z

Young Writers Society

Are there any books/short stories regarding thievery around?

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:02 pm
Zackymas says...

Hello hello~
The question might sound weird but, those who have read my works here (Just two :x) may have noticed I have this fetish for thievery, I love to write about it, doesn't matter if it's a modern non-fiction story about a pickpocketer (Is that even a word?) or a medieval fantasy tale of a silent 'shadow' with the abilities to steal the king himself. So... are there any books/works on this??? DO NOT bring up mission-impossible-spy-like styled things, please. I beg you.
Last edited by Zackymas on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:25 pm
steampowered says...

I'm assuming you mean published fiction, rather than stories here on YWS?

If so, I'd hugely recommend Rachel Aaron's series The Legend of Eli Monpress. I remember falling in love with this series (it's something I feel would have been better left as a trilogy, but the additional two books aren't bad) It's an other-world fantasy series about a cocky thief with the ability to talk to the spirits which inhabit nature (and inhabit literally everything, so you even get door spirits) and his ambition to increase his bounty. It's a shame it never got a bigger following, because my obsession with these books were definite fangirl-level. ;)
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

32 Reviews

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:27 pm
Zackymas says...

Thanks :D and I meant both published and here in YWS, or any other writing community.

PS: I just noticed the grammatical repetition in the title :x

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:46 pm
Satira says...

There's a pretty amazing book called "A Darker Shade of Magic", by V.E. Schwab that might sort of fit your bill. There are two main characters and one of them is this super cool thief girl. The other mc isn't a thief but he's pretty crafty as well; he has the mindset of a thief.
"if only, if only,"
the woodpecker sighed,
"the bark on the trees
were as soft as the skies."

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:42 pm
ScarlettFire says...

@Zackymas I hear you like thievery?

I have a novel that stars a thief! It's slow starting at the moment, but I promise it'll get into the thievery and adventure soon. So if you feel like taking a look, take a gander at Thorns of Destiny! This novel is my baby. Handle gently! :D
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

32 Reviews

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:40 pm
View Likes
Zackymas says...

Thanks I'll definitely take a look at it :D

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:14 am
Rook says...

Peter Nimble and his fantastic eyes is a published book that is 100% about thievery with several characters named after thieving tactics. It is a fantastic book too. It's a fantasy book and I love the style it's written in. But I mean the plot revolves so much around thieves. It's amazing.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:21 am
Attolia says...

Wait!! Have you read/heard of "The Thief" by Megan Whalen Turner (the goddess, all bow down)?? It almost sounds like you were referencing it, that's how closely it matches your description.

http://www.amazon.com/Thief-Queens-Book/dp/0060824972

It's the first book in a series, and the succeeding works (the Queen of Attolia, the King of Attolia) get even better.

They are probably my favorite books. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher