Young Writers Society

Ask The Mods

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:36 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

About who cleans up Mod HQ...

I'm still cleaning up after all of @Rydia's cats. She has a lot so it's a full time job. So.many.litterboxes. :shock:
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:42 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Psssht, @Carlito, it was a lot harder for me, especially because I am allergic to cats (and 15 of them? It was crazy. :P)

But, of course, with the new moderators around, the cleaning duties have fallen on them, and I finally get the ability to relax and not have to scrub clean every ship in the SB Armada (at least, it felt like it, but I guess that's what you get for being poorly out of shape and trying to clean one small dinghy (which has grown in size recently, but I will not disclose how. Let's just say you don't want to know.) :P)
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:57 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Lylas wrote:I've always wondered how much "power" you guys actually have, fill me in? :-) KEEP BEING GREAT <3

The other mods did a good job describing the powers of JM's, GM's, and Admins. Less well known is that DM's and DJM's have the same powers as GM's and JM's respectively. So, if you need something and there is a GM and a DM online, then go to the GM. If there is no GM, a DM can help.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:07 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

@Griffinkeeper

Not quite true. Only DMs who are still part of the GM group can do stuff that GMs can, which is not all DMs. There is absolutely no way for members to tell which is which, and DMs are usually DMs because they don't have time to do much on YWS. They can, however, pass things on to those who can do the task.

DJMs, meanwhile, have absolutely none of their JM powers, and the most they can do to help is pass it on to somebody who can.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:23 am
View Likes
Mea says...

Is there a specific time when you start looking for new mods, or is it just whenever someone catches your eye?

Also, who put the funky orangutans in chat? And what happened to the poor chickens?
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:28 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

@Meandbooks, there are some pretty hungry wolves in the SB crew. Just throwin' that out there >.>
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:36 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

@Meandbooks -- We always bring in new JMs in batches, so when someone catches our eye, we note that down and keep observing them, and then (if they're still doing amazing) suggest them/vote for them when nominations occur. Usually, a few new JMs is brought in every few months, though in the past it has happened that we had fewer big batches instead of a bunch of small ones.

As for the orangutans, they were obviously @Nate's fault! That, or Rosey and co. were playing with the potions and switched a few labels, and the chickens evolved. Or maybe the ghost of FRED ate them -- the world may never know.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:36 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

@Meandbooks: In response to your first question, we usually hold JM nominations about every 3 months or so. For instance, I became a moderator about October, and the newest mods joined the group around January. So the next nomination procedure will be...April, I assume? I also know that, every now and then, we do nominate a couple of JMs to become GMs, but I forget how frequently that happens and if it follows a strict schedule or not. Then again, I only became a mod in October, and only two people have become GMs since then, so what do I know?

As for the second question, I'm fairly sure @Nate was having a bad day and decided to liven up the chat by swapping out the chickens for his orangutan relatives. And then they never really left, and he didn't have the heart to kick them out. Or the chickens mutated because of some kind of radioactive testing going on nearby (thanks to the impact of Nate's rickrolling everybody.) Either way. :P
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

1272 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:40 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I had nothing to do with the orangutans.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

25 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 25
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:47 am
View Likes
Gringoamericano says...

What would be the most entertaining way to abuse your powers?
"Can't break an omelette without making a few eggs"

From the ashes of the old YWS Chat; it's the Unofficial YWS Discord server. Come join us!: https://discordapp.com/invite/UhSr7uW

1272 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:48 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

@Gringoamericano

Ask @Rydia that.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:52 am
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Always ask @Rydia
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:54 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Oh god, don't ask @Rydia that.

(and we get new JMs when I get hungry, stop lying, everyone)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:11 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

@Gringoamericano - I believe I'm not only speaking for myself when I say, you'll know when it happens ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:27 am
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

This is all so amusing XD
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

What about the chicken, Jack?