z

Young Writers Society

Post Your Book/Novel/Short Story Quotes

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:15 am
GLaDOS says...

“Your saliva is not pardoned.” Shoko grinned slightly and proceeded meandering through the forest, looking for something besides the same scenery over and over again.

There’s a pond, there’s a tree, there’re some Northern Lights. Oh wow! I’ve totally never seen that before!

From Kevin and Shoko (Still a work in progress, might put off until after NaNo)
mae?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:05 pm
Storygirl95 says...

I was talking about love in writing once, and I haven't had much experience with the subject. I was feeling down and a little lonely, and one of my forum buddies wrote this to me. I'll admit I cried.

"Love is the force, together with consciousness, which will lead every scientific study in any field to the question of the existence of God. Perhaps it is so; that the less able you are to explain something, the greater significance it has, such as life, death, infinity, God, joy, deep melancholy, and the sense that something is or is not right. Love embraces all of these, I think. Or perhaps it is in the centre, with everything connected to it, as if nothing could exist without it, because when you are truly, deeply in love, understanding of such enigmas deepens.

The fear of the unknown releases its icy grip on the soul, and is replaced by the soothing caress of an intangible oblivion, almost as if instant omniscience gained without knowledge - a fearlessness without having made an effort to find courage. Love cleanses the soul, refreshes the psyche, and leaves one to step lightly wherever one goes. Pavements of cold concrete become spongy boardwalks, each of which carry you to a welcome destination. Love makes the ugly world sublime; the roar of the city's clamour a symphony of love. Yes, love is quite delightful, and you will be one of those who will reap all its rewards, because you are a good, kind-hearted, earnest person, and may have to wait for this reason. The best love is not wasted on those who cannot delight in it, and I'm sure you will. Then you will know why people die for love, why money cannot buy it, and why the world should be powered by it."

I thought it was beautiful.
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:04 pm
View Likes
BellaRoma says...

"Please, Sara, don't! It's Bedlam here..."~ Layla Watts, Imaginary Friends

Short and simple, but (I think) deep.
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:01 am
View Likes
micamouth says...

"The people in our lives are like cats. They come and go. Some stay longer than others. Some are never seen again. A few stay with us for their whole lives. But we can be sure about one thing - none of us have tails. Well, except for the unicorns."

Jasper/Eochaidh, (no title yet!)

"Do faeries dance like people do in clubs, or do they waltz in fancy ballgowns?"

Olivia/???, (no title yet!)
formerly Sagitta

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:01 pm
View Likes
tigeraye says...

This is from a novel I've been working on this year; one of my favorite passages so far.

She did it. She walked closer to me until she was pressed right up to me, just centimeters away from my body. She stared down at me with those bright blues eyes with that evil, vicious, wonderful smile. “Well? Don’t just stand there,” she said in a mockingly neighborly tone of voice. “What’s your name?”

“To-Toby…” I muttered.

“Tony!” Melissa exclaimed, raising her arms in the air as she marched back to Chelsea. “Well, listen up, Tony. There’s a way Mr. Tyler’s class works. You can join two sides. ‘Factions’, if you’ll put it that way. You can be friends with Dorkowala and that fat loser, Diana. Or, you can hang around with me. I’m the queen of the ninth grade, and don’t you forget it. Side with me and I’ll make you my king. Cross me and I’ll make you my meal."

Always figured you were a cannibal,” Bailey muttered under her breath.
dot

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:58 pm
View Likes
tigeraye says...

New York City. 1995. The starry night had never looked more beautiful. Just like the body in the back of my trunk.
dot

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:56 am
EmmVeePi says...

From Children of Dread book one Blood Oath

Furthermore I did not make this journey to be greeted by flame and wall and to banter with faceless voices in the night and I demand shelter and an audience. - Fulla

“With this, my own blood,” Declared the young Jarl, “I do swear a blood oath of vengeance upon Odin the All Father and all the Aesir for the evil brought upon this house. And with my own blood do I seal my fate that I will render justice upon the gods or be ruined in the effort.” And the whole room stood silent in shock and awe and his mother wept uncontrollably.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:50 am
View Likes
Storygirl95 says...

Here's a line from a story I'm writing. The MC runs into a really pretty guy and is nervous about taking to him.
Always expect cute people in the least obvious of places. Why haven’t I learned that yet?
The thing is, I can't just go talk to him. He's practically an Adonis, and I'm . . . me.
I don't think I'm ugly or anything. I'm not some hideous person unworthy of all praise, which would be cruel no matter the deformity or look. It's only that I'm not gorgeous or extraordinary in any way. I'm just kind of there. Like a lamp or other inanimate object.
The closest thing I have to a six pick happens to be in my fridge right now. I carry my laundry basket on my hips. Using my hands is just so inconvenient.
I know I should go to the gym more. I know I shouldn't eat tacos, and that I should resist the temptation I get late at night for a bag of sour gummy worms. And I know that I should most definitely go out in the sun more so I can have a tan that isn't caused by my computer screen's light.
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:17 pm
View Likes
Lefty says...

“I mean, call it whatever you want. Jealousy. Helplessness. A need to prove himself… whatever it is, it’s not worth it! If he took two seconds to think about what he’s doing, he’d realize it’s stupid. He’s going to get himself killed!”

I can’t help but smile at this point. I’m pretty sure I’ve been smiling for at least a couple minutes now, but she hasn’t even noticed.

“The guy is on crutches for crying out loud! What does he think he’s going to do if sorcerers show up? Jab them with a crutch? An Earth sorcerer could take those things away from him with magic and jab them somewhere he really doesn’t want jabbed.”

She finally looks down at me and she presses her eyebrows down. “What?” She breathes heavy, her chest rising and falling quickly. “You think this is funny?”

“No… It’s not funny. I just… You’re really cute when you’re mad.”

She looks confused for a moment, then her shoulders relax and she tilts her head, giving me an annoyed look. “Have you even listened to a word I’ve said?”

-The Warlord of Yorkshire - Chapter 23 - Daniel's POV
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:09 am
View Likes
Xorsudite says...

"If there is one thing I hate, it's men who can't back up their egos" ~Doris Olwin

"I may be lazy, but at least I carry my own weight. A sloth who siphons off others has no dignity" ~Leifest "Leif" Elinor
"For the pessimist, the satisfaction in being PROVED right is usually undermined
by the sad reality of simply BEING right. Bummer." ~EL Kersten

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:28 am
View Likes
micamouth says...

"Give me one good reason why I should wear a dress."
-Amir Almasi, Kingside
formerly Sagitta

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:27 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

I can't tell if he just threw a tantrum or went off to the Morgue to grab the brain.

~Cisco Ramon, Of Brains and Biotech

Bahaha. This script is hilarious. (Yes it counts, it's going to be turned into a thing soon enough.)

Cat and I are writing a fanfiction for fun, and I think this is my favorite line so far.
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:30 pm
steampowered says...

He opened one of the drawers, and pulled it out along with a rubber duck. “What the hell is this doing in here?” He squeezed the rubber duck, and it made a squeaking noise. “I think I’ll call him Squeaky.”

Something I found when I was revisiting an old project earlier today. The context of this is the main characters are desperately rummaging through someone's desk trying to find a "gateway control" to take them to another dimension because a friend of theirs is in danger, and they find a rubber duck. Cue a rather irritated accusation from the protagonist that this character is not taking things seriously enough.

It made me laugh, alright.
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:54 pm
Brigadier says...

I have started to write on a novel I haven't touched for awhile and I felt the need to post my example of humor. Still searching for a way to convey sarcasm if anyone has a solution.

"HOLD ON! Just hold on for one minute. Why are you telling me all of this? Why me, why did you choose me for your special project?"

"Why do you think I chose you? I would not just choose some random human author."

"Human? Are you really an alien or just some crazed, eccentric author who wants help with her book?"

"Being an author was just a role, in a play to me. For six thousand years I have been on this planet and I have watched civilizations rise and fall like the tides. Do you get bored after working on one project for a couple months?"

"Well, of course I do. As does any person on the planet."

"That is why I picked up the role of an author, to tell my story through fiction but I also need your help."

"And why is that?"

"If you would just keep your mouth shut, I am getting to that. Now where was I? Oh yes. On that fateful day everything changed. I met an intergalactic thief."

"What was his name?"

"His name was Gray for the powers he possessed. The power to control the weather."

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:19 am
bluewaterlily says...

Excerpt from a novel I am cowriting with @*coco called To Love or Not To Love:

Eric took a deep breath and swallowed. “The first day we met and I flirted with you and chased you and eventually got you to agree to a date … I’d be lying if I said I thought it would ever get this far.”

“So would I,” Melody admitted.

“And now you know my past, I guess it makes it all the more surprising that I have managed to get this far. Maybe that’s why Marvin’s words got to me the way it did, and why I got so mad at you before, because I feel like what’s happened with us has changed me … made me better, I think, and to then have someone bring up my past as if that’s all I ever am and ever will be just pissed me off. I’m not the same guy as I was before. I don’t wanna be that guy anymore.” He paused to look at her, trying to tell what she was feeling, “Does that make sense?”

Melody nodded. “It does."

“But at the same time,” he carried on, “I can’t run from the past. I have the reputation that I have for a reason. It didn’t just come to me one day … even my old’ man knows what I’m like.” He recalled bitterly the night his dad had tried to persuade him to find the Duquaine girl and break her heart like he’d done with all the other girls that had come before. “I guess, what I’m trynna say is that I don’t blame you if, even after all this time, there’s still a part of you that’s worried that I might get bored of you, or whatever …”

Melody reached over and squeezed his hand. “Maybe so, Casanova, but people and reputations can change. For the better, too. But it doesn’t seem like you’re running from your past. I think you stopped running from it the moment you started to learn from it.”
Last edited by bluewaterlily on Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb