 pm
haredrier says...

Currently reading "Ready Player One", it's quite fun and interesting.
Death isn't cruel- merely terribly, terribly good at his job.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:31 pm
birk says...

Currently rereading 'House of Leaves', as well as 'Mortal Engines' by Philip Reeves.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 am
Carlito says...

I just started The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. (I adore Gladwell!)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:59 am
maisewriting says...

I'm reading two books simultaneously: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater and The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Both brilliant books!

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:04 pm
herbgirl says...

Burr by Gore Vidal. It's an older book, so i'd recommend it to higher level readers. It's a novel, so partially fictional, about the disaster of a founding father Aaron Burr. If you're interested in in history, you might enjoy it, otherwise, you might want to pass.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:16 pm
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah, dedicated to Agatha Christie. Although I usually don't enjoy books of characters by authors I love (Agatha) done by other authors (Sophie), this book is surprisingly intriguing and entertaining, and does Hercule Poirot justice.
I would honestly recommend this book to all Agatha Christie/ murder mystery novels. This is not merely a fanfiction of Hercule Poirot, but an amazing book that has the blessing of the Agatha Christie Estate.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:21 pm
BeTheChange says...

I'm reading "Believing Is Seeing: Seven Stories" by Diana Wynne Jones. It's surprisingly profound--I expected a cute middle grade book, but that isn't what I got! I'd recommend it to those who enjoy fantasy and philosophy.

276 Reviews

Reviews: 276
Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:45 pm
View Likes
rosette says...

I am currently reading The Complete Short Stories of Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie.
Best. Stories. Ever.
On earth I long to be like Him

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 am
EmmVeePi says...

Just finished 'Crafting Dynamic Dialogue' from Writers Digest and have now resumed 'Unfinished Tales' by JRR and Christopher Tolkien.

624 Reviews

Reviews: 624
Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:58 am
Casanova says...

I'm rereading Brisingr in the Inheritance Cycle for the second or third time!
Chat's bangin' yo

Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird