z

Young Writers Society

How can we spice up Review Day?

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:13 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

Well @Nate let me get the pepper, nutmeg, and basil, then we'll talk.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:17 pm
WritingWolf says...

I know this topics a little old but I had an idea so I figured I'd share it.

You know how awhile ago Nate gave away YWS bookmarks? I believe he said he had some left over (right?). So what if there was a bookmark giveaway linked to review day? Like, only people who did at least one review on review day could participate in that giveaway.
I don't think that should be normal or anything, but it might be cool to try once. :)
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:24 pm
Nate says...

Giving away bookmarks is not free for me. Multiple it by the hundreds requested, and the postage adds up quite significantly -- especially as international postage ain't cheap. I'm also not going to give away more bookmarks right now just after doing that this past January -- that cost me about $200 out of my own pocket.

121 Reviews

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:29 pm
WritingWolf says...

What I had meant was more of next time you where already planning on doing it, just tie it in with review day. But I get your point, it must get pretty expensive. :) (that just goes to show how awesome you are lol)

425 Reviews

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:30 pm
Nate says...

I understand, but it is frustrating when people make proposals for me to spend my money. Please allow me to decide how and when I spend my money.

121 Reviews

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:40 pm
WritingWolf says...

Okay. It was just an idea, I understand.
Thanks for considering it. I'll try to think of something more practical next time. :)

121 Reviews

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:52 pm
WritingWolf says...

I was just thinking about my suggestion and I realize how it must have sounded to you. In my mind it was something you are already doing, so why not change it a bit? But I see now how that isn't how it would sound to you. I didn't mean to try to tell you what to do with your money, I just didn't think my idea through all the way. Sorry about that.

425 Reviews

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:04 pm
EverStorm says...

I know that for me, I haven't done a few just because it never seemed like a huge thing. There wasn't much pep about it and it seemed like no one was excited. Maybe try a pre-review day Party? People give presents, and just... Party? Have a huge Chat and try to get as many people as possible.

Oooooh I got it. I'm more willing to review when I have works in the green room that will get reviewed. For the hour before Review Day starts, cut the points it takes to submit to a ridiculous amount of like 37 points. People can submit as many works as they can. It would increase the number of works, but I think it would even out.

Also, maybe, I think you have a big enough site going that every 4th review day, you can have a popular author come and chat? People that review a certain number get free entrance? They have author chats on Figment.com, so I was thinking, why not here?
@Nate

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:11 pm
Mea says...

@Everwinter - I believe we already do the first thing you suggested. For the 24 hours before Review Day starts, you can post up to two literary works completely free.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:14 pm
EverStorm says...

Really? I feel stupid not XD I had no idea.

425 Reviews

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:54 pm
Nate says...

Occasionally, there's a free literary work day before Review Day, but there hasn't been one for a while, which is probably what's causing the confusion. Whether or not we have one depends on what the Green Room is like. With the way things are looking, it's very doubtful February will have a free lit day. March is doubtful too since Review Day will be on Easter Sunday, and thus I'm expecting it to be relatively quiet. April though...

Plus, the cost to post a literary work is a lot lower than it used to be. The free literary work days started when posting a literary work cost 350 points. That's now down to 200 points.

In any case, I've been happy enough with the past few Review Days. I think the main reason they haven't been bigger recently is because YWS is having a tough time these days at new member retainment.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:20 pm
Swordfish says...

@Nate
I remember talking about this in chat before, and I'm not sure if somebody brought this up before, but maybe all points earned from review day are doubled?

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:20 pm
View Likes
Sarah12 says...

@Nate

No banning!! :D

But seriously. I like the changing colors idea... and the doubling points. We could also do something like giving everyone on the winning team a free post for one of their works? I don't know, its an idea.

We definitely shouldn't get rid of review day! It's fun and motivating.
A note for all writers! If something goes wrong in your life, yell "PLOT TWIST!" and move on.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:46 pm
JediDeadpool says...

I do so enjoy floggings... albeit giving, not receiving.

But BOO to stagnation!! Something must be changed.

1. I love the ideas to change colors
Spoiler! :
and maybe fonts? Or like the facebook option that changes everything to piratey wording (I know facebook is evil and shouldn't be brought up BUT the idea is solid enough)

2a. Giving the winning team's members each their next star also sounds fun, but seeing as this is tied into reviews themselves this probably won't be practical.
Spoiler! :
Maybe a star of a special color though, so as not to influence their actual rating

2b. If not the winning team, how about elite members that meet a certain almost-unwinnable quota? I.e. 25 reviews that must be over 1000 characters, or most quotes on review day, etc.

3. I don't like the idea of more teams. Having 2 teams really halves the playing field, and since people know they're only competing against 1 other team, they strive to put out more so they don't lose.
Sincerely,
A Humble YWS User.

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
~ Steven Wright ~

Every cat ish my little dark knight<3

Spoiler! :
Used to be Watchdog1324

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert