Young Writers Society

I Write Like...

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:05 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Do this thing. Do it now and tell us who you write like.

:3

I analyzed a bit of Empathogen and it says I write like Chuck Palahniuk.. whoever that is. xD
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:10 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

I pasted my recent chapter of my novel and I write like :Harry Harrison(whoever that guy is ;))
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:16 pm
megsug says...

:o This is cool.
I analyzed the first chapter of The Veil, and I write like Harry Harrison. I don't really know who that is, but after a little research, I have some new sci-fi to read.
Test

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:24 pm
Holysocks says...

So it says I write like Stephenie Meyer... Based on a story that I wrote for the Poetry Inspired contest >.> Which I've never read any of her books, so I wouldn't know, BUT I did this before and it said I wrote like some guy named Cole something. So I'm not sure how accurate it is... but hey, it's fun! ^_^
100% autistic

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:28 pm
haven235 says...

Analyzed my latest song. Don't get how it sounds like Stephen King:

9/2/05

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:56 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

This is super duper cool!
I posted both chapters in "Cactus leaves" and they were both like L. Frank Baum (Wizard of Oz!!), then I posted a recent chapter of Wool of the Prince, and then a early chapter, and they were both Jack London (call of the wild, White Fang), but when I checked two middle chapters, they were like James Joyce (Ulysses)... hmmm...

My radio play "Ten-Four" is most like Shakespeare... (that makes sense though, because it's a play.) Ooh I did a poem written in iambic pentameter that used old language and got Shakespeare too.

Then I checked my Short story "Cullet Castle," and that says I wrote like J.K. Rowling. Another, Stephanie Meyer. Another, Neil Gaiman, Another, H.P. Lovecraft, another, Margaret Mitchell. Another Gertrude Stein, another was like Chuck Palahniuk, another, Jack London.

Towards the end there, I was mostly just seeing how many different ones were in my writing. Apparently, I don't write with consistency like any one famous author. That makes me feel better, actually, because I did think that all of my works were different (even if they contained a similar voice-- my voice-- throughout) in tone and format etc.

I'd really like to know how they determine this though. What's the formula?
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:57 pm
niteowl says...

One of my best poems, you will not win tonight, sounds like Dan Brown. >.<

A story with no E's, To Marta sounds like either James Joyce or Leo Tolstoy.

This song (She Ain't Singing 'Bout You) sounds like Mark Twain.

My most "famous" (featured/liked) work sounds like Kurt Vonnegut. For the First Time (In Grad School)

This sounds like Gertrude Stein.

So...I'm all over the place!

Also, just for kicks I took the abstract I submitted for this conference I'm preparing for (basically a scientific summary of research), and it turns out my advisor and I write like J.K. Rowling! Another science paper from my microbial physiology class last semester sounds like Chuck Palahniuk. And I am having too much fun with this.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:23 pm
View Likes
FaulknerCannes says...

I posted my first draft and analyzed it. The result came up as being compared to Dan Brown.

I had a good laugh. "The guy who wrote "Angels and Demons" and "The Da Vinci Code"?" Yeah, sure. lol

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:44 pm
View Likes
Firelight says...

Well I posted my new Prolouge and it said Shakespeare.
“You know a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his trick, and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all.”

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:09 pm
LittleFox says...

I posted my short story Nymphs and it said J.K. Rowling :P Not what I expected!

Also did Some of The Moon Spirit and got Stephen King. And Currents gave me Ursula K. Le Guin, The Den gave me David Foster Wallace, and Adonia, Beloved gave me Anne Rice.

I had a lot of fun with this :D
Last edited by LittleFox on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What's 'taters, Precious?"

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:24 pm
View Likes
birk says...

Ugh, come on...

I posted the opening paragraph of my short Everyday Duels, and my result?

Dan Brown

My least favorite author. Great.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:16 am
Evander says...

I put in the first few paragraphs of Silence is Silver, Chapter 50. (Goodbye.) and I get Dan Brown. I have no idea who they are.

So I decide to put in the first paragraph of my work in progress and I get Margaret Mitchell. I still have no idea who they are.

Then I enter In the Rain and get Anne Rice.

Who are these people? :P
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:33 am
niteowl says...

@Birkhoff, try putting in a longer portion and you might get a better result. That's what happened to me with "To Marta"--I got James Joyce with just a paragraph and Tolstoy with the whole thing (maybe because I mentioned Russia?).

I put in what I have for the poetry-inspired short story contest and got David Foster Wallace. Still haven't got the same author twice!
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:55 am
FaulknerCannes says...

I'm guessing getting Dan Brown isn't a good thing. Oh well, at least it fits with my writing quality then. :P

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:19 am
Lightsong says...

Well, posted my Struggle of the Sisters story and got Gertrude Stein. I'm going to find out who he is now...
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins