z

Young Writers Society

Love the words, guys

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:00 am
View Likes
Storygirl95 says...

Today this guy tried to tell me Americans don't have a wide vocabulary. I wasn't going to engage in an argument just for that, but he kept making comments, especially about people in my age group. So I politely said, "That's a bit of a generalization, isn't it?"
Then he tried to imply that if I thought so, I should prove it.
Now, I'm not one to brag, but I like to consider myself a word nerd. As such, I do not take kindly to people disregarding my love for the English language. SO I just went to town.
He looked surprised when I started using words in normal conversation that don't usually appear colloquially. Like boisterous and adroitly. These aren't uncommon, but I didn't want to bust out the archaic section of my brain.
But then he continued to be a little bucket of snot(to put it ineloquently) so I just started asking him if he knew word definitions.
Glabrous may have come up. Perhaps vitriolic and egregious. My personal favorite was Floccinaucinihilipilification.
Needless to say, he wasn't so smug anymore.
Word nerd power everyone! Embrace your love for language. :)
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

Remember when dad's shoulders were the highest place on earth and your mom was your hero? Race issues were about who ran the fastest, war was only a car game. The most pain you felt was when you skinned your knees, and good byes only meant tomorrow? And we couldn't wait to grow up.
— Unknown