z

Young Writers Society

What are your religious beliefs, if you have them?

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:59 am
View Likes
deleted5 says...

Atheist, in my opinion you can do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:35 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I've been starting to feel like I don't want to say what my religion is anymore online, because I've come across a lot of people that are just not fun. Not on YWS though, but I was raised paranoid- that's not my religion, to clarify. ;)

I'm kind of like a Jew, but I have no Jew-blood nor has my family ever converted into a traditional Jewish sect. We don't really believe quite like any other sects of Jews, so yeah. Life is kind of lonely in the belief area. To sum up my family's beliefs... we basically only follow what's in the Torah and Tanakh and leave out pretty well all of the traditional Jews' traditions and we don't follow the Talmud, either.
100% autistic

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:57 am
View Likes
Mea says...

I was raised LDS (Mormon), and decided for myself it was true around 12. Can't say there was any specific moment that made me go 'I believe,' just a lot of praying and gradually building a testimony.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:11 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'm born and raised Anglican/Episcopalian and that's what I believe - I don't talk about it much as I feel people are very quick to judge you for having faith, especially working in scientific fields as a lot of people seem to think the two are incompatible. Not to mention there's a lot of ill-will towards the Roman Catholic church in Ireland and people don't see much of a difference.

I try to abide by the central laws of Christianity, to me the main one - and the golden rule of all religions - is to love thy neighbour as thyself. I figure that if we stick by that law we can't go too far wrong.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:34 pm
View Likes
geoffles says...

I'm agnostic so I don't really care. I'm with AlexSushiDog in that I believe like, as long as you're not hurting anyone, it's okay. :>
just got back from a long break due to reasons. if i owe you something please let me know as i honestly don't remember. im sorry, im sorry, im sorry.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:27 am
View Likes
Scartuina says...

I'd say I don't have any real religious beliefs but I have a fair share of spiritual ones. I'm pretty in tune with the idea that we're not just small parts of the universe but that we are the universe. The idea that it starts now, the past was once the present and the future will be decided by the present, in this sense the present is always the most important time. I use these beliefs not a comfort or a cushion but more to reason with life and try to understand my mortality is a bit more. It has helped me lose fear of death, after all I don't mind if this facade I put up, this ego and persona of mine, if that dies I will not mind. My thoughts are not defined by these factors but by the inner self. And this inner self, these thoughts and ideas cannot die, even if my brain dies my thoughts will continue to be had in other brains, and my physical matter will go back to from whence it came.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:25 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

I'm a Roman Catholic. I was raised Catholic by my folks, but for a long time my faith was kind of mechanical. I didn't really understand it and so I was poorly equipped to follow it, much less share it in a thread like this (good job keeping things civil!)

When I was in College, I began attending a Baptist Bible Study. They'd bring their bible and I would bring my own Bible. In studying the Bible with them, I found that they were unable to fully explain certain passages, but by going to my Catholic roots, I would find the necessary context to understand the passages.

As I began to study Catholicism more closely, I discovered that at the very heart of the Catholic Faith was reason. Not everyone agrees with the Church on things like marriage, abortion, or pre-marital sex, but behind each of those things was a solid line of reasoning, without having to resort to a lame cop-out. You don't even have to use the Bible to refute skeptics.

Another aspect I like is the example of Jesus. There are plenty of personality cults out there, which form around people that claim to have talked to God; but Jesus's ministry was not like that. While many sought out Jesus and tried to make him King, Jesus actively avoided the crowds and any effort to make him a King.

Jesus also performed many miracles, big and small; when he was alone with others; or in front of large crowds. Even a highly public execution wasn't enough to keep Jesus from rising from the dead and appearing before hundreds of witnesses.

Even after Jesus ascended, the faith has continued to grow and miracles continue to occur even to the present day (Check out this article on Marian Apparitions.)

The Catholic Church may not be the most exciting faith out there; but when one takes the trouble to study it; they find such incredible depth!
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:40 am
View Likes
Aley says...

I'm shy like TheSilverFox about my beliefs too. I'm actually not of the Christian derivatives. My beliefs closer represent Buddhism, although I don't know any real in depth knowledge about the religion. I just know that when I read about it, I find things that I agree with, and believe which I've come to on my own through self-discovery.

It's really awkward for me to talk about religion because I feel like I'm being judged for not being of that group, despite being able to relate with my understanding of my spirituality to theirs. I often worry when I'm reviewing on here that someone will get mad at me if I review a religious poem because I 'just don't get it' because I'm not of their faith, and I don't want to argue about religion, even if I do want to share. It's an awkward balance.

For me, to be kind to others is a matter of course because it avoids suffering. To put suffering upon another person when you can relieve it is, well, ridiculous. Even if they're disrespecting me, I often don't speak up because I don't want to be the cause of more suffering. That can be why it's hard to talk up because people don't often understand this line of thinking compared to their bibles. They don't often see they aim to the same goal, so they choose to argue instead.

I suppose the reason I'm saying this is because I want to add another tally to the 'other' pool

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:53 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

I'm a Christian, but just saying that doesn't give much clarity, since there are many different branches of Christianity and there are a lot of differing theological views within the different denominations of the church and what not.

I believe that the Bible is the true word of God. All of it is true, and all of it is from God.

I believe in the Holy Trinity - the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I believe in the divinity and the humanity of Jesus, that he was truly the son of God, and that he came and lived here on the earth. Everything he did here on earth was a reflection of who God is. He died on the cross as the ultimate display of love, and his sacrifice made a way for us to be reconciled to God.

Spoiler! :

I believe that that there really is no point to life as long as life is lived without Jesus. What makes life worth living is the knowledge of Jesus Christ and what he’s done for us.

I believe that God created the earth, and created each one of us. God took on a human frame as a Jewish man named Jesus. He was fully God, fully man, and he really did live life here on earth as we do. He lived a sinless life, and he came to show us what God is like through how he lived. Everything he did pointed back to who God is. Jesus lived a life of suffering - he knew rejection, pain, and affliction - yet he always responded in love. Everything he did was an act of love.

I believe that Jesus doesn’t love us because we inherently deserve it or because we can earn his love. He loves us because he is our Father, our friend, our creator, and deeply desires a relationship with us, and because that's who he is. God is love. He wants to talk with us, and he desires an intimate relationship where we are as familiar with his heart as he is with ours.

Jesus’ greatest act of love was when he humbled himself and displayed the greatest act of love by dying on the cross so that we may have life, if we choose to believe.

We are broken, imperfect people. We are sinners, and we can never be perfect. But Jesus, who was a sinless man, died and paid the price for the sins of the world. He took on the punishment for our wickedness (which is so great in comparison to God’s perfect love and judgement) and he overcame the power of death in three days and now he is alive forever. Jesus came to save our souls - and even more than that, Jesus came to save the whole earth. God has a bigger plan than just our personal souls being saved. He plans on bringing complete restoration to the world.

I believe that when we look at the crises and the brokenness of our world, we can find hope in Jesus and his plan. Jesus, who is alive, is coming back again, and all of those who love him and follow him will be raised from the dead as he was. He’ll be bringing his justice to the earth, and all things that stand against his perfect love will be destroyed. Every government, and every oppressive societal structure will be torn down under the eternal rule and reign of a perfect king and leader - unlike which we’ve ever had before. This king is King Jesus.

This perfect, loving God has masterfully created this plan to redeem all of humanity to him.

I believe that what God says is greater than what I say, and that I should submit to his leadership and agree with what he says is true. I look to him and his word to define what life should look like - what love should look like.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, that Jesus sent after he ascended into heaven to the right hand of God the Father. I believe that the Holy Spirit (being fully God) lives and dwells on the inside of all believers, and that by God's grace, the Holy Spirit gives us the power to live like Jesus did - and that includes a lifetime of being perfected by God's love, being sanctified, and moving in displays of power (miracles, healings, etc).

Uh... that's the basics I guess.

It's nice to be able to write all this out.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

Random avatar

Reviews: 139
Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:56 pm
View Likes
deleted21 says...

Well, I'm a Muslim and I've been always proud of my beliefs except for, only for over a year, I think I don't know many things about my religion yet, I've so much to learn and that -- I will.
Why do I have these beliefs -- Well, it's easy. My family performs this religion and I never thought differently.
Islam is such a controversial topic today and for what I study, I don't find a reason why shouldn't it be! But, I personally believe, my religion needs understanding and learning -- plenty of it to avoid those horrific misinterpretations. :)

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:31 pm
View Likes
Kazeybear says...

I was born and raised a Jehovah's Witness. There's this huge misconception that Jehovah's Witnesses are brainwashed and part of a sect, and that we're odd for going round and telling people our beliefs. People think that we're trying to convert them. In some ways, we are. That's our main goal. But really we just want people to realise who we are and see things as the issues they are.

I've never been forced into my beliefs. If I turned round and told my parents I didn't want to be a Jehovah's Witness, then fair enough. We have a chat about it, but it's my choice. And I've chosen to believe.

We follow the Bible closely, and my looking deeply into it we can see clearly the prophecies and symbology used. We believe Gods name is Jehovah, as we find the Hebrew letters YHWH on ancient manuscripts. YHWH in English is Jehovah. And we also believe that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are three separate entities.

Anyway, yeah, that's what I believe.

~Kazey
We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect - Anaïs Nin
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you - Ray Bradbury

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:07 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

I'm agnostic! I believe that there could possibly be some higher order guiding us, but not one specific god personality that should be revered and loved. I'm more inclined to designate it as fate or something similar, like inevitability, yet I have no proof of it and only keep it as a vague thought in the back of my mind as I need for things with a greater order to be proven before I believe.

I've encountered Catholicism through my french scout group, and I never found anything wrong with worship, it just never felt right to me, most specifically the idea of one true god etc.

I have no problem with religion, save when it is pushed in my face or used to elevate one group of society above others.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:58 pm
View Likes
reikann says...

The words I use for myself are 'Neo-Wiccan atheist'.
My parents raised me and my siblings in a pseudo-religion they were making up as they went along based on triple goddess tradition, Taoist philosophy, universalism, and agnosticism, with the only real tenants being 'do onto others' a la Taoist chi and sun celebrations on solstices and equinoxes. That's the neo-Wiccan.
As I grew, I grew into an atheist. I don't know if there's something up there, and it might well be a monotheistic patriarch of some flavor, but I see no hard evidence for it, and the problem of evil destroys any concept of 'maybe'. Quite frankly, if others want to live for an afterlife that may or may not exist, they may, but I'd rather work to make the world I'm certain exists is the best it can be.

I believe human beings are made out of stardust.
I believe happiness is the meaning of life.
I believe doubt brings truth, love brings love, and that being good is more important than being right.

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:30 am
View Likes
carbonCore says...

My alignment is True Agnostic. There are times when I've felt something I've believed to be impossible, but I still have plenty of logical reasons to refute it. I can't say whether there's a god out there, or what its nature is. But there's something there. Definitely maybe.

We're all stardust, you say. I agree, and I believe dust has no place considering the affairs of the stars. We amuse ourselves by it, but the truth, if out there, is unreachable by us.
_

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:58 pm
View Likes
tigeraye says...

I consider myself a nondenominational Christian...I think the world is too intricate but spontaneous for there not to be a higher power. There's too much nobody can explain.

My mother is a Protestant but she never forced her beliefs on me, and I try not to think about it too much. I figure if we try our best to overcome our evil nature through faith and perseverance, it'll all work out.
dot

Once you have people's attention, you have a greater responsibility to tell them something of value.
— Tobias Forge (Ghost B.C.)