z

Young Writers Society

What age did you start writing at?

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:53 pm
View Likes
RubyRed says...

I started writing little kid rubbish at 9 maybe. I only started writing at 13 so it hasn't even been a year. :P
You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote

Review link below!
Ruby's Reviews

Knight of the Green Room

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:16 am
View Likes
WaltzingDreams says...

I think I was 8? It all started with a fanfic of Treasure Planet....*sigh*
"I believe I am--just a little bit--indecisive."
"You're mad."
"Name me a writer who isn't."

Don't be shy and ask for a Waltzing Review. :mrgreen:

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:27 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

I started when I was 15! I had a really rough time my Sophomore year of high school, and writing became my emotional release. Now, I'm a graduate student studying fiction writing. ;)
Got YWS?

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:28 am
View Likes
EnderFlash says...

Hmm... I started writing terrible stories around 7-9. I can't really remember. I was really into books and wanted to write fanfiction, and so it all began. I can safely say that I'm a much better writer than I was then.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:01 pm
View Likes
PickledChrissy says...

I started a twelve, so I've been writing for about three years?
A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed ~Second Amendment.

I love my guns. ;)

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:08 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

This is sort of difficult for me to answer. I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I remember writing lots and lots of little stories in elementary school (which are amazing to read now!) I think it was junior high (so between the ages of 11 and 13) that I started trying to write novels. I didn't finish any of them, they typically lacked plot, and/or were copy-cats of my favorite books. I believe this is when I first started thinking about how it would be cool to be published.

I started taking writing a little more seriously in high school, but it was sort of the same as middle school. My ideas got a little better and I started to develop my voice, but I wasn't anything great and didn't finish anything. I believe in high school was when I really solidified my dream of becoming published someday. This is also when I made the shift from writing to write and writing to express myself.

It wasn't until college that I started writing seriously and started taking my publishing dream seriously. I finished my first novel the summer after my freshman year of college and have finished four to date.

So technically, I began writing young. Basically as soon as I learned how, I was writing. But I didn't start writing with the intent to be published until college.

(Still working on that publishing dream!) :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:05 am
View Likes
Ellewt09 says...

I started writing when I was around 7 or 8 and I wrote a "book" called: Pearls War Story: Round 1. Which is actually a series I'm writing today, but the title is The Descendant of Gloss and is obviously a lot better!
I know this is embarrassing, but I actually re-wrote the first Harry Potter book when I was around the age of 9...and started on the second one but never finished. The second one was far more embarrassing than the first because I somehow made it possible that Ron was the heir of Slytherin and that Harry had a sister...it was ridiculous but I had fun writing it so I suppose that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:11 am
View Likes
writer97 says...

I started wrighting in the 2nd grade so I believe I was around 6-7 years old. I read a novel called In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. She inspired to start writing and I have been doing so ever since.
Last edited by writer97 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be who you were created to be, and you will set the world on fire."
-Saint Catherine of Sienna

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:47 am
View Likes
tigeraye says...

I've been writing since I was born, my first writing is still stuffed in a baby book somewhere. I started writing seriously last year, which would've made me 18. But this site is my first venture into actually sharing any of my work with anyone, I have 10+ stories written that are so bad that I plan to keep them to myself forever
dot

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:04 am
View Likes
LordZeus says...

tiger that's not possible. You didn't even know how to speak when you were born. Maybe when you were 2 you could've written, but certainly not before the age of one. I've been writing since i was little (like 5 or 6), but i only started it seriously when I was eight, when I read 'Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief'. that inspired me to write my own stuff. I won a couple of competitions last year, so i wanted to share my stuff with other people who have had more experience than me at writing. So i joined YWS six weeks ago :)

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:33 pm
FireBird99 says...

@LordZeus I think what @tigeraye said may have been sarcasm. ;) lol
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.

I'm not quiet. I'm just plotting.

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:55 pm
View Likes
Kelpies says...

I started writing absolute rubbish at 9, but I do believe that I've made some serious improvements in the 4 years since.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:05 pm
LordZeus says...

Na @FireBird99 it was an exaggeration.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:05 pm
View Likes
ickeschr says...

I started writing around 11 or 12, but really picked up around 14.

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:20 pm
RubyRed says...

Did any of you realize that the title of this forum is incorrect? It should be:

What age did you start writing.

8)
You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote

Review link below!
Ruby's Reviews

Knight of the Green Room

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— -Apple Inc.