z

Young Writers Society

What does reviewing mean to you?

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:57 am
View Likes
Sins says...

Tearing people's self-worth to shreds until they're a pool of tears on the cold, hard ground.

Jk.

No, but in all seriousness, I just find it so fun. You get to read some brilliant pieces of writing, uncovering some real gems in the process, and help people by doing so. As someone who has no idea what they want to do with their mess of a life, reviewing has pushed me in the direction of editing and publishing. Some of my best YWS friends have arisen from me reviewing their work (or vice versa), so that aspect of it is pretty awesome.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:39 pm
RubyRed says...

Telling people they can do better and giving them tips on how to improve themselves.
You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote

Review link below!
Ruby's Reviews

Knight of the Green Room

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:02 am
WritingWolf says...

For me reviewing means several things. It means helping someone else to do their best, really thinking about what makes a piece good, and stars. lol
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:50 pm
TahaT11n says...

Well, at first it was points and stars. But slowly, it became something of fun and a bit of addiction. Now it's the same as writing something for my pleasure and my pleasure only. The best part is, by doing something I really enjoy and love, I get to help others.

Sometimes, I wish I could get a WHOLE day or week only to review and do nothing else!

I LOVE REVIEWING! :-)

Reviewing means writing for the sake of liking and helping to me.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:00 pm
JediDeadpool says...

I'm not that good at reviewing, as I believe that the only one who has any say in the contents of a story is the author. Butttttt, seeing as it's the only way to get points to fund MY writing... I view it as a necessary evil.
Sincerely,
A Humble YWS User.

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
~ Steven Wright ~

Every cat ish my little dark knight<3

Spoiler! :
Used to be Watchdog1324

Random avatar

Reviews: 36
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:52 pm
GodfreysBouillon says...

Last edited by GodfreysBouillon on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:02 am
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

Reviewing is a great way to give feedback to authors and also learn as the reviewer what works and doesn't work in writing. By noticing issues in strengths in someone else's writing, we can more easily recognize it in our own. It's a good way to build dialogue about a piece, and learn to read more deeply. Which can bring about both deeper appreciation and criticism of a piece than if you're reading a piece without the intention of reviewing.

This raccoon thinks that reviewing is pretty great! And it's excellent that YWS has such a strong culture of reviewing and people genuinely wanting to help each other with their writing. :)
"We're reviewing everything to see how we can do it better, faster, and more efficiently."
-David Neeleman

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians