z

Young Writers Society

Making a really simple mobile app. Need input!

Which YWS generator would you be most interested in as a mobile app?

Name generator
32%
Poetic line generator
16%
Story theme generator
23%
Shakespearean insults
30%

Total votes : 44

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:16 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Need some thoughts. I've been fooling around with mobile app development, and I'd like to go ahead and publish a really simple YWS-branded mobile app.

So, I'm going to start with turning one of the YWS generators into an app. I've put up a poll, and I'd be most grateful if you could choose which one you'd be most interested in. Keep in mind that these would all be just taking what already exists and turning it into a mobile app, so nothing fancy. Mostly just a learning experience for myself so that perhaps one day, I can put together an actual YWS app.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:28 pm
SkyeWalker says...

Everyone needs another name generator. Good ones are hard to find. If you make a name generator app I'll definitely download it XDD
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:52 pm
Holysocks says...

It was between the name generator and the Shakespearean insults for me. I decided on the Shakespearean insults because although a name generator would be useful, there's already so many, and the insults are super fun. XP
100% autistic

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:12 pm
niteowl says...

I think the poetic line generator would be most useful, as I know I've used it as a springboard for poems before and you can write poems anywhere. Some portable inspiration would be cool! :D
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:08 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

I feel like the insults may have a wider appeal due to the silly nature of it.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:03 am
TimmyJake says...

The day Nate makes a mobile app is the day my productivity officially becomes nonexistent. >>

I think I'd use the Name Generator more than any, but they're all cool. xd
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:50 am
Rook says...

If I /could/ get apps on my dumbphone, I'd probably use the Shakespearean insult one the most because like, sometimes you just need an erudite insult right at your fingertips, while character names and the like should probably be thought through a little more.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:57 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Looks like a tie between Shakespearean insults and name generator. So, I'm going to go ahead and do the former first since it's a lot simpler.

Thanks all for voting and for the feedback! What I'm hoping to do is eventually turn all four into YWS-branded mobile apps, and then maybe move onto creating a YWS app. If the YWS app happens though, don't expect it for at least another year. I'd like to create one as that's plainly where the users are going, but it essentially means rebuilding the site from the ground up.

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang