z

Young Writers Society

Ask The Mods

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:35 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

@Rydia oh good lord I remember that. Everybody turned their avatars to mine, then changed them to that to pressure me into changing mine.

I did, it should be noted, eventually change it.

(Context for everyone who doesn't remember the pink unicorn avatar: I had the exact same avatar for six years on YWS, about a decade total across three forums, and only changed it temporarily. I did a purple unicorn on and off for a month, then I did the odd Halloween/Christmas avatar change... and I did that prank)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:14 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

What have been some of your favorite events to organize?
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:51 am
View Likes
LadySpark says...

@Meandbooks
As event queen, my favorite has definitely been the dr. Suess event. Most definitely not the most popular or successful, BUT SO MUCH FUN TO ORGANIZE. I WANNA DO IT AGAIN UGH.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:30 am
View Likes
birk says...

@LadySpark, my fave event of yours is definitely the Hunger Games event. That went really well!
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:40 am
View Likes
Omni says...

@Meandbooks my fondest memory was the radio show @Elinor put together. It was a ton of hard work but well worth it in the end! I even remember some technical difficulties we had during the day of the show but it went well enough for people to think it wasn't live! (Although it definitely was, I had to bring my laptop to my aunts house and do it in a guest room there haha)
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

355 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:38 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

ohoh I forgot about the Shakespeare Festival. Scratch everything I just said. I enjoyed the Shakespeare play so much I never wanted it to end. @Lumi, @Rosendorn, @Kyllorac and I spent hours upon hours on skype bonding and basically having the time of our lives. Favorite, hands down.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:44 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Meandbooks wrote:What have been some of your favorite events to organize?

I've had a blast with @Snoink when it comes to putting together radio shows. Those were fun. There was one show where we pretended that YWS was low on cash and had taken to allowing radio advertising. We then spent the rest of the show ad-libbing ads. At one point we even took a commercial break... inside a commercial break.

I think everyone wanted to kill us at the end. Kinda had to lay low.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:37 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

Speaking of radio shows, could that be a regular thing? I wanted to audition for Shakespeare, but I was short on time ;-;
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:57 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

@Reneia That depends on both finances and time.

See, the radio shows aren't necessarily free to produce. If you want to have the ability to record off air, or if you want more than 5 people listening/calling in, then you have to pay to run the show. Considering how many people were involved in the Shakespeare show, or would be involved in a larger production, it necessitates shows being paid for. Not to mention the number of people who call in for our regular shows!

Next up is time. Rehearsals took us an hour or two a week, and we'd often have to break up the rehearsals to accommodate a half dozen schedules and global time zones. The commitment is deceptively large, especially for the project organizer. For a regular show, you still have to plan out an hour+ worth of material, unless you want it to be an hour of non stop phone answering (which gets boring). Even with a ton of calls, you still need to have some structure to it.

We would love to do more radio shows, but between those two factors, it's really hard to produce them.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:40 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

Ah. Well, I'll definitely be looking out for them when they do come then! :D
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:16 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

On a semi-bump-related note (;)), I love how this thread took off! You even got us to talk about random mischief we cause or will cause (nope not planning anything). Does that mean that we're not as scary as the initial post suggests?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:51 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

@Meandbooks I used to run monthly fiction workshops with the GenLit crew and those will always hold a special place in my heart! It's been so long though I wonder if anyone who isn't a staff oldie even remembers them. o_o
Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:00 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

@Lauren2010 I remember the fiction workshops but I ran a few early on with Gen.Lit so maybe I come under the honourary Gen.Lit mod category?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

355 Reviews

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:52 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Oh I loved @Rydia's poetree games!!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil