z

Young Writers Society

6 Tips on How to Survive Finals

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Mon May 16, 2016 2:45 pm
View Likes
rainforest says...

Now, I'm sure that we've all been through finals, right? Well, for those of you just starting out finals, you're probably running around like a chicken with it's head cut off! Well, I'm here to help you get through finals with some helpful tips.

1. Study! Study! Did I forget study? Studying is probably the biggest part of finals. It's the most important thing you can do to get the best grades possible. IF you want to survive, then study every subject possible. Make yourself dedicated to it, and when you get every opportunity, just go ahead and study.

2. Be well rested Being well rested is VERY vital to finals! You don't want to be exhausted and on the verge of sleep in the middle of your math test. That would be terrible! TO be well rested, avoid naps in the middle of the day and go to bed at an earlier time, preferably at 8:30 - 9:00 PM

3. Don't be late to your classes One of the worst things you can do during finals is being late, or not even showing up to one of your classes. Check your schedule and see if anything interferes with your tests.

4. Eat well Probably the most unlikeliest thing you'd find on this list, but according to Time, a sugar rush will not see you through. Get some carbohydrates and protein in your system!

5. Try to stay off your phone As tempting as it is, you want to check social media, you want to check your email, you want to play that new game you just got, but your phone isn't at stake.

6. FInally, try to exercise or do yoga I forgot to mention that according to Thought Catalog, that after about 2 hours of hard studying, your brain will start to be tired and you will want to stop. You've worked for 2 hours, so take a 5 - 10 minute break, or do some exercise and yoga. It will reduce stress.

I hope these tips helped you, and I hope that you get through another dreaded week of finals! Thank you for reading!
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon May 16, 2016 7:39 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Addendum 1: Don't cram the night before.

I know it's really tempting to put things off and cram the day or so before the exam, but it's really not helpful to you in the long run. You're more likely to forget the things you remind yourself of in a harsh cramming session, so take it slow, portion your studying out through the week or so before the final, and study in a way that helps you!

Addendum 2: If you're in a place where you can bring a snack for your test/between tests, it's probably a good idea to do so! I found in high school that stashing a granola bar in my bag helped me get through morning finals, since we let out early and didn't get lunch on exam days.

Addendum 3: Socialize. Make time in your schedule of frantic studying to spend an hour or so with friends, on Facebook, on Skype, on YWS, in person, however. Socialization is an incredibly important aspect of intellectual and emotional development, especially in preteens and teenagers, so take care of yourselves -- pick up that phone, and text someone, plan a hangout with friends during your study week or finals week.

Pretty please don't hurt yourselves this finals season <3 And best of luck to you all!
stay off the faerie paths

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon May 16, 2016 9:52 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

What's helped me in the past (in addition to the wonderful things that have already been said):

Get crazy organized. Figure out what you need to study for each subject or what assignments you need to do and how long you have until it's due or until the test. Break the work into 30min chunks (or less if you're easily distracted). Seriously. It's better to have a really productive 15min work/study session than a really distracted and unproductive 45min session. Assign the times that you're going to work on each thing. Like:
3:00 - 3:20: Study personality disorders
3:20 - 3:30: Break
3:30 - 3:50: Study anxiety disorders
3:50 - 4:00: Break
4:00 - 4:30: Work on final paper
And then stick to it.

Work breaks into your study schedule. Like Elysium and Lareine said - food, exercise, sleep, and your social life are still extremely important even during finals. Do not neglect these things. It will make you more stressed and less productive.

Think positive. I know we all want to do well, but I promise one bad grade on a test will not derail your entire life. So try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It's all going to be okay. Tell yourself that you can do this and walk into that test with confidence.

Study well. Studies have shown that you test the best in the conditions that you studied in. Chances are you're not going to be able to study in the classroom you're going to take the test and that's fine. But think about what the conditions are going to be like. You're probably going to be sitting upright at a desk in a moderately warm room. So don't cuddle up in all of your blankets and sit in a fort on your bed with every single snack in your house around you. As fun as that sounds, you'll actually probably do better if you study at a desk or at least a table. If you eat while you study, you'll actually do better if you eat while you take the test. So try to keep the conditions as similar as you can (including the types of clothes you wear).

You guys can do it! I'm cheering for everyone that's taking finals and exams! <3 <3

PS - It took me until mid-way through college to figure out the study method that works best for me and how to effectively study. If you would like additional study tips or help figuring out how to study specific to your situation, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to help! :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris