z

Young Writers Society

Would You Rather Wednesday Jan. 13, 2016

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:43 pm
Nate says...

Time for a second round of Would You Rather Wednesday! Every Wednesday, we'll have a new "Would You Rather Wednesday" thread giving you two options. If this works out, great! If it doesn't, it'll die a silent death... ;)

Last Wednesday, you were asked to choose between:
1) Do all of your writing from now on in a cage with a trained puma?
2) Do all of your writing from now on via a smartphone where everytime you press 'e', the phone automatically calls the police?

Number 1 was a heavy favorite. I don't believe anyone opted for the second choice.

Now without further ado, here's round two!

Would you rather:

1) Be forced to do all your writing on a haunted mechanical keyboard where if you don't write 1,000 words every day, everything you've ever written is destroyed (incl. even the grocery store list)?

or...

2) Be forced to do all your writing with a haunted pencil where the tip breaks every 50 words, but there's otherwise no consequences?

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:46 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

#2. I ain't got time to write 1k a day ;-;

And if the tip only breaks every 50 words, that means it won't break every other second, which means less sharpening to do than you would normally have to do because pencils are stupid. Win? I think yes >.>
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:49 pm
Steggy says...

I rather do the haunted pencils. Sure, it may break every 50 seconds but you never said we couldn't continuously sharpen it.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:42 pm
Carlito says...

I think I could definitely handle the pencil. If there was a mechanical sharpener on hand it would give me a little time to think of the next thing before starting again. I hate writing by hand and I'm sure it would get very annoying very quickly, but I feel like it's better than the other alternative! It would motivate me to write, but there's no way it would be possible every day.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:58 pm
Vervain says...

I'm going to go with the pencil, too. If I had more time on my hands (if I was getting paid per word for these 1k words a day :P) I might pick the keyboard, but I'd much rather have the pencil.
stay off the faerie paths

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:13 pm
Mea says...

Yeah, I'd go with the pencil too. I wish I had time in my life to write 1k every day.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 pm
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

Okay, so storytime. Ish. The computer I'd done all my writing on over the last four years (aside from a little written in notebooks) went kaput a little while ago, and I lost SO MUCH of my old writing. Quite a bit is still on YWS and USBs and stuff, but there's little beginnings to chapters and scribbles and the beginning of my attempts to transform a short story I wrote last year into a novel that I was really happy with so far that was all lost. It wasn't a total disaster, but it threw me off quite a bit.

So obviously, I'm going with the pencil. The pace I write at, it probably wouldn't even be that annoying anyway. I'm lucky if I get 100 words most days.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:44 pm
View Likes
Sevro says...

Haunted pencil. I would have one of those automatic-stopping pencil sharpeners at my desk, and a garbage can underneath to empty the pencil sharpener into. *cues Lion King music- "BE PREEEPAAAAAAARRRED!*
"They think I'm still a child. The fools. Alexander was a child when he ruined his first nation."
—Darrow from the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown<3

Spoiler! :
Formerly olsene and Caterpickle

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:56 pm
niteowl says...

I'm going with the pencil. Even having been in a similar situation (where I could only write with pencil and had to get it sharpened constantly), it's much preferable to losing everything.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:12 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

I'll be the first person to say the keyboard... it would be a good motivator... and it would help me type a lot faster too!

And if all else fails, there's the option of copy/pasting the words 'I don't like zucchini sauce' 200 times. That's a thousand words! :D
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:52 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

I second the keyboard. I think that my writing is so much better and faster (spellcheck and fingers people) also it might finally motivate me to get out of my writers's block and stop procrastinating. I spend tons of time on YWS so finding time isn't a problem, my lack of motivation is, so I think that this mechanical keyboard would definitively boost and work in a positive way for me personally.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:58 pm
View Likes
EternalRain says...

There is no way I can write with a pencil. And a haunted pencil for that matter? Forget it.

So I'll go with Reneia and Pretzel and say that keyboard.

It would be such a good motivator and actually get me to write a lot.
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:30 am
Lefty says...

I was tempted to say the computer because my hand cramps up really easily/quickly when I write by hand. But... being forced to write a certain amount every day would stress me out and I just can't write everyday. I burn-out if I do. So... I'm going to go with the pencil.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:00 am
Snoink says...

Pencil!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 am
rainforest says...

Haunted pencils
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon