z

Young Writers Society

Post Your Book/Novel/Short Story Quotes

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:16 pm
View Likes
Lefty says...

This thread is much like the "Post your Quotes" thread, except, these are quotes from your stories! Anything you've written in your fiction or that your characters have done/said can be posted here.

Guidelines:
*Must be written by you unless you put a disclaimer. You pay post other peoples fictional quotes from YWS if something really jumped out at you, with their permission.
*Try to keep your quotes under 200 words.
*One quote per post. Once someone else has posted, you may post again.
*It doesn't have to be from something you currently have posted on YWS. If it's a story you've been working on and haven't published on it yws yet, that's fine. Just as long as it's by you or someone from yws.

It can be funny or something you think was beautifully written or maybe something thought provoking... Or just a sentence/scene that you just really liked!

Okay, who wants to start? :wink:
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:24 pm
View Likes
jumpingsheep says...

"What we see of people are just snippets, individual sentences in a much larger story. There’s a world beyond what we see and what we know.

We can’t see what happens after hours, but we can always assume there is a greater constellation that we are only a single star in. Maybe beyond the void formed by our singular lives, there are others out there with the same fears and hopes, who have encountered the same triumphs and tragedies, who have witnessed the same joys and disasters. Except... we can’t always see that. All we can do is reach across the void, and maybe, one day, they’ll reach out too."
hello there

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:34 am
View Likes
tigeraye says...

Sure. I started working on this trilogy titled "Catalina" a while back. I finished the first two parts and posted them here. This excerpt is from an early draft of the third that I lost interest in finishing.

“It doesn’t matter. None of this does. Emily never cared about me, or even about ridding the world of monsters. She was the real monster. She never cared about justice against pedophiles; all she wanted to do was mindlessly slaughter a bunch of men. She had this planned since the very start. She was the chess master, and I was just her stupid pawn. But do you know why none of this matters? She already readied the bomb. And we’re all about to die.”
“…”
“…”
Everybody run!!” Vito Manchez shouted at the top of his lungs.
dot

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:29 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

From Dream-Hunters:

And he laughed. His giddiness filled the void with harsh cacophony, his madness fueled by the Mask. Hatred boiled into his soul, releasing in waves of sinister cackling. “Yeah,” he breathed heavily. “I’ll be the one to save the world.”

And that's the protagonist talking.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:43 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

From Merah, Bad Lights, Good Lights:

My head was dumped on my folded arms. I could feel my tears wetting them. I didn’t care. You don’t care about anything around you when you cry. You just cry. So I cried. I cried because of many things. Father getting mad again. Mother getting yelled at again. Us getting scolded again. Mother crying again.

The whole process happened every time we did something wrong. Or if we didn’t do something right. If we forgot to do it. It didn’t matter how big or small our fault was. What matter if there was any fault. And there was fault everyday. You can’t expect people to do everything right at all time, in every hour and minute and second. You just can’t. You are asking for an angel if you do.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

93 Reviews

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:47 am
View Likes
Lefty says...

“Come on, Daniel! Come on!”

Finally, the last time I press down, his eyes shoot open and he chokes water out of his mouth. Unbelievable relief surges through me. Daniel coughs a few times with his eyes squeezed shut.

After a moment, he opens them and looks up at me with glossy blue eyes. “Lydia,” he says quietly, still trying to catch his breath. “You saved me…”

“Yeah… Daniel, you scared the hell out of me." Tears make their way into my eyes. "I thought you were gone!”

Daniel gives me a weak smile. “They can’t get rid of me that easy.”

He props himself up on his elbows and I lean forward and wrap my arms around his shoulders. “Kinch already took my family. I can’t lose you too.” I say, emotion flooding into my voice and becoming mumbles in the curve of his neck.

Daniel pulls me away and looks me in the eye. “Lydia, you won’t lose me,” he says. “We will always be together. We have always been together. Nothing will ever change that.”

From The Fighter of Aldea - Chapter 27 - Lydia's POV.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:46 am
Steggy says...

From Max's Day:

It was sunny day with clouds scattered throughout the area and below the bright blue sky, was a boy who had a rocket and a dream; although the dream was short-termed when it started to rain suddenly and that was the beginning of a bad day. However a few miles away, another boy with the same rocket was going to have such luck that the luck would crush his poor innocent soul.
That is basically life but that is the whole grilled cheese sandwich. Oh no, the sandwich- I mean, story is just beginning. And it begins with a boy named Maxwell Long.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

93 Reviews

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:25 am
View Likes
Lefty says...

“I can’t let you do this!” she says breathlessly.

“They’ll never know I’m there. I just have to get her out. I’ll wait until nightfall!” I explain through huffs and grunts. Finally I break free and flip around to face her.

“We didn’t have time to finish the job,” Regina tells me sternly. “You get within a couple hundred feet of the place and you’ll have Kinch’s entire Yorkshire army on top of you.”

I ponder this for a moment. The worry and terror I feel cloud my judgement. “I don’t care. I’m going in there! I have to rescue her! I have to save Lydia!” I blurt out, standing up and trudging once again towards the bikes.

“You have to know this isn’t a good idea! Why are you doing this—” she shouts, grabbing my arm again.

I cut off her sentence. Yanking my arm away and turning to her, I yell, “Because I love her!”

Regina stares at me with wide eyes. We stand silently for a moment, staring each other in the eye. I didn’t realize it until now but I know it’s true.

Finally I break the silence and whisper, “I can’t lose her again…”

From Untitled (Book 3 of TFoA trilogy) - Chapter 1 - Daniel's POV

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:05 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"Friends don't always stick together. You believe in best friends, that you'll always be together for the rest of your life. But then you drift apart, or something tears you apart. You lose them, and then gain more friends. The cycle repeats itself over and over until the day your coffin is lowered into a worm-ridden hole. It's an unavoidable part of life."

-Schadel, Schadel: Chapter 1
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:13 pm
View Likes
carbonCore says...

My favourite first line from a story I wrote:

Have you ever felt so much pain that you started calling morphine "liquid Christ"? I have.
_

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:22 am
BellaRoma says...

Not expecting an answer, I moved on. “You don’t own me! When did you decide you could play whatever stupid head games you like?” I spat at his feet, clear spittle laced with vermillion blood from the bite wound in my tongue.

“What pains you more? Knowing that I play those mind games, or that you let me… because it could be worse?” he responded remorselessly. “We may be enemies, but I know you better than any friend. If you don’t like it, then don’t ask me to be honest.”

He smirked. “Besides, you’re here, aren’t you?”
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:29 am
View Likes
Storygirl95 says...

There's a text from Eric on the screen.
"I swear to god, woman," the text reads, "if you're ditching me right now to watch cooking shows I'm revoking your rights as my best friend."
"Don't get your granny panties in a knot," I text back. "I was busy with something else. I'll be there in half an hour."
"You're buying the ice cream because you're late," he replies. "And how dare you. I'm wearing a thong, you insensitive jerk."
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:07 pm
SkyeWalker says...

Maddox’s olive-green eyes snapped open with the slight disturbance at the entrance of his cave, the place where he felt at home. He remembered his future counterpart, however crazy that sounded, saying that he needed to act reclusive and mysterious at first. He was a good enough actor, he could do it. Maddox smirked and closed his eyes, concentrating. He extended his hand and willed the cave to shake. He felt a shudder of power flow through him. The bright green gem around his neck pulsed softly, consenting to his command. He opened his glowing green eyes and watched, smirking, as the cave quaked, shaking the strongest stalactites. He heard stumbling footsteps falling closer and closer to his location. This was going to be fun.
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

93 Reviews

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:15 pm
Lefty says...

I’m overwhelmed with sadness and hopelessness. How did this go so wrong? How was it so smooth one second and chaotic the next? Is Nate dead because of me? I can barely handle the thought. My breaths come in rapid gasps. Of the mixture of emotions that threaten to overpower me, defiance and determination win out, if only for a moment.

An elbow into the side of my restrainer is finally enough to break free and I make a beeline for Nate. But when someone grabs my bleeding shoulder, it sends me onto my knees with a cry of pain, tears springing into my eyes.

I look up at Regina, defeated, knowing there’s nothing else I can do. And the last thing I see is the horrified look on her face when I’m hit over the head and I crumple to the ground in a veil of blackness.

From The Sorcerer of Aldea - Lydia's POV

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:44 am
Lightsong says...

From Serena PoV, Serena, the Colours, and the Death

The question they always have in their minds, Serena thought. Why him? Why her? Why did fate choose him or her? Why did this happen to me? “The answer is simple, Doris. Sometimes we cannot control everything. Sometimes everything happens against our calculation to remind us we’re humans and have flaws - to remind us that we stick to the ground and follow its rules. It isn’t fair, but we are built to overcome it by the strength of our will.”
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

Live your life how you want, but don't confuse drama with happiness.
— Ron, Parks & Rec