z

Young Writers Society

How Did You Come Up With Your Username?

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:45 pm
View Likes
Edelweiss says...

The Sound of Music, if you have seen it than it would be obvious.
Edelweiss, are a beautiful white, fuzzy flower, and native to Austria. In the movie a song was written about them, and used for Austria's national anthem.
I liked it so much I wanted it for my username, though at first purposely spelled it wrong, but pronounced the same way. Adelvise, you see at first I really had no idea Edelweiss had a W in it. I had assumed the whole time it was spelled Adelvise, heh oh well!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

Benjamin Franklin

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:48 pm
NicoleBri says...

Nicole is my middle name and Brittany is my first. Haha, so mine is very predictable! <3
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:01 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Basically, "fortis" means "strength" in Latin (or something close to it). I don't know Latin, but I've always liked it and how old it is etc. You translate something into Latin and suddenly it's refined and scientific and fancy (Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus, anyone?).
Why I chose the word strength is kind of personal, but let's just say I knew that strength (mostly mental, spiritual, emotional) would be important in my life, and I always wanted to remember that. It worked too!
Then fortis is such an easy username, and I like how casual the nickname "fort" sounds, like I'm on good terms with everyone you know? It just is comfortable. (heh comFORTable). So I'm sticking with it.

The reason it's not capitalized is because latin (I've heard) does not have an uppercase/lowercase distinction, and all caps would just be annoying to me. Also because in poetry, you get to decide how you want to capitalize because that is your decision, and I liked having that decision on my username. I also think lowercase f is pretty c:

Also fortis reminds me of aqua fortis and that one bird with fortis in its scientific name, and both these things remind me of science and I like science. :D

This is literally the longest explanation of my username I've ever given I think.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:38 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

I realized that due to YWS' wonderful knack at having new members every few seconds, very few people know how Lavvie came to be.

Or the fact that Lavvie was not the username I signed up with nearly six years ago.

When I first signed up, my username was LavenderBlue. At the time, I used this name for almost everything, except e-mail. I don't really know how I came up with it but I thought it was pretty and I really like the smell of lavender as well as its colour. It's also from a common nursery rhyme that I grew up with.

Anyway, naturally, nicknames developed and eventually I became quite attached to a few, including Lav and Lavvie. Approximately a year or two after joining, I asked our beloved @Snoink to change it to Lavvie (and I was *this* close to having it actually changed to Lav). So, since then, I've been Lavvie, for about four or five years, I guess.

A few days later, I learnt that "lavvie" can also be slang for lavatory. As in, toilet. Therefore, I am also sometimes endearingly called Lavatory.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:00 am
CuriosityCat says...

Well, my story isn't nearly as exciting as some people's. I just thought it would be cute to have a saying as a username and said, "Hey! I have cats and a macabre sense of humor. What about CuriosityKilledTheCat?" Then I realized that that was a little long and, you know, dumb-sounding, so I deleted some words and ended up with the magnificent username I have today. I haven't changed it once. :3
Nothing to see here, puny mortals. Move along.

"I’m always going to embarrass myself and I’m pretty comfortable with that now."
— Misha Collins

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:47 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

My old username, TheLearningWriter, was the result of incredibly bad brain fart, so bad that I was pacing back and forth and listing username ideas to no one. However, this one has a different story altogether. Imagine a bored 8th grade me, anxiously awaiting for other people to finish their tests. I had no access to the internet, and knew I just had to come up with the name for a character in a fantasy story of mine. The problem was that I couldn't use the random name generator that I had relied on for my fanfictions that demanded strange and unusual names.
I took a spare scrape of paper and, pencil in hand, I began to write down adjectives. Sad. Majestic. Magical. Strong. And then, to my amazement, a name came to me. That name was Magestorrow. So that, my fellow writing friend, is how my username came to be. It was the first fantasy name that I had come up with in my own.
Last edited by Mageheart on Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:10 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Okay, story time.

My first story on this site, Dream-Hunters, is inspired partially by an anime called Yumekui Merry. In it, the antagonist of the first episode is a man with a bizarre saw weapon. This man was a dream-demon called John Doe, or The Chaser. As such, I adopted these names for the protagonist and antagonist of Dream-Hunters, respectively with a few tweaks. (John's last name is Dureal, like John Doe-Real, and Chaser has a completely different personality based on Hazama from Blazblue)

Since I was in a rush to join this site, I ended up just adopting Chaser as my username as well.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:54 pm
View Likes
Lieke says...

My username is my first name. It's a Dutch name that nobody but Dutch people can pronounce correctly, but I like it regardless. The first part 'Lie' is pronounced something like 'Lee' and then the 'ke' is a flat sound, like 'cup' without the 'p'.
"Write something, yeah it might be worthless. Then paint something and it might be wordless. Pointless curses, nonsense verses, you'll see purpose start to surface."

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:14 am
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Smacked the Keyboard.

Tru story
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:36 pm
View Likes
jumpingsheep says...

I had this rad picture of a jumping sheep that I found in my pictures so I was like "jumping sheep it is".
hello there

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:45 pm
View Likes
Amnesia says...

I have these memories that I don't know. Like they range from my ages but I cant pin them on a certain date or age. I mean I've never lived in a place that grass was soft or where it would drizzle but I could just run around. We had a tree house but at the same time I don't know where these memories originate from. I also have memories I can't remember. Thus ForgottenMemories and Amnesia being the same thing those were and are my username today
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:51 pm
View Likes
ArcticMonkey says...

Favourite band! :D

...or at least at the time, my favourite band, now I'm pretty sick of them but I still like this username.
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:53 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I came up with "Rosey Unicorn" when I was 12~ as something I wouldn't get tired of... considering I didn't change it again until I was 22, I think I was right. (Favourite colour at the time+ favourite mythological creature)

For my current one, @RacheDrache loved calling me Rosen, which meant Rose in German, so I asked her for a phonetically pleasing way of adding "thorn" in German to it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:18 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Zolen while yes, a german word meaning sole, as in the sole of a shoe. Was to me a name I made up to mean "fake lightning".

At roughly 13 rather then using real names, or creating them out of weird sounding words. I tried creating names via making sounds until something sounded nice. One of those random sounds that seemed cool was Zolen. Which I attached to a story book character that I created who's powers had a lot to do with controlling his own energy. One of the manifestations of that being the ability to shoot energy out like lightning. Thus I decided the word I made up meant that.

I was very disappointed to learn Germany thought of the word first and used it for something so boring.

While I eventually stopped writing the story, its still a word nobody really uses for a username, so often free for me to use.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)