z

Young Writers Society

Spooky Ghost Tales

862 Reviews

Reviews: 862
Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:40 pm
View Likes
Morrigan says...

I would love for this thread to be filled with your real-life encounters with ghostly things. Did you get a premonition that something bad was going to happen before it happened? Did you see an old lady walk past your open bedroom door? Or maybe you can't stand going into the basement of your uncle's house.

Whatever it is, post it here!

Non-fiction only, please. Or as close to non-fiction as you can get ;)
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

This is a great thread!

1. A year or so ago I was at my grandmas, in her living room, chilling in chat no doubt. And the light went out. Just the one lamp beside me. So I got up, inspected it, and switched it back on. A few minutes later it switched out again. I was like "the hell is your problem?" and I think I turned it back on again. Then it switched out again and I was kinda a little freaked at this point. I mean it would be one thing if the light just flickered out, but this just went out like a normal light does when it's turned off. There was even the click of the switch sound.

So I left it out, because I was just done with that light. A few minutes later it switched back on again. It kept switching on and off all night until I finally switched it off. I think it was PROBABLY just the light having issues, and I told my grandma about it so she could look into getting it fixed or a new bulb or whatever. Though I don't think she looked into it, and I don't think the light has done that since.

2. I worked at a supposedly "officially" haunted farm where I live. It was a TB hospital back in the day, and all the buildings are still standing. It was like a self-sufficient community back when it was operational. I never had any specific events that freaked me out about the place, but everything just had a feeling about it. Everything there was so quiet, and it was a different kind of quiet. I've been to completely quiet places before- they weren't like this place. I really don't know how to describe it. It was like, you'd hear something, but it wouldn't quite fit. Like a lawn mower- I mean there were plenty of lawn mowers out there, but one time I heard it it just wasn't right. Another thing that creeped me out about it was that there was a playground. I mean, obviously they'd have one, but just how empty and old it was made it weird.

I think some places that just have so much history, sort of talk for themselves. Whether that's ghosts or not I don't know.
100% autistic

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:10 pm
View Likes
steampowered says...

I have two.

My first experience happened when I was about 10 or 11, when I was at my grandmother's house after my grandfather had passed away. I was sleeping in her bedroom on the floor while she slept in the bed. I remember it was the early hours of the morning and I woke up to see her door had opened and the room was filled with light. For some strange reason I thought it was my sister, but my sleep-addled brain told me, "No, this doesn't make sense, they're all sleeping over at my aunt's in the next village over." That made me really scared, so I hid inside my sleeping bag for what felt like ages as the light got brighter. Then I remember peering out from my sleeping bag and seeing a figure silhouetted against my grandmother's bedroom window, followed by a voice saying, "It's all right". At the time I thought it was my grandmother's voice, but thinking back on it, I'm not at all sure.

Anyway, I got back to sleep, but I was freaked out by the experience and I kind of wish I'd plucked up the courage to talk to my grandmother about it. Years later, whenever I was asked to sleep in that room, I would sleep with the door open and my back to the window, the duvet pulled right over my head. It was a relief when I stopped sleeping at my grandmother's house and was sent to my aunt's with the rest of the family.

Nowadays I'm not even totally sure that this happened. I eventually put it down to sleep paralysis / a nightmare, with the weird light being due to the sunrise, but I just looked up my grandmother's address. She has a hallway right outside her room which leads more or less into the kitchen, but the kitchen windows face west. If the sun had been rising, the bright light couldn't have come in through my grandmother's door even if the door had been open, so... the jury's out on this one.

The other one is one I don't even associate with anything paranormal but it was really creepy. I was in the car after dark with my mother as she drove me to a writing workshop, and it was foggy with very poor visibility. We were about halfway there, driving along this bumpy stretch of road, when I started seeing shapes in the fog. One of them took the form of a person with gaping eyes and I literally gasped in horror, thinking we were about to hit somebody. I put this one down to a trick of the mind but it was very weird. I just Googled to see if any fatal accidents had happened on that stretch of road but the only one I could find was one that happened earlier this year, which was at least two years after the weird thing with the fog.
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:48 pm
View Likes
Astronomer says...

This is going to be fun~

About four years ago, I lived at an apartment. The next door neighbor was a quiet, old man. Then one day he died of a stroke. A few new neighbors then moved into the apartment a few months later. They were obsessed with tigers, having tiger skin clothing, tiger carpets, tiger paintings etc. but that's not very relevant. Then the neighbors went to the landlord and asked who previously lived in the apartment. They reported things out of place, strange noises, and random things falling. Sure enough, the previous person who lived there died of a stroke >>

I don't really know what happened next, I moved out a year ago, and apparently they just had to deal with it. I heard that they recently moved out, and yes, I am aware that this story isn't scary at all. :P

862 Reviews

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:25 pm
View Likes
Morrigan says...

Since I started this thread, I had better put in my contribution.

I didn't really have anything strange happen to me growing up. I lived in a new house on an acre of my grandparent's land, and nothing bad had ever happened there. So my first encounter with spooky things was in college.

There's a theatre on campus, and I spend a lot of time in it because I'm heavily involved with the theatre program. This includes staying late into the night, sometimes alone to work on projects for upcoming shows, or just to work on lines. There's a ghost in the theatre that we all have affectionately nicknamed Steve. Steve likes two places, mainly: the costume shop and the women's dressing room.

The costume shop is on the third floor, and has a door that lets out onto the rear of the balcony. The door is easily visible from the stage, and it's where Steve is sighted the most. I've seen him about three times. You'll see someone pass in front of the door when it's open, like someone's working in the costume shop. But when you yell up there to see if it's the technical director or a member of the sewing crew, no one will have been up there.

The women's dressing room has the same type of thing. I saw Steve once there. The dressing rooms are set up strangely; there is a main dressing room, and then a bathroom in the back if you take a right. Mirrors line the left wall, so you can kind of see people entering and leaving the bathroom. One time, I went into the dressing room and saw someone going into the bathroom, but when I went to check if there was anyone in there, the room was empty. It was pretty spooky.

The most spectacular "Steve sighting" was during rehearsal for The Rocky Horror Show last year. Most of the cast was there, sitting on the stage, and it was broad daylight. I don't remember what the argument was about, but tensions were high. Right when yelling was about to start, the costume door slammed shut very loudly. You might want to attribute this one to wind, but the windows on the second and third floor don't open, and all of the doors in the theatre were closed. The argument died. Steve is a benevolent ghost most of the time.

Sometimes, though, late at night, a sense of fear creeps up over you. It's not just me. It's happened to other people. Steve likes to pick on you if you're alone.

Another thing that happened to me was at my house. I was alone for three weeks in the house during the summer because all of my roommates were on vacation or at work (Kell was gone for military medic training). I have a big house. 5 bedrooms. I did not want to be on the second floor all by myself because it gets creepy up there. So I slept on the couch.

During the second week of being alone, something strange happened. It was about 2 or 3 in the morning, and I was sleeping. I heard the most spine-tingling noise, almost like a hyena, but not as rough, if that makes sense. The way it echoed, I thought it was coming from inside the house at first, but then I realized it was coming from the porch, about eight feet from where I was laying on the couch in the living room. I have never heard a wild animal that sounded like that, and I had no idea what to do. So I just kinda yelled.

"AHHHHHH" (can you just imagine me all wrapped up and terrified and yelling like a manly man to scare it off)

The sound did not slow in frequency or stop at all, but faded off into the distance. I get chills just thinking about it. Not sure what it was because I've never heard that sound before or since.

If anyone can find the noise in a youtube video or somewhere, I'll give you many points.
Gringoamericano

97 Reviews

Reviews: 97
Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:38 pm
View Likes
acm says...

There is this wall in my house that seems to be a ghost. That sounds weird, but I have tripped down the stairs countless times because I think I'm about to walk into a wall that isn't there. Maybe it's a trick of the lighting or something like that, but it still freaks me out.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:32 pm
View Likes
Gardevite says...

Oh this is a cool thread idea!

So in Ireland there was a pretty big famine and a lot of people died. My old house was built on an top of an old "road to nowhere' that were often built during the time. The two rooms at the left of the house had some freaky stuff going on. I'm both rooms you couldn't push your bed against the left wall, you had to have the bed about half a meter away from the wall, or else you would be woken up in the middle of the night with an intense pressure on your chest, like someone was sitting in you. Only happened in those two rooms, it was weird but manageable. We had the house blessed and it apparently helped but no one wanted to try it out.
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:56 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I like this thread already. :D

When I was just a kid, my family had a cat. He was a miracle cat. My parents had been given him when he was too young to be taken away from his mother, yet he somehow survived. He had a heart murmur, yet he somehow survived. In fact, he lived to the ripe old age of sixteen. If you've never had a cat, that's considered old.

He was incredibly sweet too. One time, when I was sick, he had come into my room and jumped onto my bed. He had never done that before. It was as if he had known I wasn't feeling good.

It was several months after he died. I was dreaming of a fight between anime characters. While those characters possessed incredibly strong powers, I was just me. I hadn't even started writing then, so there was nothing truly special about me.

In my dream, the cat I had loved so much led me back to my dream-home and protected me from getting injured. I would say I saw him because I had been talking about him before going to bed - but he was transparent in my dream.

That was the last time I dreamt of him.

I'm not sure if that was really him. But I like to think that maybe I did see his ghost, and that maybe, just maybe, our miracle cat did an act of kindness one last time.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:51 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

I am not good at telling ghost stories but when a bunch of coyotes are howling right across the field from your house, in the middle of the night, and it sounds like screaming children...then yeah, it's freaky.

It doesn't help that someone died in our house. the coyotes probably got him
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:52 pm
View Likes
Kazumi says...

I have one particular experience in the province.

My cousin and I were in a car, on the way back to the city after a nice family reunion at our grandparents' house in the barrio, when he told me we were passing by a "haunted road." He said long ago, a girl who was fond of throwing rocks at the animals died of blunt trauma when a hard stalk of bamboo fell on her head as she was doing her thing.

As if on cue, we heard something like a rock thrown at the metallic body of the car we were in.

who the hell needs sleep anyway
top kek

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:42 pm
View Likes
RadiantShadow says...

I had to go to the religious meeting when I was a kid and they used to be held under the church (the rooms where newly built and furnished so they weren't ever said to be haunted) For some reason every time I entered I would become really cold my lips would sometimes turn blue (a good thing because they called my mother early...woo) Everyone else would be perfectly fine but here I was shivering like a maniac while trying to pray with the rest of them. Some times we used to play for 30 minutes before we entered one of the rooms and every time I pass this locked door I would hear these unintelligible whispers but I always ignored them (don't be a weirdo rach just ignore it) After almost 6 years, I was there for my last ever religious meeting when I passed the now opened unlocked door and I saw the cloaked figures looking at me and whispering. I got spooked because no one else seemed to mind them. The priest came then and closed the door and shook my shoulder and said,'not many can see... go run along and play.' He then patted my head and I never saw him not the cloaked figures again because I never went back there.

A Few years later, I had a dream that I was running in an old cathedral but no one could see me or the group of dark cloaked figures doing a ritual in the middle of the cathedral. Woke up drenched in sweat and felt a cold breath on my face. I kept staring directly above me, terrified while fumbling to switch on the lights. I did and sure enough there was a dark cloaked figure staring right at me. Blinked a couple times he was not there. (ppppft whatever the heck that means...) lets just say after that experience I never got in the cathedral again...ever... and I also made it a point that I pray every night before I fall asleep. Safe to say that the nightmares that I used to have constantly have dwindled and the occasional nightmare has nothing to do with religious beliefs.

Probably my unconscious mind took everything I processed as a kid and took it out this way? ...I hope so.
Last edited by RadiantShadow on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shadows strengthen your path, the Light guides your soul, together they make you eternal.

862 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:20 pm
Morrigan says...

@RadiantShadow Druidry is a religion, not spooky dudes. I'm a druid. I would know.
Gringoamericano

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:30 pm
View Likes
RadiantShadow says...

@Morrigan no no i im sorry didnt mean it like that I said that (even wrote it) in the Maltese term ( a very old word) it has a meaning of protector or guardian. I have edit it out as I didnt mean to offend.
The Shadows strengthen your path, the Light guides your soul, together they make you eternal.

862 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:54 pm
Morrigan says...

@RadiantShadow No, no! I'm not offended. Don't worry about it! :) I was just letting you know.
Gringoamericano

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:49 pm
JohnEldred says...

I have one experience that I can find no explanation for. It was at my uncles funeral when I went to the back room of the church to get the flowers to put on the casket during the ceremony. While I was there I bent over to reach for the frilly round flower things and I felt a tap on my shoulder, I looked up no one was there so I turned around to go back out and there he was standing the the thereshold my uncle. One blink and he wasn't there anymore.

I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman