z

Young Writers Society

Looking for Squills Writers

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:25 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Love Squills? Want to get more involved in the YWS community? You've stumbled upon the right thread. Squills has some spots open for columnists and general reporters.

What is Squills?
Squills is YWS's official newsletter that runs weekly. It focuses on YWS events, trends, works, and users. We also include articles about writing, from grammar to the writing process to published work and authors, and events happening in the (gasp) real world. If you want to browse through past newsletters, you can find them here or you can search for more specific columns or articles in the index .

What Would You Do?
Write articles of course! Active reporters are expected to write at least two articles a month.

If you're a general reporter, you write about whatever's happening in the world of YWS. This includes interviews of featured members, mods, authors of spotlighted works, and coverage of Review Days and other events.

If you're a columnist, you write articles about whatever your column is about, but we strongly encourage columnists to write community articles as well. There are articles like New Arrivals that have to be written every week, and the load is lighter if everyone does their bit.

Are You the Kind of Person Squills is Looking For?
Well...
- Are you excited about YWS?
- Are you interested in participating in the official YWS newsletter?
- Can you and are you willing to write at least one article every other week?

If you answered yes to those questions, then you're exactly who Squills is looking for. The fancy coding and proper format we can teach you. You have to bring your own dedication.

What Do You Get Out of Squills?
Other than a sense of accomplishment?
Squills serves a community that is just shy of 40,000 members. That's a decent touch to a resume, and I would write letters of recommendation of regularly contributing reporter who have been on staff for more than three months.

Being a reporter for Squills means you can pitch ideas for publicity, community involvement, events, articles, or anything else. A reporter is also where all editors and editors in chief started out.

How Do I Apply?
Easy! PM Squillsbot and tell them what you're interested in applying for.

If you would like to be a columnist, you can claim a column that is no longer running or pitch your own. Either way, summarize the column you plan to be writing in the future in your PM.

You will be asked to write an article. If you're applying as a columnist, your sample article should apply to the column. If you're applying as a general reporter, your article can be any type you've seen in Squills before. You can interview members, cover an event or trend, or spotlight a thread or work.

Your article will be submitted to the current Squills staff for a voting period.

What If I Receive a Rejection?
A rejection is not the end. You can apply as many times as you want! If your initial article is turned down, we will supply you with feedback, so you can it up and resubmit. If that's rejected, we encourage you to submit another sample! Similarly, if you're told your column pitch is to similar to an existing column, you can still apply as a general reporter or submit new ideas.

So... Why are You Still Here?
Good question! I don't know. Go PM Squillsbot now!

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:54 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Available Columnist Positions

Literary Reporter
Spoiler! :
Writes articles about works posted by users in all three categories (books, poetry, and shorts). Could possibly be split into three different columnist positions covering the three different sections. The Green Room could also be covered in this position.
Examples:
Noteworthy Novels by AstralHunter
Green Room Gallery by BlueAfrica
The Unsung Gems of the Poetry Forums by LadySpark

Community Reporter
Spoiler! :
Covers site wide events like Review Days, YWStival, and holiday events. Also interviews featured members, writers in the Literary spotlight, top reviewers, or moderators. Articles can also consist of members' interests, etc. Multiple Community Reporters can be accepted.
Examples:
January 2014 Review Day in Review by BlueAfrica
Spotlight Interview by SquillsBot
Lives Outside of YWS by Gravity

Storybook Reporter
Spoiler! :
Covers storybooks whether they're about to start or in progress and anything else happening in the Storybooks forum. Only one reporter necessary
Example:
Storybook Update by AfterTheStorm

Pruno
Spoiler! :
Half of our advice column team. The biggest challenge of Pruno is to get users to submit questions for advice. Ask yourself how you would accomplish this. Only one reporter is necessary.
Example:
Ask Pruno by Blackwood

Code Master
Spoiler! :
Creates codes and riddles for users to solve. Only one reporter necessary.
Example:
The Code Breaker Challenge by Avalon

Other
Spoiler! :
Look through the Index to see what columns are no longer being updated and if you would like to pick them up.
Pitch your own column idea by PMing Squillsbot .
Last edited by SquillsBot on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:01 am
SquillsBot says...

General Reporter

Writes any necessary articles like New Arrivals. Can write articles on virtually any topic.
Example:
Novelling Music by NightWolf

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:31 am
View Likes
secretrose29 says...

Hi, are you still recruiting Squills writers? I know this post is from three years ago, but I wanted to take a chance by asking. Thank you!

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:38 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Hey there @secretrose29! Send @Aley a PM as she is the current Editor in Chief of Squills :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:10 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Yes! We are always looking for new writers. You can PM Squillsbot with an example article, or if you are stuck on what to write or where to start we can talk about it all you would like. @secretrose29

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:11 am
View Likes
secretrose29 says...

Thank you for your prompt replies! I’ll probably send a sample article for applying for the Literary Reporter position soon!

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:37 pm
View Likes
LadyBug says...

Is the Code Master position open? I love making ciphers and deciphering. Let me know, please. :D
"the wedding was charming if a little gauche; there's only so far new money goes.... it must have been her fault his heart gave out"

806 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:01 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

Yup! We would love to have more puzzlemakers on board @JadeLotus !

232 Reviews

Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:04 pm
View Likes
LadyBug says...

@Aley I sent the Bot a PM saying I'm interested. We'll see what happens. :shock:
"the wedding was charming if a little gauche; there's only so far new money goes.... it must have been her fault his heart gave out"

806 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:38 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

I will get on this afternoon and submit your application for assessment.

232 Reviews

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:44 pm
LadyBug says...

Thank you, @Aley !

624 Reviews

Reviews: 624
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 am
Casanova says...

Can I rejoin?
Chat's bangin' yo

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:18 pm
keystrings says...

@Casanova Of course! If you want to resubmit an article you can, or simply just figure out what type of articles you want to write now.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:55 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Hey, is anyone doing a Link Roundup anymore? If not I was thinking maybe I could hop on as a Guest Columnist (I don't think I can dedicate the time to coming back as a full member and I'd rather be able to bow out whenever I need to) and do specifically a Resources Roundup, maybe once a month or so? I'm also planning to start a #ResourcesRoundup hashtag and post about once a week with either information about Resources or seeing if members have any questions/need to be directed toward some good articles/whatever, so I thought doing a column on Res once a month or so might go along with that nicely.

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green