z

Young Writers Society

What are your religious beliefs, if you have them?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:41 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

What are your religious beliefs, if you have them?

This isn't a discussion on which views are right. I'm just curious about knowing what beliefs you all hold when it comes to religion. And, if possible, could you explain why you have those beliefs? The answer can be as simple as your parents have raised you to be a part of that religion.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:56 pm
View Likes
Rosella says...

My religious beliefs? Well, since i go to a baptist school and I have gone to church in the early ages, I would consider myself a Christian. I believe there is a God above that created everything and has a purpose for everything/everyone. Even if I sometimes question it, and I can't fully understand it, I do believe that I was made by a God and that Jesus was the messiah that died for me to be alive today. Yet, I don't believe every other religion or people who don't believe him will go to Hell. I am not hateful towards any religion or the belief anyone has. :)
Isaiah 40:8 - "The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:08 pm
Mageheart says...

I'm accepting of all religious beliefs too, @deeproses! ^_^ I use to consider myself a Christian - a Protestant one, to be exact - because I went to a Protestant church for a couple of years. I realized my religious beliefs are more closely aligned to deism.

For anyone who doesn't know, deism is the belief that God created the universe and then let nature run its own course. I see the Bible (I haven't had a chance to learn much about any other religious texts) as something meant to teach people to be kind to each other.

I don't specifically believe in God; I believe that some all powerful being(s) created the universe. But if a miracle ever happens and I'm given a sign by that/those aforementioned being(s), then I'll start believing in that specific religion. It goes the other way too; if someone can prove to me that the universe created itself, I'll stop being a deist.

But no matter what, I'll always be kind to others and accept their beliefs - no matter what they are. ^_^
mage

queer and here.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:23 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...

I don't talk about myself much publicly, but I felt like sharing today, so

My view is that you can believe whatever, as long as it doesn't harm people or their well-being, and as long as you don't force it on people. Also I encourage discussions where people don't call each other names or think they're better than each other. I also don't have religious beliefs.
Deep thoughts remind me of unfinished

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:36 am
View Likes
Snazzy says...

I'm a Christian (baptist - yes, we do eat a lot ), for the sole reason that my God was gracious enough to send his only begotten son to save me from my sins. I believe in the Trinity, as God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit.

I do find it hard to "go with the flow" with other religions, because it is something I do not "do" because I was forced to, but because I chose to out of my own free will. This DOES NOT mean I will slap you with a Bible (KJV) and force you to believe what I believe. I believe that isn't true salvation anyway. It DOES mean I will present to you God's true Word, in a loving way.

I also believe in a close relationship with my creator (God), as He wants to have a close relationship with me too!)

Anyway, we celebrate Christmas and Easter, as well as observe the Lord's Supper once a year. :) I do go to church on Sunday mornings and evenings, and then on Wednesday nights as well.

I can honestly say, I cannot be swayed to a different belief, because I did come to believe what I do through my own choice.

(EDIT: haha - just noticed my signature actually goes along with that last bit! :D )
Disciple of Christ • Coffee Addict • Poetry Consumer

Formerly SnazzyPencil

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:05 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@Persistence, our beliefs are pretty much the same except for that last bit. ^_^

@SnazzyPencil, I celebrate Easter and Christmas too, but see them as special times to spend with the family I care about. And I also see Christmas as a time to give people gifts to show them you care about them (especially when you pick a gift you know they'll love ^_^).
mage

queer and here.

274 Reviews

Reviews: 274
Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:47 am
View Likes
cleverclogs says...

I'm an agnostic atheist, meaning that I don't claim to know for sure whether or not there's a god, but I'm inclined to believe that there isn't. I was raised Christian, but we abandoned our Baptist church years ago because my parents didn't like the community and didn't agree with their perspective on Christianity. We've tried a couple of churches after that, but haven't really found anything permanent, so I just fell out of religion and am inclined to be more skeptical and cynical now.
In the beginning, the universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams

This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:24 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

Christian. I don't go by a denomination, since that shouldn't matter. I was raised by Christian parents, but questioned it and looked deeper into what I was actually believing. I found that there's really "no other way". I believe the Bible (every bit of it) that Jesus died for our sins on the cross, that he rose again on the third day, and that one day he will come again.

Here is something someone else wrote that I rather like that pretty much sums most things up.
Spoiler! :

As for the “hot” issue of “religion”, be it understood that Christianity is NOT A RELIGION - religion is MAN’s way of reconciling Man to God; Christianity is GOD’s way of Reconciling God to Man! There’s quite a difference. Every problem the World has today, is a direct result of not doing it God’s way. The ONLY God’s way, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; NOT “allah”, Vishnu, Confucius, “secular Humanism”, a “Fifth of Old No. 7”, or a “Flying Spaghetti Monster".

I know this isn't a debate, hence the spoiler. But remember I didn't write that.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 pm
View Likes
Amabilia says...

I'm an evangelical christian...

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:56 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

I believe in Allah and Muhammad as His Messenger. I've read many stories in the al-Qur'an, and they pretty much persuaded me (demonstration from the past is always the best)... except for the homosexual part. See, the story in it is about an entire people of a village or something lusting over a couples of angels who disguised as hot men, and were punished because of that.

But that is lust. I prefer save sex over safe sex because the latter is really our attempt to put our lust in action, while the former is a pure activity between two married couple. Said people are pursuing safe sex so it's a big no-no for me.

Feelings, however, shouldn't be a sin. A man loving a woman shouldn't have more value than a man loving a man. Love should not be forbidden.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:53 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Agnostic, all religions could be true or false, I don't know and only care when I see social, emotional, or structural damage caused by someones faith. But people are flawed, and will think up many excuses, and warp many ideas in order to make themselves right. So that's rarely the fault of any religion by itself. So meh. There is no way to prove one of the millions of religions and denominations, and I have no interest in sorting through them, far more interesting things to study.
Last edited by Zolen on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:55 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

I'm quiet about this, but I'm an agnostic atheist. I'm generally respectful of all religious beliefs and tolerances (because I've seen a lot, both through the people I've met and through history), and I acknowledge religion as a complex and elaborate thought process whose legitimacy I cannot confirm or deny. But, I'll try to be as respectable and understanding as I can be, unless you aren't.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:44 am
Amnesia says...

Im Roman Catholic but im not very strict...if i was strict about it i wouldnt have friends and I wouldnt be Bi...I honestly dont see a reason why I should hate my satanic friends and I dont see a reason why my agonistic or atheiest friends should have to have my religion shoved down their throats its their beliefs and i have mine...God wont send me to hell for being who I am
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:19 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

I'm currently agnostic, but have been in a couple different versions of Christianity.

I was raised Greek Orthodox, but my family stopped going to church regularly sometime in middle school. This is around when I first had doubts about God and religion, but in high school I ended up going to a megachurch evangelical youth group with my friends. At first, it was more of a social thing for me, but I got more into it as time went on. Still, I didn't agree with everything the church said. In college, I spent time in and out of a similar church, culminating in a spring break mission trip that triggered a religious-themed manic episode. Amazingly enough, I went back to that church after I recovered, but later that year I reexamined my beliefs and realized they did not match the church at all. I called myself a deist for a time, but have since settled into a more agnostic point of view.

I think for me, the main draw of church was the promise of a community, but I never really felt like I fit in. I wouldn't mind having that community aspect in my life again, but I'd feel like a hypocrite going to a religious insitution for said community.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 pm
View Likes
CuriosityCat says...

Well, I like the label atheist or agnostic. I was raised in a Quaker/agnostic home, where my parents were totally fine with me figuring out my religious beliefs for myself. I basically stopped believing in a higher power at around the time when I stopped believing in the Easter Bunny. :P

Don't get me wrong, though, I have no problem with people having faith! I think that for many people it can help them strive to be better individuals, which is great. Many incredible things have come out of religious settings, too: great works of poetry, stunning music, and brilliant philosophy. I do not want to put a damper on anyone's faith, I just personally don't think the basis of many religions are plausible, and I am certainly not afraid to point out when religious beliefs start to become oppressive. :)
Nothing to see here, puny mortals. Move along.

"I’m always going to embarrass myself and I’m pretty comfortable with that now."
— Misha Collins

If you steal property, you must report its fair market value...
— John Oliver