z

Young Writers Society

The importance of sleep

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:13 am
OliveDreams says...

@Snoink - there must be!! Anxiety is one of the worst feelings in the world & those first few weeks with Henry as a newborn, I felt constantly sick with that knot in my stomach.

You hear them cry out at 2am & you get a wave of it hit you with full force! Those first 6 weeks are pure SURVIVAL.
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:23 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

@Snoink, there is actually! I should have included it in the effects.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/06/27 ... 56531.html
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:28 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

I am reading this at 1.30 in the morning my time.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:22 am
View Likes
Lorelie says...

Too guilty to reply...
There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.
— Mary Kay Ash

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:14 am
fireheartedkaratepup says...

I've started trying segmented sleeping.

it works sometimes.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:35 am
rainforest says...

I am unfortunately that person with the gigantic dark circles under my eyes.

Also known as allergy shiners.
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:24 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

*hides guiltily*

I wonder, can your appetite go away if you go... say, five or six days without sleep? Like, can you stop feeling?
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:11 pm
ThereseCricket says...

Omg, I'm so guilty.

Awesome article, Flite! :D
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:55 pm
erilea says...

Yes, I completely agree. This is an amazing article! For a ten year old, I probably don't sleep well. I usually get 7-9 hours of sleep daily, and that's not all that much. I usually try to catch up on the weekends, but... :\
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

475 Reviews

Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:04 pm
Apricity says...

Artemis28 wrote:Yes, I completely agree. This is an amazing article! For a ten year old, I probably don't sleep well. I usually get 7-9 hours of sleep daily, and that's not all that much. I usually try to catch up on the weekends, but... :\

Actually, that is pretty good already. As long as you don't dip under seven, I'd say you're better than most, ideally 8 would be good for someone your age but remember not to oversleep on weekends!
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:08 am
Corncob says...

This is awesome! Now I know why I'm a numb monster of the deep most of the time....
Can sleep also increase feelings of unhappiness/depression? Just wondering because I see that pattern in one of my friends a lot >_>

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:27 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Totally off topic, but I read this thread's title as "The importance of sheep" and thought it had something to do with @Caesar.

Yes, sleep is important. However, fun fact is, people actually do function differently. Myself, for example; I disagree with the whole "early to bed, early to rise" thing that often comes up in these kinds of articles. I can go to bed at nine like a perfect child, and still if I get up in the morning to an alarm (or even without it), I won't feel well or be productive — because that kind of rhythm doesn't work for me, in any kind of setting, and I feel especially bad if it's a sunny day with a lot of light (thank you for existing, Swedish winter). So, don't underestimate the importance of sleep and get enough of it, but don't disregard how specific sleeping habits make you feel, either, and choose a routine that works best for you :]
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

475 Reviews

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:02 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

@1morestupidlovesong

The answer is yes, there is a link between lack of sleep and depression however the relationship between the two is complex as they can affect each other (this is strictly on clinical terms).

Lack of sleep over a long period of time is associated with lower energy levels, mood swings, anxiety issues and as sleep is crucial for daily functioning chances are they would be snappy with everyone because they can't think clearly. There are memes all over the net when people don't have enough sleep and turn into evil overlords, and these aren't just memes there is actual scientific evidence to back it up.

Is there a reason why your friend is not sleeping?
Previously Flite

~Open for business~

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:20 pm
Corncob says...

@Flite Thanks so much for this help!

She procrastinates and then gets up to do her homework at 5 in the morning :smt023

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:16 pm
KaiTheGreater says...

But I'm nocturnal. :(

Apparently that is a legitimate thing- a friend explained it to me, but I haven't actually looked it up yet. But according to her, in some rare cases a person's brain only releases the sleepy chemicals (melatonin) during the day and tells them to wake up at night. So basically I'm dead all day and start perking up around 9ish at night. Not good for school.
But the good news is night jobs pay more than day jobs! :P
Formerly DragonLily and RoseAndThorn

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan