Young Writers Society

2016 Reading Challenge

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:33 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

I'm almost halfway with 18/40! However, I just keep jamming books I've read into the categories, and I'm starting to run out...
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:54 am
View Likes
Werthan says...

OK, I've already read a lot of these, and some of these I'm going to have to read in school. I think I should just go visit several bookstores several times each until I find an unobjectionable first book I see and read that and have this done.
Und so lang du das nicht hast
Dieses: Stirb und Werde!
Bist du nur ein trüber Gast
Auf der dunklen Erde

(And as long as you don't have
This: Die and become!
You are only a gloomy guest
On the dark Earth)

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:19 pm
Deanie says...

My progress is going pretty well! I'm at 28/40 but I should really start reading books for the challenge instead of just trying to match the ones I'm reading... because I'm running out of categories to fill like that :D
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:20 pm
manisha says...

I'm lagging behind I feel. I'm at 18/40.
Law school is unrelenting.
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:50 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

Bumping this and updated mine! 22 books out of the challenge, but 30 in total so far :)

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

189 Reviews

Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:14 am
manisha says...

Updated mine too! I have 7 more to go!
Any suggestions for a self improvement book?
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:04 am
TriSARAHtops says...

I am laughably behind on this, and most of my books that I have read either don't fit any of thr categories or fit several at once. I've also started to resorting to being fairly liberal with the meanings of certain criteria. I mean, technically Australia's an island, so I'm not cheating, but still. It's doubtful I'll finish it, but going for a last ditch effort!
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

878 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:08 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

@manisha - wow, you're doing so great! Have you read Marie Kondo's "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying"? Technically it's about, well, tidying, but the ideology is something that could be considered self-improvement. The goal besides having a tidy house/flat is to also feel lighter within yourself, so I think that could definitely be counted in that category. It was very detailed and occasionally overly sentimental, I felt, but it was still a really good book and it definitely inspired me!

Got YWS?

189 Reviews

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:29 pm
manisha says...

@Demeter Then I'll be reading that! :)

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:38 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

My last update of the year and I got nine books out of fifty—I know what you're thinking, I'm pretty bad at this. I'm really bad at multi-tasking and college is not helping a bit. Anyway, let's move on to the 2017 challenge. 8)
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:47 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

There's a chance I might get one more book done this year, but I haven't got anything since my last update in November... Let's hope the 2017 challenge goes better! Still, I'm pretty happy with my 30 books so far, even if some of them were quick teen reads.

Got YWS?

189 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:04 pm
View Likes
manisha says...

I have three more to go! And I'm having exams. That says it all.
But I'm happy. I discovered some great books this year.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:01 am
Dreamy says...

Eeeeek! Got in the last book of the year-- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I never really thought I'd actually like fantasy novels-- ah, sometimes I surprise myself. Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite so far, and I cannot wait to surprise myself even more coming year! Eeeek! :D
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

189 Reviews

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:00 pm
View Likes
manisha says...

@Dreamy You are reading Harry Potter for the first time? You are going to fall in love with it.
I almost made it in 2016. I fell short of two books. But I discovered some amazing ones. I'll thank 2016 for that if not for anything else. :D

I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser