z

Young Writers Society

So you think you know what it means

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:51 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Hello YWSers, I'm back again. This is the second part of my linguistic study, if you want to do the first part - Can you pronounce this?, please do. The more the merrier.

The second part of the survey focuses on how semantics change over time. The questions are as follows.

Spoiler! :

Meaning of disinterested and uninterested
Meaning of political correctness
When is next Saturday for you? (state the date)
Explain the difference between who and whom.
What does it mean if you say the house was an enormity?
What does verity mean?
Do you say aeroplane or airplane?
What is the meaning of aerodrome?
What’s the difference between ( all together ) and altogether?
What does enervation mean?
Can you explain what sleight of hand and eye of the storm is?

Please answer the questions, and remember there is no right and wrong here, I just want your personal opinion. When you're answering, please state your age, ethnicity, and whether English is your first language.

Thanks everyone! c:

p.s: and thanks to @fortis reminding me, no looking up their definitions!
Last edited by Apricity on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:39 am
View Likes
Rook says...

I'm going to assume that you don't want us to research this, so I'm going to admit that I don't know a couple of these things or was less than sure in my answer >.>
Spoiler! :

Meaning of disinterested and uninterested- They both mean that you're not interested in something.

Meaning of political correctness- saying things or specific terms so that you don't offend people by saying something they take offense to.

When is next Saturday for you? (state the date) Today, July 2nd, 2016

Explain the difference between who and whom. You only use whom after the word "to" or in reference to a question that can be answered with "him." Something about the subject and object of sentences that I slept through in middle school.

What does it mean if you say the house was an enormity? - It was really big?

What does verity mean? Sounds like something related to the truth.

Do you say aeroplane or airplane? - airplane

What is the meaning of aerodrome? - no clue

What’s the difference between ( all together ) and altogether? altogether means something like "entirely" and "all together" means "everyone at once"

What does enervation mean? - annoyance I think?

Can you explain what sleight of hand and eye of the storm is? Slight of hand is being tricky with your hands and doing magic tricks and the eye of the storm is that spot in the center of a hurricane where it's calm.

Ethnicity: Caucasian
English is my first language
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:28 am
View Likes
Mea says...

So, I know some of these things, but others I don't.

Spoiler! :
Meaning of disinterested and uninterested - To me, 'disinterested' implies that you were once interested in it, but now you're not, like a dog becoming disinterested in a toy after playing with it for a couple minutes. 'Uninterested' implies that you were never interested in the first place.

Meaning of political correctness - This is a loaded one, but I feel like, simply, it started out as a way to try to be inclusive and unoffensive, but has since devolved into an often-unnecessary or overly sensitive policing of speech, and that's what the term commonly refers to now.

When is next Saturday for you? - Well, it's Saturday today for me, so July 9th.

Explain the difference between who and whom - I'm honestly not sure. I think it has to do with prepositional phrases, i.e., "to whom are you giving that?" vs. "who are you giving that to?"

What does it mean if you say the house was an enormity? - I've never heard that phrase before, but I'm assuming it means the house was big.

What does verity mean? - I think it's a synonym for truth or truthfulness.

Do you say aeroplane or airplane? - Airplane.

What is the meaning of aerodrome? - I have no idea, though I assume it relates to flying.

"All together" is used very literally, as in "all of the things are in the same place" while "altogether" is a lot more metaphorical and basically means "in the context of everything." Bad explanation, but whatever.

What does enervation mean? - Not sure. It's one of those words where if you used it in a sentence, I would know it, but I can't think of the definition right now.

Can you explain what sleight of hand and eye of the storm is? - Yes. "Sleight of hand" refers to doing something cleverly or skillfully in a way that hides what you're doing - magicians use sleight of hand a lot. "Eye of the storm" refers to the center of a hurricane, which is usually very calm compared to the rest of the storm, and is used metaphorically to mean any sort of reprieve or haven.

Ethnicity: Caucasian
English is my first language.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:27 am
View Likes
Dutiful says...

