z

Young Writers Society

What are you currently reading?

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:11 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I'm reading lots for work (no, like, seriously. It's usually 10ish picture books a week just for that), especially since it's winter break currently, and I said I'd give myself a bit of a break from kids lit (or at least stuff that's aimed at someone younger than 13). Oh well.

A couple of my 4th/5th graders told me I had to read a book called Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel, and it's not bad. I also have a graphic novel about Rapunzel from Shannon Hale I'm slowing working my way through.

I'm also planning on blowing through Peter Brown's The Wild Robot before Monday so I can get it on the shelf. Only mostly because it keeps coming up in Newbery discussions. And not because I adore all his picture books.

Things not work-related: I have... something I'm reading on my kindle, but I can't for the life of me remember what. Knowing what I've been reading lately, it falls somewhere between "literature" and "women's fiction," depending who you ask.

I think I may almost be ready to read Raven Boys! I have to be in the right mindset to read anything that sounds remotely dystopian.

And this isn't counting my quiet corners of fandom ^^
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 pm
haredrier says...

Currently reading "Ready Player One", it's quite fun and interesting.
Death isn't cruel- merely terribly, terribly good at his job.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:31 pm
birk says...

Currently rereading 'House of Leaves', as well as 'Mortal Engines' by Philip Reeves.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 am
Carlito says...

I just started The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. (I adore Gladwell!)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:59 am
maisewriting says...

I'm reading two books simultaneously: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater and The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Both brilliant books!

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:04 pm
herbgirl says...

Burr by Gore Vidal. It's an older book, so i'd recommend it to higher level readers. It's a novel, so partially fictional, about the disaster of a founding father Aaron Burr. If you're interested in in history, you might enjoy it, otherwise, you might want to pass.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:16 pm
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah, dedicated to Agatha Christie. Although I usually don't enjoy books of characters by authors I love (Agatha) done by other authors (Sophie), this book is surprisingly intriguing and entertaining, and does Hercule Poirot justice.
I would honestly recommend this book to all Agatha Christie/ murder mystery novels. This is not merely a fanfiction of Hercule Poirot, but an amazing book that has the blessing of the Agatha Christie Estate.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:21 pm
BeTheChange says...

I'm reading "Believing Is Seeing: Seven Stories" by Diana Wynne Jones. It's surprisingly profound--I expected a cute middle grade book, but that isn't what I got! I'd recommend it to those who enjoy fantasy and philosophy.

276 Reviews

Reviews: 276
Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:45 pm
View Likes
rosette says...

I am currently reading The Complete Short Stories of Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie.
Best. Stories. Ever.
On earth I long to be like Him

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 am
EmmVeePi says...

Just finished 'Crafting Dynamic Dialogue' from Writers Digest and have now resumed 'Unfinished Tales' by JRR and Christopher Tolkien.

624 Reviews

Reviews: 624
Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:58 am
Casanova says...

I'm rereading Brisingr in the Inheritance Cycle for the second or third time!
Chat's bangin' yo

When Larry King retires in 120 years John Mulaney should replace him.
— The Internet