z

Young Writers Society

The YWS 2015 Best Award Winners!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:54 pm
View Likes
Big Brother says...

A big congratulations to all of our winners and our gratitude to those who took the time to vote.

Best Overall Member@Deanie

There are a lot of areas on YWS in which someone could be the best. Best reviewer, best writer, best welcomer, best advisor. That's what these awards are all about. I won't say it's easy to be the best in one of these areas but it is easier; what's hard is being as good in all of them as Deanie is. She's friendly and generous with her time, she's fourth on the all time review leader boards and she's an irreplaceable piece of the heart of YWS.

Funniest Member@Hattable

Everyone likes to laugh, some might even say it's a necessity in life and we value those who can make us splutter even at the darkest times. Hattable is one such person, from praising himself in his Yearbook post to his fun and wonderful MSPaintt Commissions (his typo not mine ;)). Hattable can take a joke as good as he gives them and he makes our site a funner and brighter place.

Most Helpful Member/Friendliest Member@steampowered

It's easy to forget about some areas of the site, it's a big place. One of those areas we forget the most is the Welcome Mat because once we've joined the site, we don't need to post there any more. But we do and I'm glad we have people like steampowered who remember that. She welcomes people to our site, she answers questions in Ask an Expert and she helps out those in need. Steampowered keeps our engines running and we salute her for it.

Spam Master (a.k.a. Most Overly Active Member)@Hattable

Being funny is hard work and it takes a lot of effort or maybe it's a by-product of not enough sleep. Only our spam master could tell you that and I hear he's a practical joker so don't believe everything he says! He's our spam master though and there are few people as widely active or widely known as Hattable!

Best Reviewer of Prose@Carlito

Chapters take a long time to review and novels take even longer. Most of us would rather take on a short story or the briefest instalment of someone's work but Carlito is not afraid to go the extra mile. She reviews often and in depth and she tells you where your novel needs fixing and she does so with a friendly and positive attitude. Carlito points out the good and the bad and she helps authors to differentiate between them at every step on the way.

Best Reviewer of Poetry@Morrigan

It takes someone who knows poetry to be able to guide fellow poets on how to break or not break the rules. It's a difficult art of precision and exquisite beauty which treads a line so close to heart-rending ugliness that many a daring expert has been known to tumble over the horizontal mark. Sometimes this leads to something even more beautiful but it often takes an expert like Morrigan to show you the way and to tell you when to keep falling or to stop – and fly. Morrigan's reviews are concise and helpful; Morrigan is an expert faller.

Best Poet – @Nightcrawler

If you're looking for a good read then you can't go wrong by dipping into Nightcrawler's portfolio. Some of the writing there will make your skin crawl in the best way possible while others will make you question society and the nature of the world around us or they might give you an answer you weren't prepared to hear. Poetry's a good place to start but you don't have to end there.

Best Writer@Arkhaion @Lareine

For good prose the members of YWS would like to direct you to Lareine who weaves fluid plots around memorable characters and hooks the reader with lines like "Let's look at it instead as enjoying my last night on Earth." You'll find novels or short stories or even a slither of fan-fic if that's what takes your fancy. Whatever you go for, you're sure to find something you enjoy.

Best Debater@Snoink

So this is the fourth year in a row that Snoink is our best debater. Is there anything left to say? She expresses herself with strength and firm position but also with dignity and a willingness to hear the other side out. She never allows a debate to descend into the realms of personal insult and her stance is always backed by facts and compelling.

Best Lyricist@Arkhaion @Lareine

Our best writer doesn't only excel in prose but also in the area of lyrics and here Lareine's emotive writing is let off its leash and could quickly bring you to tears if you let it. Lareine is a master of both rhyme and brevity and puts them to good use to create art which resonates with its readers. We wouldn't be surprised to hear these playing on the radio one day.

Best Artist – @Nightcrawler

We call writing an art form and that's because we appreciate our sister 'art' which speaks the same messages in its own beautiful and intricate medium. Nightcrawler's drawing are fun and expressive but her range also encompasses realistic, provoking sketches. Why not take a look at Night's Artistic Imaginings and see for yourself?

Best Scriptwriter@Elinor

For the second year running, Elinor takes our title of Best Scriptwriter and with a few film productions already under her belt, it's no surprise. Elinor crafts plays which are both dramatic and deep, delving into what makes us human and how our actions affect those around us. They often have a shade of darkness but can be hopeful and are always inspiring.

Best Storybooker@TheClockworkConjurer @TheIllusiveIntellect

The land of Storybooks requires adventurers to be brave and committed and none are more so than TheIllusiveIntellect. He creates strong and fascinating characters and uses them to implement plots that are both dynamic and easy to follow. As part of this crew's armada he ensures badges are dealt out to the right people and that our ship runs like clockwork.

Best Moderator@Iggy and @Deanie

These are two more people who keep our ship running in tip top condition and it isn't always easy. There's a lot which goes on in the background and is a big sink hole of activity which most of the site don't even see but these two still manage to be at the fore front of the action, running events, helping members find their feet and being friendly and inspiring powerhouses around the site. Deanie and Iggy both have solid heads on their shoulders and are the first to step forward when their help is needed.

Best StoryThere Are 7 Reasons Why I Never Told You My Name by @confetti

I've not read it but it's rare for a single story to stand out in this category so I'm willing to trust my fellow YWS'ers and tell you it's worth reading. I'm personally intrigued by the title and will be checking it out myself (some time when I'm not masquerading as the spokes-person for a corrupt government).

Best Poemlune morte by @Nightcrawler

This one I have read and it's a beautiful if slightly chilling piece which deals with the raw emotions of loss and heartache but also a strong sense of unity. If you're looking for something emotional or have even a little fondness for wolves then this poem's for you.

Best NovelNo Romance by @AdrianMoon, Every Christmas by @ThePhoenix , Taste of Life by @Falconer , Apparition: The Game by @SpiritedWolfe, Shaping Faith by @Meandbooks,
Code: Select all
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/Pompadour/Elementrni—11-adjusted-110116
-- Elementárni by @Pompadour and
Code: Select all
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/Noelle/Burned—Prologue-119196
-- Burned by @Noelle

The most contended category this year is which novel is the best? Of course, that just means we have more choice when deciding what our next read will be! The dashes in the title make the last two impossible to link but please don't let that stop you from copy and pasting the url.

Best StorybookAnimorphers by @LeftyWriter

One storybook stood out for our members in 2015 and that was Animorphers with its diverse and engaging characters and following in the footsteps of a well loved children's series. Even if you're not a storybooker yourself, there's some fine writing here so why not take a read?

Best Off-Topic TopicLast Person to Post Here Wins by @Camikat

This topic has been going on so long now that we're on the 10th rendition. Who'd have thought all that time ago that the battle would go on so long? Many a member has lost but while there's still a topic, there's still hope and you could be our next winner.

Best Blog@Snoink

For three years running now Snoink has been the winner of best blog and with her tales of upholstery and adventures with bacon, it's easy to see why. What might have really won the crowds over are her warm and honest retellings of adult life, but of course they say for the beautiful tales of her gorgeous little girl Mary. Why not take a trip to The Pig Sty now?

Best Avatar@ChocolateCello, @Steggy and @Pompadour

It's a three way tie for best avatar and while our voters agree that cartoon avatars are the best, they've selected three very diverse winners from that category. We have the funny and cute 'Avatar' avatar which promised that yes, it is an avatar next to the slightly podgy but still very capable of movement stegosaurus and the robotic but irresistible Borg kitty who sits in opposition to the resistance. We all wish we'd chosen avatars like these!

No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
— W. A. Nance