z

Young Writers Society

Need your thoughts: Might switch blogs to Wordpress format

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon May 11, 2015 2:10 am
Nate says...

For some time now, I've been considering switching the platform used for YWS Blogs to Wordpress. For those who don't know what Wordpress is, it's a popular blogging platform that is widely used across the web, including on YWS' own Writing Gooder.

First, I should say that I'm not sure if it's entirely possible. There are still some challenges to work out before doing so. One is conversion of the current blogs to Wordpress so that no current blog posts are lost, but this I think should be the "easiest" part. The hardest part will be single-sign-on (SSO), meaning that once you log into YWS, you'll also be automatically signed into the Wordpress side of things as well. With the current blogs system, SSO isn't an issue since it's built directly into YWS.

But assuming these challenges can be overcome, would you all be interested in switching to Wordpress for YWS Blogs? Below is a list of advantages and disadvantages to be considered.

Advantages
- Tons of plugins and themes to work with
- Many people are already familiar with Wordpress
- Simple to export your data to another platform
- Possibility of creating full-fledged sites on your blog
- Allow other YWSers to be an author on your blog
- Possible to cross-post between your blog and another blog

Disadvantages
- All current customizations would be lost.

To be clear, this would still be very similar to the current blogs setup. Your blog would be available at blog/yourusernamehere as it is now, and you'd be limited to one blog per user. If YWS begins using Wordpress, all your current blog posts will be converted over. What will be lost are any customizations you've made to the colors, the backgrounds, and images. You'd have to recreate these.

Personally, I think losing current customizations is a big negative, but the advantages are much greater. Wordpress simply offers a lot more than the current blogs system. There's also the added benefit that Wordpress is under active development. The developer who created the phpBB blog mod (which is what YWS uses) stopped development for it a few years back, which raises questions about its security.

Let me know what you think.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Mon May 11, 2015 2:45 am
View Likes
Rook says...

I think that if we are able to get the posts to transfer and some connection to Wordpress (I wouldn't even mind if I had to sign in every time: I do that for WFP), that it would be a really cool thing. I kind of like the idea of losing everything personalization-wise? Blank slates are always fun for me, and it gives me a chance to be creative all over again.
If it works out, I say do it!
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon May 11, 2015 2:47 am
ScarlettFire says...

I'm willing to try it out. Bring it on!

Seriously, this could be a really cool thing, Nate.

I'm with Fortis. I'd be fine with signing in every time, too. Blank slates could also be a good thing.

As I said before. Bring. It. On!
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon May 11, 2015 3:17 am
Holysocks says...

I agree with those above me. I like it~
100% autistic

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Mon May 11, 2015 3:31 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

I just want a big red juicy Like button.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon May 11, 2015 3:45 am
Lava says...

As a WP user - YES please!

I would love to know if I can manage my YWS blog by also logging in to my WordPress account?
(Plus follows and likes and yay! Also WP (used to?) have snowfall in December on most of their pages which was cute. )
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon May 11, 2015 3:53 am
Sunshine1113 says...

I agree with everyone too! WP would be awesome! ^_^
~Sun Goddess~

425 Reviews

Mon May 11, 2015 3:56 am
Nate says...

Lava wrote:I would love to know if I can manage my YWS blog by also logging in to my WordPress account?

I'm not entirely certain, but it should be possible to do this.

425 Reviews

Mon May 11, 2015 4:04 am
Vervain says...

I don't have a lot of personalization on my blog at the moment, so it doesn't bother me as much that the customizations would be lost—and I second the idea that blank slates are pretty fun!

I'd be all for switching to Wordpress.
stay off the faerie paths

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon May 11, 2015 4:56 am
Evander says...

I agree with everyone above me. Wordpress is pretty cool, and signing in each time wouldn't really be a bother.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Mon May 11, 2015 5:11 am
Dracula says...

It'd be awesome!
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

425 Reviews

Mon May 11, 2015 6:01 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far! Nothing will happen for at least a couple weeks, so if anyone has any concerns, please feel free to share them.

One concern that came up when I asked a few people about this initially was the issue of privacy. At the moment, a YWS blog is only viewable by other YWSers by default. This would not change with the switch to a Wordpress format, although you would be able to change the privacy setting to public if you so wished (or to only people you're following).

Regarding signing on every time, this will only go forward if I can make the single-sign-on work. The problem is that while having to sign on a second time is not a large obstacle, it's enough of one such that there'd be even less activity in blogs than there is now.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon May 11, 2015 1:21 pm
LadySpark says...

yes please! Wordpress is awesome.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon May 11, 2015 1:41 pm
Snoink says...

As the person who wrote the main article on how to customize your blog, which means I spent way too much time customizing it, probably, my answer is YES PLEASE. Wordpress is like... the most amazing thing ever. I would love to have the amazing capabilities of Wordpress!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 pm
Lavvie says...

Snoink wrote:Wordpress is like... the most amazing thing ever.

Although I haven't been active for awhile, I'm all too familiar with YWS blogs and Wordpress so I think it would be awesome, Nate. :)

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune