z

Young Writers Society

Fangirl with me.

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:37 am
View Likes
OliveDreams says...

...After 4 months of no internet & being knee deep in nappies, I AM BACK!! I’m literally so out of touch with the world but I have been reading to my hearts content after baba skips off to the land of nod every night...

I have to tell you about them & fangirl over them with SOMEONE!

The Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb

HOW HAVE I NEVER READ HOBB BEFORE!? Oh Em Gee! I fell in love straight away. I love Burrich & The Fool & Fitz and just the whole darn story! I’m still on the last book so no one give me any spoilers. I will hunt you down. @SushiSashimi333 if you haven’t read these, you will love them!

Joe Abercrombie...as a whole.

The First Law Trilogy is phenomenal! Amazing characters and a good, gritty storyline with a bit of gore! I haven’t read anything like it before & I love finding something really original.

I’ve just started his new series, Shattered Sea, with Half a King and same goes! Incredibly well written and such a great storyline. There is a twist very early on which knocked me sideways!!

More Than This - Patrick Ness

Now, I am probably one of Ness’ biggest fans. I adore the way he writes. But this was...well...a bit weird! I loved the way it started out & then it kind of went a bit downhill. I didn’t really understand the whole point behind it. Think Gone Girl ending but not as much frustration.

The Cuckoo’s Calling & The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

In my opinion, she’s simply a genius. I’m not really into crime novels but I was curious! I think they’re clever and I had no idea who had committed the crimes so that must be a good thing, right? There are definitely more to come with these.

& I’ve got these lined up...

Paper Towns - John Green
Looking for Alaska - John Green
If I Stay - Gayle Foreman
Wyrmeweald: Returners Wealth - Paul Stewart & Chris Riddle
Inkheart - Cornelia Funke
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

:D :D :D Oh it feels good to get that off my chest.

Olive <3
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:56 am
View Likes
Pompadour says...

INKHEART <3

THE NAME OF THE WIND <33333

YES, YES, YOU MUST READ THEM. I haven't read much Patrick Ness, but I did enjoy the Chaos Walking trilogy immensely! I'll definitely be giving this one a try. XD

And welcome back~!
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:59 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

HOBB <3 HOBB <3 HOBB <3 @megsug Hobb is love.

ROTHFUSS. THE NAME OF THE WIND IS A MUST-READ. READ IT. If you love Hobb, you'll love Rothfuss. Trust me.

NESS <3 I haven't read much of Patrick Ness's book, but I really enjoyed More than this, it reminded me greatly of The Matrix but still a very fulfilling read.

John Green. I think everyone should read his books, they're an experience.

As for Foreman, I can't say I share the enthusiasm. I will never read that book.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:05 am
View Likes
Nutty says...

Hobb is beautiful. I love them so much. Fool for life, man.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

347 Reviews

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:19 am
OliveDreams says...

No, I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to the Foreman book, @Flite. I'm not really a mushy book kinda gal!
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:28 am
Apricity says...

Right there with you, @OliveDreams. There are better books to be read.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:45 pm
Iggy says...

OliveDreams wrote:No, I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to the Foreman book, @Flite. I'm not really a mushy book kinda gal!

.. John Green is mushy...

I will always encourage people to read If I Stay. That is my top favorite book, ever. Much better than anything Green can write. If you've watched the movie first, don't base your opinion off of that -- the movie missed a lot of things and could've been a bit better, frankly. But the books.. Gah. The books <3

Read 'em.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:00 pm
LadySpark says...

At odds with @Iggy
I found If I stay to be very predictable and boring. The movie is actually much better, because they took all the boring parts out hahaha. (something I'd never thought I'd say.) It's not well paced, the emotions don't feel real and the characters have no flaws (which is really annoying for obvious reasons.) I didn't find it to be very good and I probably wouldn't read it ever again. The movie made me cry, though.
If you're not a mushy book kind of girl, Paper Towns is the way to go. Steer clear of TFiOS and An Abundance of Katherine's (Looking for Alaska is my favorite, but the majority of the book is spent mooning over Alaska.)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:01 pm
View Likes
birk says...

I've wanted to read Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy for a while now. They look good.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:23 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

The Cuckoo's Calling is high on vulgar words. Blergh. I regretted reading it.

The First Law Trilogy looks like an awesome set of books. The covers win my heart. <3
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

347 Reviews

Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:03 am
OliveDreams says...

They're reeeeeaaaallllly good @Birkhoff & @Labrador. Couldn't recommend them more!!

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:10 pm
SushiSashimi333 says...

I will totally check those out! @OliveDreams also, Looking for Alaska was a wonderful book and I think you'll love it. It was really predictable, but it's actual story was just so.... Wah! Tell me what you think about it and I'll start reading those book this summer! :D glad to see you back! Hope the baby's doing well!
Sushi

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:48 pm
elysian says...

Papertowns is beautiful <3 ugh. So good.

I plan to read "An Abundance of Katherines" and "Looking for Alaska" once they come in stock at the Library. Currently reading "Let's Get Lost" but I've only just starting reading it.
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."
— Neil Armstrong