z

Young Writers Society

Replacing the Writing Gooder block

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:30 pm
Nate says...

What should replace the Writing Gooder block on the front page? Top 5 reviewers? Reading recommendations? Recent posts? Knowledge base articles? A talking paperclip? Something else?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:39 pm
Rosendorn says...

It'd be a good place for top 5 reviews
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:36 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

Knowledge Base articles! It's one of my favourite places but I know that some people rarely, if ever, venture over there, despite its extreme usefulness.

Otherwise, I like the idea of a talking paperclip. (Although not one that gives me tips about the website or how to use MS Word.)

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:54 am
Mea says...

Ooh, I second the Knowledge Base articles idea.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:06 am
Iggy says...

Thirded! (Is that a word)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:24 am
Tuesday says...

I like the idea of the Knowledge base articles.
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:30 am
Apricity says...

We should definitely have the Knowledge base articles. And of course I'm not biased. The Top 5 reviews sounds like a good idea too.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:55 am
Lightsong says...

I seconded Roserndorn. I mean, Knowledge base articles isn't a bad idea too, but showcasing five top reviews would do since YWS is more focus to the amount of reviews.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:14 pm
Steggy says...

I second what Lightsong said.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:34 pm
Virgil says...

I am so excited that we're bringing up talking paperclips. They could tell you a bit of information or a fact about writing maybe, and if someone just joins yws, it will welcome them and then give them a fact. That would be a very interesting thing, to have a talking paperclip, and I'm for it.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:49 pm
Pretzelstick says...

I agree with Lav on the knowledge base articles going there.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

To be honest, there's no big needs to feature on Knowledge base articles. They should be featured when less attentions are given to them, but as I've been roaming around that area, I found that although the feedbacks to such articles weren't much, the views were satisfying. On Grammar & Research area alone, the topics in average got at least 500+ views, which was good. Plus, some reviewers had linked to them in the reviews, promoting more the articles.

Examples of good reviews, on the other hand, doesn't have much room for themselves, unlike Knowledge base articles. We've told to make quality reviews but the articles that dedicated themselves to tell us about how to make them are not much. In accordance to that, giving examples of good reviews by promoting them would attract more reviewers to improve their reviews, and also make them want their reviews to be featured.

To sum it up, I just think attention to good reviews should be our first priority here instead of promoting articles that already have satisfying views. :)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:27 pm
StellaThomas says...

I think top 5 reviews would be great :)

If there's a KB article you want featured, why not ask a member of staff to add it to Staff Picks?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:28 pm
Nate says...

Sadly, featuring top reviews isn't really possible. There are simply not enough likes, and there's really not even enough to pull the top 5 for the previous month. You could go the curated route, but YWS runs on an all-volunteer staff who have busy lives.

Plus, the top reviews can now show up in the Literary Spotlight, although I don't believe it's happened yet.

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:31 pm
Vervain says...

If featuring top reviews isn't possible, then I'd be all for featuring some Knowledge Base articles. They're really helpful, and some people on the site might not realize just how far the KB goes in helping people out, so they might not even think of it unless they see something featuring the articles.

Not to mention, a lot of the KB article views have been amassed over years. So it's not 500 people viewing them in the last six months, it's 500 people viewing them since maybe 2011 or even earlier.
stay off the faerie paths

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
— Dr. Seuss