Young Writers Society

How Did You Come Up With Your Username?

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

Now I have seen some cool usernames and always wondered how people got their names. I got my username from a sticker my brother got me, showed an orange dinosaur. It can be from anywhere; a magazine, book character or just your imagination ^^

Post your story/meaning behind your username in here! :)
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:18 pm
View Likes
Djinn says...

I actually based my username off of a race in a children's book. The name of the book was "Children of the Lamp" and I have always identified with the characters. Since then I've seen many different spellings of the word but I stick with Djinn because that's how the book spelled it. No matter how you spell it no one likes the term "Genie" - it's positively racist.
~When life hands you lemons, make grape juice and have everyone wonder how you did it!

~Taking imagination to a whole new level

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:09 pm
View Likes
tigeraye says...

it derives from my fondness for pirates and tigers, as well as two aliases I used online when I was younger, "GreatTiger" and "EyeOfTheStorm". Plus, I think Tigereye was taken on another writing website I tried to sign up for.
dot

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:42 pm
View Likes
Snazzy says...

Well, it's more band related than anything else. surprising, I know One day in band, our old director wore something other than his normal suit and tie (he has a huge collection of ties). It was really weird - and history making at the same time. xD I looked at one of my clarinet friends, and jokingly said "he's not wearing a tie, he must be mad!" She responded with, "yeah, normally he wears...wears...normally he wears snazzy stuff".

...and that's been "my word" ever since. I only use it for 'special' occasions. xD The pencil part I just added on to make it sound "writish-y". :D :D
Disciple of Christ • Coffee Addict • Poetry Consumer

Formerly SnazzyPencil

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:43 pm
View Likes
BellaRoma says...

Mine is Italian (I'm reasonably sure). Bella means beautiful.
It was just what I was thinking at the time, really.
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:54 pm
View Likes
FallWolf says...

Mine is pretty boring actually =P. I was signing up and thinking about what to do, and I looked outside and saw what a beautiful fall day God had made, so I was like "You know what, time for a new pseudonym!" so I got Fall. Wolves have always piqued my interest, because they are so loyal and wild.
Last edited by FallWolf on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

274 Reviews

Reviews: 274
Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 pm
View Likes
cleverclogs says...

Mine was a line in The Crimson Horror from Doctor Who that just sort of stuck in my head after I watched it. When I was making my account here, I couldn't think of anything else. And that is the story of how I came to be here, gracing you with my clogginess. :P
In the beginning, the universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams

This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:30 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

A friend of mine called me Carlito in middle school as a nick-name and I always sort of liked it :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:02 pm
View Likes
silverhanded says...

deleted
Last edited by silverhanded on Fri May 11, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:37 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I've used mine for a while on various sites. Basically, I decided I wanted a username that was fundamentally me, and, well, it always came back to me and books. I've loved a lot of things, but I've loved books my whole life. I have no idea where I'd be if I didn't read. Hence, Meandbooks.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:40 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

My original name, JKHatt, was my initials (J and K) and hat with two Ts because why not?

Unsurprisingly, Hatt was a common nickname, but @Holysocks wanted something more than Hatt, so she started calling me Hattable ('cause it's fancyyy. Or not. I dunno how she came up with it.) and I eventually stole it from her. :p

SO YAY.

I quite like Hattable. Especially prefer it over JKHatt. Good name, I think.
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:06 am
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

I was bored and went on a random username generator and I typed in food and nature. I loved Pretzelsnow, and I actually even used it on another website. Winter passed out here, and I wanted a change to my passion, singing, so I was Pretzelsing. And then of course, not too long ago I changed it to Pretzelstick in honor of the food that I love to eat.

People on here mostly call me Pretzel, and it just described "me" in one word perfectly.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:48 am
View Likes
AceOfPayds says...

My name's AceOfPayds. People don't always get the real reason that I use this name though. It's really a bunch of reasons compiled into one big one.

Firstly, I know we're not supposed to share our personal info, but my first name is Payden. Yep, not to be confused with Peyton. So anyway, my friends were starting to call me "Payds" because my original name was so, and I quote, "dull and stupid". Whatever that means.

So, one day, another friend of mine and I were playing a harmless game of cards. He pulled out an Ace of Spades. He laughed and thought, "Hey, if you ever become a star poker-player, you should go by Ace Of Payds." He had this funny smile like he had just discovered some new planet. I thought it was pretty clever, so I ended up marveling at this new nickname my friend had mustered.

Now I use it on pretty much everything. And all my friends either refer to me as "Payds" or "AceOfPayds".

That's pretty much it...

-Payds

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:10 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

I originally used TriSARAHtops as a username on a different site, but the origins are pretty clear. My name's Sarah (shock! gasp!) and so it's a play on triceratops (which also happens to be, incidentally, the best dinosaur).
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:45 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

This is a bit of a story.

So, uh, on an old forum website, I changed my username (originally eastern_1 for reasons, I don't even remember why) at one point to 'live forever'. (It's still that, by the way, but you can't find any of my embarrassing old posts if you find said forum because they've cleaned it out. Hah.) I distinctly remember this was because I had something of a Thing about immortality at that time - I was 14 when I made the change, and I found the concept incredibly intriguing. I mean, hey, I'm only human.

Then the time came when I made an account on the NaNoWriMo website - that was when I was 15, shortly before I made my YWS account. I took that old username, 'live forever', and part of my email address (which I still use, so y'all ain't getting that), 'ancient', and mashed it into the little mess that was 'ancientforever'.

Well, I liked that so much, it carried over when I made my YWS account. (And that is the story of how I was nicknamed Anci/Affy/Ancifo. 'Cause.)

Obviously, I kept that username for quite a while on here, until sometime last year I started getting dissatisfied with it. It just didn't fit me any more, considering I no longer had my obsession with immortality, and the username itself was just a reminder of, basically, the worst year of my life. So I dropped the 'forever' part, translated the 'ancient' part (which did still fit me a bit, I felt) into another language - Greek, if you're wondering - and went with Arkhaion.

I was going to do Arkhaiion and be double-I twins with Auxii, but readability won out :P So there's the long story of why in Sam Hill my name is 'ancient'.
stay off the faerie paths

life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae