Young Writers Society

The Big Review

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:18 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Coming soon to a writing site near you...

The Big Review

Where?

YWS

When?

01/07/2015 (1st July)

What?

The Big Review is a contest where reviewers are pitted against each other in a contest to find out who writes the most helpful, best quality reviews. And who better to judge this than the authors themselves?

Every entrant is guaranteed at least two reviews because the contestants will be reviewing each other's writing. Even after being knocked out of the contest, as long as the contestant followed the rules, they will still be on the books to receive reviews from the remaining participants.

Why?

A lot of the review contests we do on YWS focus on how many reviews a person can write or how long they can make them. This isn't about that. This is about you as writers saying which reviewer helped you the most with your work, whether it was the shortest review or the cheeriest review or the one which cut you to shreds and made you want to cry in the corner. It's up to you to decide which one was the most helpful to you.

How?

Contestants will be given the names of three YWS'ers every Sunday night. They will then have Monday through Friday to write a review for each of those YWSers. They may review the same piece as another contestant or a different piece.

Then by Sunday at 8:00pm GMT, the contestants must award 1, 2 or 3 points to each reviewer so they will give 3 points to the best review, 2 points to the next best and 1 point to the review they found least helpful.

At the end of round 1, the contestants will be divided into two groups. The half with the highest points will become group 1 and those with the lowest points will be group 2. Nobody is knocked out in the first round.

For the second round, each reviewer will be going head to head with another reviewer. They will not necessarily review the same contestants (though group one will review group one and group two will review group two) but their points will be compared at the end of the round. Where there is an odd number of contestants, a group of three will be formed and only the contestant with the highest points will remain in.

At the end of every week, the contestant in group 2 with the most points will move up to group 1.

Where there is a tie or a contestant fails to rank their reviewers, I will decide, unless it is my own points which need adding up. I will then ask someone neutral to decide.

The ways of being disqualified are as follows:

1. Failing to complete three reviews. This will result in you being dropped from the contest and you will not be included in the review roster.
2. Failing to rank the reviews you received. You will be able to remain in the contest, but you will no longer receive any reviews yourself.

If you know you will be away then please let me know at least one week in advance. This will enable me to not include you in the review roster for that week and you will get a pass through to the next round. Everyone can use this privilege once only but not to pass through the semi finals or finals.

This contest is expected to last for six weeks, depending on how many join. At round four it is likely that contestants will be placed in groups of three or four with only one survivor in order to prepare for a small number of semi finalists.

Can I join?

If you've got at least three published works then sign up below to participate. The contestants are currently:

1. @Rydia
2. @Arkhaion
3. @AdjiFlex
4. @Tuesday
5. @Megrim
6. @Wolfie36
7. @Wolfare1
8. @Pompadour
9. @IronSpark
10. @Meandbooks
11. @Pretzelsing
12. @hermione315
13. @megsug
14. @Carlito

Prizes

If you make it to the end of the contest, you will have written approximately 18 reviews. You will have received in return approximately 18 reviews.

You will also receive a participant's badge and the winner will receive a winner's badge.

As if that wasn't enough, you will also win one favour from me and can cash this in however you please. Whether you want me to make your story a Staff Pick, or join a storybook or make your name pink for a day, so long as it's a reasonable request and not harmful to YWS or her members then I am at your disposal.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:10 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

(I'm just double checking that this is happening on July 1st, not January 7th, yes? I apologize for my American-ness. :P )
I think I might be interested, but I'm going to check dates. I know I will be gone a lot in July.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:02 pm
Vervain says...

I think I'd be quite interested in participating in this.
stay off the faerie paths

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 pm
Megrim says...

Do I need to have published stuff or can I just review :(

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:28 pm
AdjiFlex says...

I want to join.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:20 am
Rydia says...

@Widdershins July 1st is right, though even if you're gone a bit, you may be able to participate. You can have a whole week of doing nothing and remain in and even if you only get through the first week or two and then have to step out, you can still receive reviews from the other participants so long as you're still rating them at the weekends.

@Megrim If you just want to review, that's fine! Just let me know and I'll not add you to the roster, though if you were to then post a few things during July and wanted adding, I'd be fine with that too :)

@Arkhaion @AdjiFlex Added you both to the list :)
Writing Gooder

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:33 am
Tuesday says...

May I sign up please?
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:36 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Of course :)
Writing Gooder

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:21 am
View Likes
Megrim says...

@Rydia, yay thanks! I'll plan on just reviewing, but I may post a chapter by then and can let you know if I do.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:53 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

I'll join too! :D
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:03 pm
SpiritedWolfe says...

I'll be reviewing anyway, any inspiration is good. Count me in.
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:10 pm
Pompadour says...

Well.

Why not? Count me in as well. :3
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:56 pm
Rydia says...

All updated :)
Writing Gooder

175 Reviews

Reviews: 175
Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:58 pm
Harker says...

Can I join? :D
John. Queer guy, writer, fan of stuff.

~ Some men are born in their bodies, others have to fight for it. ~

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:25 pm
Rydia says...

I'd be insulted if you didn't @IronSpark ;)
Writing Gooder

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline