Young Writers Society

2016 YWS Yearbook

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:25 am
View Likes
Audy says...

Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory. ~ Dr. Seuss

You may post anything you like: shout-outs to specific people, stories or poems you really liked, what you read this year, pictures, favorite quote, etc. However, you may make only one post! Although you can edit that one post as much as you like.

Grab your spots, sit back, and enjoy the memories <3 What an amazing year, everyone! And to those who are new with us, join in! You will look back upon it next year and smile.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

696 Reviews

Supporter

696 Reviews

Supporter

696 Reviews

Supporter

696 Reviews

Supporter

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:46 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Booyah front page! *spot taken* :D

What even happened this year:
*I became moldy in January (wow almost a year ago!). I've had so much fun getting to know the other mods and helping out behind the scenes. I'm looking forward to all that is to come next year!
*I finished novel 5 - Liz + Zac on 1/27 at 10:49pm. One goal for 2017 is to write the 2nd draft. Another goal for 2017 is to write novel 6. I already have the idea brewing :)
*Neville the bunny hopped his way into many hearts (as he's prone to doing....)
*I FINISHED GRADUATE SCHOOL AND GOT A REAL JOB
*I finished the 4th draft of my 3rd novel - Captive on 7/18. I made a lot of huge changes and it was so worth it <3
*Harry.Potter.and the.Cursed.Child.
*Fantastic.Beasts.and where.to find them.
*I finished Team Tortoise during RevMo 8)
*I wrote some songs and many reviews :)

My favorite YWS memory of the year: Harry Potter review day when I got to lead Team Granger to an ALMOST VICTORY until Team Potter swept in and stole the glory in the final hour (as Harry tends to do.... :P). team granger 4 lyfe

A few shout-outs:
Spoiler! :

@Sins - come back. i think we're kindred spirits and i love your writing and i miss you.

@Mea - never go away and keep giving me awesome things to read. <3

@Sachiko - I'm going to spend 2017 patiently waiting for the best news eva coming from you. go get it!! :D

@Mage - you really are the nicest person on this site. never go away and never change!

This really is the best site and I'm so thankful to everyone that keeps coming back and making this a fun place to come back to day after day. Thank you to the many, many people that gave me good things to read this year. Ya'll are talented and you know who you are. I'm super excited for all to come in 2017, and as I always tell Neville the bunny, "keep being awesome".

<3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

*nabs spot*

I guess I better start writing this, because if I don't it will either be too long for one last-minute-go... or I'll forget! Or something will come up and I'll sadly watch as the new year comes and goes.

The post ACTUALLY starts HERE:

*waves* Come January 15th I'll have been with YWS for four years! It feels like it's been WAY longer! As usual, I've leanrt SO much this year, just by being on YWS and participating in various things.

...This year I may have actually got the hang of reviewing. AKA I actually review now, which is cool. It's helped my writing out immensely. This year's also the year, I think, that I actually started enjoying writing poetry, and sitting down to write poetry, and improving my poetry. Before I used to not like it at all, but thanks to many awesome poets on YWS, poetry has worked it's way into a very special place in my heart (a damp corner where I throw my frustrating thoughts, traumatic events, heartbreak, disappointments, etc. It makes for some random poetry... just kidding... mostly). I completed NaPo for the first time this year! I also made a lot of progress from doing Camp Nano this year, which was also awesome. Nano it'self turned out to not work out though because I went and got all twitter-pated, so writing was kind of the last thing on my mind, sadly. XP

ALSO this year I discovered that writing on mobile can be really helpful. So I've been writing in bed, on my ipod for the last couple weeks. I sort of got out of the habit, so bleh, but hopefully I'll get back into it soon. This is going to be a super boring post! :shock:

I joined the mod-squad this year, which is teaching me a lot. I also have tea right now, I just took a sip-- and I think that's a HUGE accomplishment! :P Considering I didn't burn my tongue.

Shout-outs (in no particular order):

(I wasn't going to do these this year, but here we are)

Shout out to @Kaos for teaching me how to spell spaghetti so I wouldn't look like a goof when I made a bunch of signs for a spaghetti dinner a couple months ago. You're really awesome in general <3

...stay tuned.
100% autistic

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:49 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Mine!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:02 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

2016, am I right?

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not sure what I want to do this year. Maybe just quick sentences that work well for each person. Yeah.

In no particular order:

Kaos --> Your poetry has become a highlight of my weekly routine, and I hope it stays that way.

Amelie --> You're so absurdly talented that it's unfair and joyous at the same time. You're going to be so wondrous.

Crysi --> <3 I'm still bad at dealing with engagement dynamics and will probably be bad at dealing with my own one day looool, but you're my bestest greatest. Pls to remember.

Rosendorn --> It takes someone who's known someone nearly a decade to recognize neuroses and cut swaths through the fog just to say "look at your wrist already." i think endure; will come soon. like really soon. it needs to.

Auxiira --> My Bard. <3 One day I will have you playing Dungeons & Dragons so you can be a proper Bard and (hopefully) not run into walls along the journey. You are ultimate and powerful and know more about rocks than an earthbender.

Mems --> It's always so relaxing to share cookies and tea with you in chat. What else do I even need to say? You should always feel fab and lush bc I said so.

Fox --> Our talks are (intermittent) and (lovely). I keep hearing piano pieces and thinking "I bet Fox would like playing this."

Astral --> Because of you saying the word 'reiki', I've found the only therapist that's ever worked for me. Your different approaches to things keep me grounded and your optimism is invaluable. You're a wonder, Jaeger.

Rydia --> YOURS.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

696 Reviews

Supporter

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:16 am
View Likes
Steggy says...

Mine~
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:18 am
View Likes
Willard says...

Snag

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:24 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

I love everyone on Yewis and you've all supported me tremendously, whether you know it or not. I'm not naming names, because I want to name books instead. Below is a list of everything (excluding papers, magazines, brochures, picture books, textbooks, etc. Okay, maybe not everything) that I read in two thousand and sixteen. 81 total.

Spoiler! :

Anne of Avonlea (Lucy Maud Montgomery)
Anne of the Island (ditto)
Anne of the WIndy Poplars (ditto)
Anne's House of Dreams (ditto)
Anne of Ingleside (ditto)
Rainbow Valley (ditto)
Cold Meat and How to Disguise It (Hunter Davies)
Rilla of Ingleside (Lucy Maud Montgomery)
Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel (M Gerber)
The Wild Girl (Kate Forsyth)
See How They Run (Ally Carter)
Planet of the Apes (Pierre Boulle)
Dragonfly in Amber (Diana Gabaldon)
The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgsen Burnett)
Brooklyn (Colm Tobien)
Gone (Michael Grant)
Landline (Rainbow Rowell)
Voyager (Diana Gabaldon)
Lady Midnight (Cassie Clare)
A Court of Thorns and Roses (Sarah J Maas)
The Circle and the Cross (Caiseal Mor)
Arrival of the Gods (Erich Von Daniken)
The Odyssey (Homer)
The Dreadful Judgement (Neil Hanson)
Drums of Autumn (Diana Gabaldon)
ApocalyptiGirl (Andrew MacLean)
The Other Boleyn Girl (Philipa Gregory)
The Alchemist (Michael Scott)
The Magician (ditto)
A Court of Mist and Fury (Sarah J Maas)
Firebird (R Garcia Robertson)
Passenger (Alexander Bracken)
Totems (Brad Steiger)
The Trials of Apollo (Rick Riordan)
UFOS (John B Alexander)
Teacher Man (Frank McCourt)
Five are Together Again (Enid Blyton)
Inkheart (Cornelia Funke)
Inkspell (ditto)
Meridon (Philipa Gregory)
Kindred Spirits (Rainbow Rowell)
The Exile (Diana Gabaldon)
Inkdeath (Cornelia Funke)
The Fiery Cross (Diana Gabaldon)
Orbistville (Bob Shaw)
Saga Volume 6 (Brian Vaughan)
Jack of Eagles (James Blish)
Attachments (Rainbow Rowell)
Desperate Games (Pierre Boulle)
The Reign of Henry VIII (David Starkey)
Theogany and Works and Days (Hesiod)
Dorothy Must Die (Danielle Paige)
The Wicked Will Rise (ditto)
Swallows and Amazons (Arthur Ransome)
The Dream Thief (DeMatters and Ploog)
A Celtic Childhood (Bill Watkins)
Abadazad book 3 (DeMatters and Ploog)
Dorothy Must Die Stories vol2 (Danielle Paige)
Time Travelling with a Hamster (Ross Welford)
A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Diana Gabaldon)
The Moneyless Man (Mark Boyle)
Chamber of Secrets (JK Rowling)
Life in a Medieval Castle (Gies)
Possum Living (Dolly Freed)
Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor (Rick Riordan)
BZRK (Michael Grant)
What Colour is your Parachute (Richard Bolles)
Double Down (Jeff Kinney)
Yellow Brick War (Danielle Paige)
The Lie Tree (Francis Hardinge)
What the Papers Didn't Mean to Say (Fritz Spiegel)
Flawed (Cecelia Ahern)
Frontlines (Michael Grant)
Rebel of the Sands (Alwyn Hamilton)
The Cost of a Sparrow (Eric Watson)
Snicker the Brownie (Enid Blyton)
The Muse (Jessie Burton)
Catacomb (Madeleine Roux)
The WInd in the Willows Library (Kenneth Grahame)
The Adventures of Ulysses (Bernard Evslin)
Dan and Phil Go Outside (Dan Howell and Phil Lester)
Last edited by Dracula on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:31 am
View Likes
amelie says...

in honour of the year that 2016 was a year:
thank u 2016 4 showing me that life is werth living.
Last edited by amelie on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:34 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

January 1st of 2016 feels like it was an eternity ago! In between then and now, my name turned moldy and green. It also dropped "e36" off the end in favor of "cal." I penned twenty-six storybook posts, wrote exactly fifty reviews, and published four literary works, two of which somehow reached the literary spotlight. I also grew closer to a number of people through storybooking, the forums, and the people tab, and I love you all. <3

Most of all, thanks, YWS! Ever since I first joined you, you've given me an excuse to write and improve every single day. Sometimes it's writing a storybook post. Sometimes a review. Sometimes a poem with a friend. Sometimes an entry for a contest. Sometimes a character profile that teaches me what makes a good character, and what doesn't. Sometimes it's in the Character Interviews or Story Interviews club, where fellow writers help me weed out the flaws in my beloved main project. Sometimes it's just talking with someone.

May God bless 2017 as a wonderful new year, where we all can grow stronger through our struggles, be humble in our triumphs, and become the best versions of ourselves that we can be.

Shoutoutsssss - (alphabetized)

@AllisontheWriter - you have a great sense of humor and an even greater taste in music. I should probably make a lyric reference right about now, but ugh, even after all these years, I'm still not crazy enough! Anyway... uh oh, it smells like my fleetwood mac & cheese is burning. Help! I need somebody. Preferably a fireman, and one who's rushing in from the pouring rain. (Very strange.)

@AstralHunter - my oldest and dearest friend. I'm looking forward to the opportunity of working in an SB with you again.

Parsley, @Basil, Rosemary, and Thyme - Aussie herb! <3 That one night (day for you) we got to talk was a blast. Hopefully this year with Ashfall we'll become even closer.

@ChieRynn - cowboy heritage buddiessss!

@Falconer - your participation in LMS was amazinggg and I'd love to talk with you more because I think we share some interests - music, maybe? (; You're also super talented and nice, so that too.

@LeftyWriter - the creator of my favorite SB of all time, and the boss of writing action scenes. You're awesome.

@LordZeus - Axabelle. What? No... I did not just ship our characters. I would never do that!

@Mage - you're just awesome. I can't imagine there's a bad bone in your body. I think it's safe to say that you're YWS' main source of sunlight. ^_^

@Mea - I see you on the chat bar every so often when I'm on at a later time, so I think talking with you in your Japan time zone can easily be frequented. You're so lovely and kind, and it's hard to come by chapters on YWS as good as yours. It's oftentimes too difficult to find anything to critique. xD Oh, and you're also an awesome mod.

@Persistence - you're my YWS bestie, and I think that's enough said. Stay determined ;D

@Sacredlege - the most sacred of ledges. You're among the most enthusiastic participants I've worked with on an SB, and your writing is fabulous.

@SnazzyPencil - I'll have you know that I use the word "snazzy" quite frequently, out of habit, and whenever I do I'm reminded of a certain snazzy writing utensil. Your participation in YWS' Christian clubs, especially Daily Devotions, is unbeatable. Keep it up! <3

@Snoink - Catholic buds <3 I love your blog and I love Moth & Myth!

@soundofmind - one of the people I forgot to put in the collage. </3 You're so so so talented and I love your diverse ocs! Oh and uh, Bo is hawt.

@Steggy - the official dinosaur of YWS! You're so sweet and funny and I admire your dedication to SBs so very much. I remember the old days when you were always participating in at least twenty. Now's probably not much better.

@TheSilverFox - your writing style is amazing. An SB might be on a simple topic and you might be writing about a simple scene, but you're capable of approaching the point of view from every angle and enriching the mind of the reader with the full thoughts and senses of the character. It's just awesome.

@Vellichor - cowboyssss! Your dedication to the site is great. Keep it up!
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

Love is not an emotion. Love is a promise.
— 12th Doctor