z

Young Writers Society

What language are you learning as a second language?

What language are you learning as a second language?

Latin
5%
English
13%
Spanish
19%
French
21%
Italian
3%
Japanese
8%
Other
31%

Total votes : 112

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:47 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Like all Irish kids, I learnt Irish (non-Irish people know this as 'Gaelic') as a second language for fourteen years.

I also learnt French for seven years as a second language, but I kind of despised French classes. I like being able to speak a bit of French though!

And I took German and Latin for a while too (German for one year, Latin for three).
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:54 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

I'm learning Spanish currently in scgool, as well as self teaching myself Japanese. I think that Spanish is really helpful because it's spoken in so many countries.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:33 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I chose French as my language in high school. We had the option of Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Arabic, and they started offering Russian when I was a junior or senior. I chose French because everyone took Spanish, I thought French was pretty, and languages that don't use the Latin alphabet scared me :p

I've unfortunately lost a lot of my French, but it's something I wouldn't be opposed to brushing up on.

Right now, I'm teaching myself Portuguese. I started several years ago with some books, I was able to take one Portuguese class in college which helped a lot, and now I primarily use Duolingo (which is the BEST EVER). I've been to Brazil twice, so I have some friends there that also help me out. Why Portuguese? I developed an interest in Brazil ten or so years ago and I've been sponsoring a girl there through a Christian non-profit for the last seven or so years. I've met her and we write letters (that are translated for us), but when she graduates from the program and we don't have access to translators, I would like to be able to communicate with her.

Once I've mastered the Portuguese Duolingo course, I'm going to move on to Spanish because that's one of those useful languages. I also really, really want to learn ASL.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:41 am
View Likes
amelie says...

Latin
Last edited by amelie on Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:32 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

I, well, it's English. I cannot not chose it. It's compulsory in our educational system. xD But I've passed schools, so that was the language I learned as second language.

However, I did learn Arabic when I was in the primary religious school. It was pretty hard, so when I went to the secondary school, I was relieved not to learn it again. xD That being said, I do have the interest to do that, but I'm looking for the efficient way of learning that.

For right now, it's English, through and through. British English or American English, I've no idea because the teachers didn't make it clear, but in sixth grade my English teacher told us to read books using British English, so that was the version of English I learned, I think. The use of 'colour' made it more obvious.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:54 am
View Likes
Astronomer says...

Spanish is my first language, but I'm not really studying English. I'm currently studying French and ASL.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:46 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Weeeeell, English's my second, French is my first, Portuguese is my third (and should in fact be my default second, since it's my parents' native language, but I just liked English more), and Spanish is my fourth.

By now I basically speak English fluently, but yeah it was my second.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

Reviews: 0
Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:12 am
View Likes
Averroes says...

SmaugsIntern wrote:Ich sprechen Deautschland!

You can't really speak Germany. Morever, it'll be "Ich spreche."

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:53 pm
View Likes
Konijn says...

I'm currently learning Dutch in my free time because I plan on visiting the Netherlands one day. Plus it's just a really beautiful language.

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:13 pm
View Likes
megsug says...

I took Hebrew to fulfill my course requirement. I'm terrible at languages, so I'm not very good, but I loved it!
Test

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:58 pm
View Likes
Lavvie says...

I already speak English and French fluently, so my "second language" is actually my third: German.

Gosh, college-level language courses are rigourous.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

184 Reviews

Reviews: 184
Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:09 pm
View Likes
RoyalHighness says...

French, Italian, and ASL

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:43 pm
View Likes
backroadstraveler says...

I picked Latin because it's the root of all the Romantic languages. I figured that by learning it, if I ever decided to travel to Europe (or some other place) I would have an easier time picking up a limited form of the languages (French, Italian, Spanish...) if I started with the mother-language and got more specific instead of boxing myself into one particular branch and trying to jump to a new one
Eggs are scrambled, eyes are addled, and brains should never be eaten

-The Lady Peg

Reviews: 0
Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:44 pm
View Likes
Christophersbm says...

I will like to go for French,cause I already knew how to speak in English and am also studying English to know more about it. But I will also like to know how to speak in French cause English & French are the most recognized language in the whole world and also I am a Nigerian and the two official language in African continent is English & French. and it will also help me, if I can be writing literary work in both English & French

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:52 am
View Likes
Malamaya says...

I'm learning German and a bit of Russian. On the side is Italian when ever I flip my phrase and dictionary book for European languages. At school I learn English so that's counted. I currently know how to read the Russian letters though pronunciation is pretty tough. German is surprisingly easy to speak and read, same goes for Italian with a few mishaps.

I scour as much as I could on the internet that has no pay since I don't want to ask my parents to pay for it. So some sites will be confusing to learn from but I manage. I mostly focus on German and sometimes on Italian if I don't feel like going through German, it ensures I'm actually being productive. I also practice with my friend since we're learning together!

I sometimes procrastinate on things but you don't need to know that....
This is a rather clever sentence that got you to read it all.

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest