z

Young Writers Society

What language are you learning as a second language?

What language are you learning as a second language?

Latin
5%
English
13%
Spanish
19%
French
21%
Italian
3%
Japanese
8%
Other
31%

Total votes : 112

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:07 pm
Mageheart says...

I've noticed while looking around the site that a lot of people seem to be taking Latin. I've grown curious as to what other languages people are learning as a second language (or possibly a third/fourth/so on). Please don't put your first language as the language you're learning. It would mess with the results.

If your language isn't on here, please comment in this forum and tell me what it is. I'll take most things; for example, if you tell me you're learning Klingon, I'll add it and regard you from now on with an immense amount of respect and love.

Please be serious, though. You can only say you're learning Klingon (or other fictional languages) if you're actually learning it.

Also, please post in this forum your reason for choosing to learn that language! :D

[b]EDIT: Because of how YWS's polls work, adding a new option resets the poll. Please click on "Other" if your language isn't one of the six and post the language you are studying in the forum.

Also, you be learning from a course, book, or on your own through various means.
Last edited by Mageheart on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:23 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I'm learning Japanese because I live in Japan and because the only other option was French. :P
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:38 pm
Mageheart says...

I'm learning Latin because it sounded interesting. Also, it's useful for creating spells; J.K. Rowling used it for Harry Potter spells, if I remember correctly.

I'll add Japanese, @Mea. :D
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:40 pm
Mageheart says...

Adding a new poll option resets the poll. O_O I'm sorry, everyone who voted so far. Please redo your vote.
mage

queer and here.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I'm currently learning French, and then I want to do Spanish and Gaelic, although it'll take me a while to get there because I'm obviously not going to be fluent in French in just a few weeks.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:00 pm
Mageheart says...

That's really cool, @BlueAfrica! :D Why do you want to learn those languages?
mage

queer and here.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:02 pm
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

I learnt French through high school and I'm planning on continuing it at uni next year. Originally I started learning it for the reverse of Mea - my school offered either French or Japanese, and I chose French. I continued to learn it because I love the language and it makes travelling in French speaking places so much easier!

I'd really like to learn German if I were to pick up a third language. Mostly because I loved Germany when I was there and would like to be able to go there and speak the language.
Last edited by TriSARAHtops on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:05 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@Mage I've always thought French was a beautiful language, but my high school class was a huge disappointment. Apparently everyone else took it because it was a well-known blow-off class, but somehow I missed the memo. Our teacher clearly didn't like teaching or teenagers, so why she was teaching high school... Anyway, it started off like the usual language class, the alphabet, numbers, colors, but then in October we learned Halloween words, and in November we learned Thanksgiving words (even though they don't celebrate American Thanksgiving in France), and in December we learned Christmas words, and in January I dropped the class and took German instead.

So now I'm trying to learn it on my own.

I've never really had any interest in learning Spanish at all, not sure why, maybe just because it's so widespread that it's kind of boring to me (the way English is boring because I've always spoken it), but my brother-in-law's family is from El Salvador and a lot of them don't speak much English, and I feel bad because whenever there's a family gathering I seem even more antisocial than I actually am because I can't really say anything to them. Both my sisters are pretty fluent, though, so they joke around and have a great time. I just feel like I ought to be able to talk to Henry's family a bit.

And then Gaelic because it's cool and also Sir and I want to go to Ireland some time. Although hopefully that'll be 2018, so I probably won't actually know any Gaelic by then. But also we have some songs by Runrig that have Gaelic lyrics and I'd love to be able to sing along. (I mean, I sort of do sing along, but it's all "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeee" because I don't know what they're really saying.)

Although their songs are probs in Scottish Gaelic and Ireland would use Irish Gaelic and I actually have no idea which Duolingo offers. And Duolingo is where I'd get my start, like what I'm doing with French. I should probably find out ahead of time, hmm?

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:49 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I'm taking Spanish for my bright future scholarship and because not many other languages are realistic in Florida. I've been learning off and on for four or five years. But I have taken other courses in the past and currently for fun.
In sixth grade I took mandarin and I was going to continue except my online school switched systems. So they no longer had a mandarin teacher and I had done my one language credit.
Starting in late 8th grade, I started doing German and Spanish on a site outside of school. I mostly took German for fun considering I probably don't need it to communicate with any relatives. My family left Germany before Word War I and any family members who didn't speak English, have long since died.
Whoops. Went a little off track there. But I did feel the need to leave a comment since I often under (and over) explain things.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:44 am
View Likes
Que says...

I'm studying French in school, which is going really great, and I'll be working on that through all of high school.

Also, I've been casually learning some Icelandic out of curiosity through some books my library has. :) I want to learn so many languages, though, so hopefully I'll be able to study more in the future!
Parlez-vous français?

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:03 am
View Likes
AnarchyWolf says...

I'm taking Spanish and Latin for GCSE, and I love both of them and I'll probably continue them further. I'm slowly learning Norwegian and Greek in my free time, focusing more on Norwegian than Greek.
Don't resist the water. Welcome it.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:42 pm
View Likes
SarcasticSpringRoll says...

Ich sprechen Deautschland!

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:17 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Back in high school I'm not old you are the three choices for us were Spanish, French, and Choctaw. I didn't really want to take Spanish or French, so I decided to learn Choctaw. Little did I know, Choctaw was considered a blow-off class for most of the school, so it was hard to concentrate in it. But, I did thoroughly enjoy Choctaw and might consider seriously sitting down and learning the language. It's one of those things where not many people know the language and it's cool and stuff.

Another one is ASL, which I learned quite a long time ago for my mom and would like to pick it back up again. I think it's really elegant and blends well with acting, making you more conscious of your hands and arms when you're acting.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:23 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It's not so much "currently learning" as much as "has learned", because I'm English Second Language :P My first language is French! I selected it in the poll because it's my weaker language, though
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:38 pm
View Likes
Kazeybear says...

I'm currently learning French and Irish Gaelic. French because of school, and Irish because it's A) a beautiful language, and B) My Grandma speaks fluent Gaelic (she's Irish) so I may as well.

In the future I will resume with Spanish, which was interrupted by my schoolwork, and will start Vietnamese, because Vietnam is where I would love to start my career in teaching English as a foreign language.
We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect - Anaïs Nin
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you - Ray Bradbury

Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus