z

Young Writers Society

What's your favorite non-fiction novel!?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:20 am
lateishastam says...

Mines Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey! You should all read it at least once, maybe even a few? :wink:

Reviews: 1
Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:08 am
Hanyauku says...

Do historical/ scientific books count? :D

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 am
View Likes
ShakespeareWallah says...

I haven't read many. But Teju Cole's Every Day is For the Thief is one so-called nonfiction novel I really enjoyed reading last year.

Also, I don't know whether the My Struggle series by Karl Ove Knausgaard counts. If they do, then that as well.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:33 am
tennishead says...

I read a few non-fiction books, but I would have to say my personal favourite is Nelson Mandela's autobiography. It is just inspiring to read and it was a harrowing experience to read what conditions he had to suffer when he was on Robben island.

Fantastic book.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri May 08, 2015 1:37 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

I came here to tell you that there's no such thing as a non-fiction novel, but when I looked it up I learned Truman Capote invented it.

I have favourite non-fiction books, though. The Autobiography of Malcolm X is a classic, and I'm currently making my way through The Years of Lyndon Johnson series by Robert Caro. It's fascinating if you're interested in American politics.

Oh, and Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer is intense.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri May 08, 2015 2:10 am
View Likes
Lava says...

The Emperor of All Maladies - Siddhartha Mukherjee

I've also been meaning to pick up an Atul Gawande book sometime.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri May 08, 2015 3:46 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but I really enjoyed "The Murder of the Century" by Paul Collins. It tells the story of a headless torso found in the East River in 1897 and how the yellow journalists raced to solve the crime. It's a fascinating "true crime" story that also reveals a lot about history.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Reviews: 1
Tue May 12, 2015 11:06 pm
katjupi says...

Most of the non-fiction I like tends to be about psychology, spirituality and animals (as well as the obvious writing guide-type books). Most of the time though I use them more as inspiration/research for my writing so i don't know if they count! lol

When it comes to reading non-fiction for pure enjoyment, I'm a bit of a fan of positive, real life day-to-day stories. At the minute I'm really enjoying "Under the Paw" by Tom Cox . Reading about his experiences with cats is humourous, light-hearted and very relatable. I find it easy to read after a long day!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed May 20, 2015 12:59 am
97DecibelFeak says...

The Archetypes and The Collective Unconscious by C.G. Jung. It's a compendium of his psychoanalytical reports and it's massively interesting. Studying the typical archetypes is really beneficial in writing characters/relationships.

Also, The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band, which is a collaborative autobiography of the members of Motley Crue. It's... intense. It dispels any romanticized assumptions of the rockstar lifestyle, and will honestly make me look at the band in a different way (especially when I see them live this autumn). I would recommend it while at the same time putting a warning sticker on it, because it's also exceptionally explicit. Which, in my opinion, makes the story more realistic... Not for ye God-fearing, pure-hearted virgins of the mind.
"One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs,
Or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls."
--Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Atul Gawande is AMAZING, and Complications is probably my favourite non-fiction book. It isn't a novel, although it's autobiographical in a way, but it's largely collected essays about surgery and medical ethics. It is just unbelievably well written. It's in every recommended reading list for med students ever, and it's pretty obvious why.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Wed May 20, 2015 11:18 am
Blackwood says...

Changing Japanese Attitudes Toward Modernization edited by Marius B. Jansen. Charles E. Tuttle Co. Publishers 1982
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed May 20, 2015 12:09 pm
bluewaterlily says...

A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Wed May 20, 2015 2:14 pm
RagingLive says...

Right now it's The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender - but it's subject to change at any time. :)
'Cause your own story, is the safest place you'll ever be
~Echosmith

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Wed May 20, 2015 2:22 pm
Dreamy says...

There's a thing called non-fiction novel? o.O

Edit: Oh.

Well, my favourite is "The Age of Kali" by William Dalrymple and it's the only non-fiction book I've ever read.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

trust your heart if the seas catch fire (and live by love though the stars walk backward)
— E.E. Cummings