z

Young Writers Society

Should leaderboards be based on points or reviews?

Should leaderboards be based on points or reviews?

70%
Reviews
30%

Total votes : 63

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:24 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...

Hello, everyone.

I agree with Snoink about those with many reviews being rolemodels for people. They are being looked up to, and frankly, I don't think you will find a person with 1000 reviews who writes short ones or anything like that (not that I have seen, that is).

Anyway, @caitlynnoco, you can't connect the two values, because if you rank them by the average number of points per review, you will have people with 3 reviews taking up the first spot with an average of 125.

However, using Rosendorn's idea, you could use this average value in brackets next to either the number of points, as in 24 698 (97), or next to the number of reviews, as in 2375 (101), whichever is chosen to represent the leaderboard. That way you have a representative of both values, even though they won't both be used in the calculation. I know that it's basically the same as writing the opposite value of the one chosen in the brackets, but this way we could have a less confusing (at least for me) calculation for people with many points and many reviews.

It's just an idea, one that in my personal opinion would work well with either choice. I'm for reviews, because as Snoink said, a person can get good at reviewing, and a higher number of words does not necessarily mean a better quality review. I've seen people copy over entire passages so that they can point out one small grammatical error, or just to express their opinion on a single line (something of which I have been guilty once or twice).

I just think that just as people can write very short reviews (which has happened so many times on my few works, but I still get frustrated when it happens), there can also be those who write more words just so they can get more points, paraphrasing what they've already said, or going on about something unrelated to the work, or stretching out their ideas and opinions so that they have a higher word count.

Anyway, that's all just my opinion, I hope I've contributed in any way. Have a great day, everyone!
Deep thoughts remind me of unfinished

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:51 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

40 votes? We can do better! There's 36 people on YWS right now, and about 400 will log on at some point in the next 24 hours.

425 Reviews

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:52 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

I guess 50 votes isn't too bad, and it's been at around 70-30 in favor of points for a while now.

Anyways, thank you all for your input and thoughts! Look for a leaderboard re-design sometime around this weekend.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:28 am
Lightsong says...

Fifty-one is much better than fifty. ;)

I chose points, anyway. I feel like if points are stressed more, people would learn to write longer review next time, and by doing that, they can realize they can address more. While writing a lot of reviews are like exercises to make the reviewer create a better review, if there's no encouragement to them for that, the quality of said reviews would remain constant and not improving.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:22 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Another possibility: review-points!

Calculate by taking points earned, dividing them by the maximum possible points, then multiply them by the total number of reviews.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

425 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:40 pm
Nate says...

Haha @Griffinkeeper. While appealing, I dread the resulting confusion that would surely follow!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:35 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Nate wrote:Haha @Griffinkeeper. While appealing, I dread the resulting confusion that would surely follow!

If the formula works but the title is confusing, we could always just rename it to something that is vague; like "Bananas!"
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone is the hero of their own story, and the villain of another's.
— James