z

Young Writers Society

How can we spice up Review Day?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:13 am
View Likes
Nate says...

It used to be that Review Days regularly hit in the 600s, and often in the 700s. However, I feel like the last several Review Days have been rather mundane, and the last two haven't had enough activity to clean out the Green Room either.

This has actually happened a couple times in the past. Review Days / Weekends go back to 2008, though they weren't always monthly. Inevitably, it gets a bit stale and we need to change things up to make it more interesting.

Off the top of my head, here are a few ideas to add some pep back to Review Day:
- Ban the losing team from YWS
- Institute mandatory floggings until review numbers go up
- Give out $5 for every 50 words

;)

Real ideas:
- Create your own teams. There'd have to be a minimum number of people (maybe 10?), but the winning team would be decided upon a mix of number of reviews and the average number of points per review. New members (those who've joined in the previous month) would all be included in their own team with a couple JMs as their captains.

- Go back to four teams instead of just two.

- More themes. We do this every now and then, but not a lot. The last big theme we did was the Poke-Review Day in July 2014, and that went well.

- Increase the number of points you can earn on Review Day (once upon a time, you could earn twice as much on Review Days)

- Get rid of it altogether. When we first started it, there were a ton of works that went without at least 2 reviews (hundreds per month). Nowadays, that's just not a problem anymore.

- Change up the site's colors just for Review Day.

- Just keep on truckin' and change nuthin'. It may well be that the current state of affairs is perfectly okay.

These are all just some ideas. Feel free to add your own and/or comment on any of the above.

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:26 am
View Likes
elysian says...

I don't think we should get rid of review day! But I think it would be good to have four teams, spread out the good and not so good reviewers, that way not all the good reviewers are on the same team :)
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:43 am
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

I like the idea of creating your own teams...
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:55 am
Holysocks says...

I don't think it's so much that it's getting stale, but more of a review burnout in some cases- and I think it will pick up again soon.

But I do like the create your own teams, or just the four teams ideas. I can't seem to think of any suggestions. XD
100% autistic

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:04 am
View Likes
Tuesday says...

I like the picking teams idea.. could spice the playing field or something.
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:16 am
View Likes
Rook says...

What if the winning team got to pick the color of YWS for the next review day? I dunno. Adds some stakes.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:17 am
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

I would say to change up the colors/themes on the YWS website and then also what if we encouraged everyone with some kind of sparkling new trophy? The idea of four teams didn't really sound good my opinion, because two is a nice practical number. Picking your own teams sounds very unfair.
I think that you should continue to do it every month, because for me, this is my favorite holiday ever!
Just some suggestions!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:06 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

I don't agree creating your own team, which involves selecting your own team members. Picking team members that favor you seems like a good effort of team building, but it also means others who are not selected would have to review alone. The current system of picking your team members seems fine enough. At the end at the day, I believe Review Day encourages all members - not teams - to review.

Changing the colour on YWS website seems like a good way to show people that it's review day, a day that encourages people to review more than write (since you can't post your pieces).
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

425 Reviews

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:07 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Just a quick note to say that I'm really liking the discussion so far. Lots of great points.

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:25 am
View Likes
rainforest says...

Hmm, I want to go with the mandatory floggings. :D
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:29 am
Willard says...

Fight to the death. Other than that, I like what has been suggested so far.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:36 am
View Likes
DrFeelGood says...

How about rewarding top 10 reviewers with 2 free reviews to any work of their choice?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:46 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I haven't participated in Review Day in quite a while because weekends are kind of family time for us. >.> However! If I was an obsessed teenager who was avoiding my family to spend it on the computer...

DivineFool wrote:How about rewarding top 10 reviewers with 2 free reviews to any work of their choice?

I think that might be difficult because you have to ask, "Who is going to give the reviews?"

I don't like the idea of creating your own teams because then there might be some favoritism involved. >.>

Go back to four teams instead of just two.

Maybe this will be good for a switch up, but not a permanent thing? Like, you can switch back to two teams. Or three teams. So, this wouldn't be set in stone.

Increase the number of points you can earn on Review Day (once upon a time, you could earn twice as much on Review Days)

I like it.

Change up the site's colors just for Review Day.

Yeah!

What if the winning team got to pick the color of YWS for the next review day? I dunno. Adds some stakes.

That would be fun!

I would say to change up the colors/themes on the YWS website and then also what if we encouraged everyone with some kind of sparkling new trophy?

If you do have themes, which sounds pretty fun, make sure the sparkling new trophy reflects that! This sounds fun.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm
Vervain says...

I really like the idea that Snoink brought up of having a variable number of teams, if it's possible. Like, switch between 2, 3, and 4 teams in some random order just so there's a bit more variety.

I'm also a big yes for the themes (themes are always exciting!), because they'll mean there's often something new about Review Day.

I'd like to be a yes for creating your own teams, but—due to reasons others have already brought up (favoritism, being left out)—I'm iffy on it. Situations like that could lead to a lot of sourness between friends and acquaintances.

Other than that, I'm in the vague neutral area for the rest of what's been given, so I'll give it a tentative thumbs up for now.
stay off the faerie paths

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:43 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I would be tempted to make them bimonthly and have more advertisements.

Also, goal setting. I think having "WE NEED THREE HUNDRED MORE REVIEWS" in the banner is inspiring.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren