z

Young Writers Society

Should leaderboards be based on points or reviews?

Should leaderboards be based on points or reviews?

70%
Reviews
30%

Total votes : 63

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:43 pm
Nate says...

Putting up a poll to gather thoughts on whether leaderboards should be based on points or reviews. Personally, I actually favor the former, though there are pros & cons for each.

Anyhow, vote in the poll and if you want, feel free to offer your thoughts below.

Edit: All-time leaderboards will remain based on reviews no matter what. How YWS counts points has changed over time, and it wouldn't be possible to rank the all-time board based on points.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:52 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

As much as I love watching the number of reviews tick closer to high numbers, quality over quantity wins for me.

Unless it was possible to have it based on one but you have the other in brackets beside. Like, it could read: "500 points (4 reviews)" or "500 points (5 reviews)"
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:56 pm
niteowl says...

It depends: How would the number of points be determined? Because I have a ridiculous amount of points right now, but I would have even more if I never gave gifts or never donated points for any reason. Is there a way to even calculate the cumulative amount of points earned, even if they've been spent?

I think points could work on the shorter-time-scale leaderboards, but I think the all-time board would make more sense keeping it as total reviews.

ETA: I like the idea of having the leaderboard by points but have the number of reviews also visible somehow
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

425 Reviews

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 pm
Nate says...

Great point @niteowl. The all-time leaderboards would have to necessarily stay based on number of reviews. I'll update my first post to add that.

@Rosendorn ->> I like that. Adding the review count in parentheses could be confusing, but could make it such that when you hover over a point count, you'd see the number of reviews then.

1272 Reviews

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

It might also be nice if less reviews was ranked higher, indicating the person got them by going in the Green Room. Don't know if that's possible, but if it is that could help encourage Green Room reviews.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:33 pm
KaiRyu says...

I think it doesn't really matter because don't the points rely on the reviews? But then again, oh I don't know this is complicated, comfusing stuff! Too much confusion!!! :shock:
“So what? You're another person so of course you look different. What do you need to be ashamed for?” Ciel Phantomhive

"Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram buy gold bye!" Bill Cipher

1272 Reviews

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:40 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

@1626632 The points do rely on reviews, but you can get more points by writing longer reviews. Nate's basically asking if we reward the person who earns more points, or writes more reviews total.

For example: say there are two people, A and B. Person A writes two very long reviews that get the maximum amount of Green Room points (125, for a total of 250 points), while Person B writes four short reviews (let's say 60 each, for a total of 240 points).

Right now, Person B would be higher on the leaderboards because they wrote more reviews. However, if the leaderboards were based on points, then Person A would be higher because they wrote longer ones.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:46 pm
KaiRyu says...

Okay, still too confusing,but okay. 8)
“So what? You're another person so of course you look different. What do you need to be ashamed for?” Ciel Phantomhive

"Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram buy gold bye!" Bill Cipher

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:15 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

I'm going back and forth but I think I'm ultimately leaning towards points for the reasons that have already been stated (rewarding quality over quantity). I also think it would be cool to be able to see the review count with the hovering feature. Then you kind of get the best of both worlds.

If it went by points, would the totals be affected by things other than reviewing? (Like points gained by welcoming or points spent.)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:42 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

I've always been Team Quality 100%, so if I had to pick I'd probably go with points, particularly with the Green Room aspect in mind.

My only concern would be the way in which the leaderboards were calculated i.e. someone might write heaps and heaps of lengthy reviews, but also shower their YWS buddies in gifts, and thus they'd not be acknowledged so much in the leaderboards despite being a swell reviewer.

Kinda what everyone else has said, really. Oops.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

425 Reviews

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:16 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Only points earned by reviewing would count, and it wouldn't matter if you donated those points away or sent gifts to others. Whenever you post a review, the amount of points that review earned is saved in the database. So all that would be done is to count up the points those reviews earned.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:05 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Points sound good. I like Rosey's idea with the points and then reviews in brackets or something.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:25 am
View Likes
Rurouni says...

I agree with Rosey's idea here! Quality over quantity wins my vote :D (Aka points!)
Cookies!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:24 am
caitlynnoco says...

Create an algorithm that uses both.
oscar wilde.. that is all.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:49 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I'm going to be argumentative and say that I like reviews better. :P

The more someone reviews, the better they get at it, just like the more you write the better you get at it. So, while quality is better than quantity, quantity usually leads to quality, which is awesome and I would rather encourage that.

By counting reviews, you will also have more newbies get the spotlight, since their eagerness and enthusiasm for reviewing is usually greater, which will (hopefully) increase their enthusiasm for the site overall (and hopefully increase their love of writing! Their reviews are just a bit shorter, usually.

The nice thing about points would be that it's very likely that the older members would be able to get their share of fame too, which is nice. Plus, you would look at the people with high quality reviews with tons of respect and perhaps look at them as rolemodels or something to attain for themselves. And, not all newbies have short reviews!

But... I sort of like the preferential treatment toward newbies. So, I'll side with reviews. ;)

I don't mind either though!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

I am proud of my self, the reason why some of you might disagree with me a little with, but nevertheless I still proud.
— Oxara