I'm really enjoying doing this! So here goes:

Spoiler! :
Meaning of disinterested and uninterested : I thought they meant the same thing?

Meaning of political correctness : It's when you act or say something so as to not offend a certain group of people or just people in general.

When is next Saturday for you? (state the date) : 9th of July

Explain the difference between who and whom : Ah this is tricky. Mostly because I paid zero attention during grammar class. I always thought 'who' and 'whom' were similar to how you use 'he/she' and 'him/her' in a sentence.

What does it mean if you say the house was an enormity? : The house was bad? Like when you say "the enormity of the crime", i.e., the graveness of the crime. I don't know how to put that in sentence above so 'bad' it is xD

What does verity mean? :No idea what it means but it sounds like something of principle, like being honorable.

Do you say aeroplane or airplane? : aeroplane

What is the meaning of aerodrome? : Ooh I know this one. It's like a small airport.

What’s the difference between ( all together ) and altogether? : 'All together' is literally having all together as in having everything/everyone together in a place. 'Altogether' is like 'totally' or 'completely' like when you're summing up.

What does enervation mean? : I'm pretty sure I'm wrong but it sounds like when you energize something.

Can you explain what sleight of hand and eye of the storm is? : 'Sleight of hand' is when you skillfully trick someone like magicians do, and to be in the 'eye of the storm' is to be in the centre of an argument (I think?)

Ethnicity: Asian/Indian
English is not my first language
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:41 pm
View Likes
steampowered says...

Spoiler! :
Meaning of disinterested and uninterested - Disinterested means you are impartial. Uninterested means you just aren't interested.

Meaning of political correctness - A way of censoring language to avoid offending certain groups of people, but I think you can extend that to basically trying not to offend minority groups.

When is next Saturday for you? (state the date) - 9th July

Explain the difference between who and whom. - I think "who" is a subject and "whom" is an object. "Who wants the last slice of cake?" - "To whom was the last slice given?"

What does it mean if you say the house was an enormity? - Oh wow, I have no idea. I think it might mean it cost a lot of money?

What does verity mean? - Truth?

Do you say aeroplane or airplane? - Aeroplane. I think airplane is the American English form.

What is the meaning of aerodrome? - I should really know this one, shouldn't I? Er... is it an airport hangar?

What’s the difference between ( all together ) and altogether? - All together means everyone working together. Altogether seems to me to be a way of concluding something "altogether, this was a regrettable experience" though I could be wrong.

What does enervation mean? - Exhaustion, I think.

Can you explain what sleight of hand and eye of the storm is? - "Sleight of hand" is the way a magician can create illusions using their ability to manipulate objects. "Eye of the storm" refers, I think, just to the calm part in the centre of a hurricane etc.?

Ethnicity: Caucasian English (living in Britain)
Is English my first language?: Yes.
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:17 pm
View Likes
MooCowPoop says...

Spoiler! :

I really do not see the difference other than uninterested is used more commonly and colloquially.

It's when a person willfully censors or readjusts their language and behaviors so as to be more inclusive for (especially marginalized) people or groups. Also includes an unlearning of hegemonic behaviors.
Next Saturday is July 9th, 2016.
To my understanding, who is used when addressing a non-specific group or identity, whereas whom is used to specify a person, more specifcally, oneself.
It could mean that the house was rowdy or extremely fancy. I've heard this before,but not really around other Americans.
What does verity mean?
Verity to my understanding, means how truthful or trustworthy someone or something is or to what extent it can be trusted.
Airplane. But when I say it, it sounds like "AIR-uh-plane".
No idea, but it sounds it like it has something to do with air because of the prefix "aero", and speaking, because of its suffix, "--drome". I usually hear the suffix "--drome, when hearing about word lay or speaking, such as the word "palindrome".
All together is when one is addressing a crowd of people, and used when demanding said crowd. "Altogether" is usually used to address a thing, typically inanimate pbjects.

Going out on a whim here, but i think it could mean that one's nerves are stimulated? It reminds me of the word, unnerving, but this typically means that something is annoying.

Sleight of the hand means that someone has given a suggestive cue to someone else, whether sexually or angrily. Or it means that someone has cheated someone else out of money without the other person knowing initially. I typically see this phrase used for women or gangster tales. Eye of the storm just means that the most dangerous part of what is usually a windstorm is in the center of it all. It is the most severe part of any situation.

Ethnicity: Black, African American
English is my first language

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:55 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Spoiler! :
Meaning of disinterested and uninterested:
I know there's a difference, but I'm not sure what it is without looking it up. So I think disinterested is more "not interested", and uninterested is... "made uninteresting", maybe?

Meaning of political correctness:
Political correctness, in the modern day, should mean to judge your words in a manner that they don't offend anyone in racist, sexist, ableist, classist, or otherwise oppressive means.

Well, this Saturday is today (2 July), so next Saturday is 9 July. But if I had answered this yesterday (1 July), my answer would have still been 9 July, because 2 July is this Saturday.

Tomorrow (3 July), if I were to answer this, my answer would be 16 July is "next Saturday", because 9 July would be "this" Saturday.

Okay, so "who" and "whom" are basically the same word, they're just different parts of a sentence. Literally, "who" refers to the subject of a sentence ("Who brought apples?" "He brought apples.") whereas "whom" refers to the object ("To whom did he give apples?" "He gave apples to the teacher.").

I wouldn't know, because I don't use the word enormity on a regular basis so I don't know what it means per se, haha. I know that it's related to "enormous" but doesn't mean enormous, though.

What does verity mean?
Truth, I think?

Airplane.

Not sure.

"All together" refers to a bunch of things that are, you know, all together. On the other hand, "altogether" would refer to the overall state of the bunch of things, or of one person if you take into account what's going on in their life. So like, "They were all together in one place. They were altogether well."

Something to do with energy?

Sleight of hand is distracting the eye of the audience with something while you do something else, quickly and without notice, seemingly producing a splendid trick (or stealing their wallets, haha).

The eye of the storm is taken from the "eye" at the center of cyclones such as hurricanes, where the rest of the storm is rotating in circular clouds but there is a small spot at the very center which is calm. It's often said that the worst part of the storm comes after the eye. Basically, the "eye of the storm" in a social context means that something rough has been happening, but now it's taking a break, but it's going to be rough again pretty soon.

Ethnicity: White American
English is my first language.
stay off the faerie paths

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:28 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...

Hey everyone ^^

Spoiler! :
Disinterested - was interested at first, but then lost interest for any reason
Uninterested - wasn't interested to begin with

Expression of oneself while avoiding certain topics or words in order to not offend anyone, antagonise anyone, or seem generally insensitive in front of people

The 9th of July, 2016

"Who" is a pronoun in the nominative case, referring to the subject of the sentence, while "whom" is the dative/accusative case of the pronoun, and refers to either direct or indirect objects. "Whom" is often preceded by a preposition.

No idea. Er... something about a house being really big? Yeah, I'm gonna go with that.

What does verity mean?
I'm gonna go with "truth". Or maybe "truthfulness". "Verita" means "truth" in Latin, right?

I say "airplane".

I'm gonna say "airport"

"All together" means all members of a class or group are or do something at the same time or in close proximity of each other;
"Altogether" means "totally", "completely", "utterly", usually in a context that implies that the action completed is a sort of an overkill and was not necessarily necessary. For example: "Have you stopped eating cheese? You know it gives you gas." "Yep! I stopped eating dairy products altogether. Not a huge blow to my diet, if I dairy say."

I honestly don't know. Covering something with nerves? lol.

No idea. Something about being quick and tricky with hands, like dexterous? And the other centre of attention? I seriously don't know.

I hope this is helpful! Have a great day.

Ethnicity: Macedonian
English is not my first language.
Deep thoughts remind me of unfinished

First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew