Terry Prachett dies at age 66

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:42 pm
Snoink says...

Sir Terry Pratchett, renowned fantasy author, dies aged 66

:(

My favorite book by him is "Where's My Cow?" After reading, "Are You My Mother?" five million times, "Where's My Cow?" is hysterical. @Griffinkeeper was awesome for giving us that book for Christmas this year.

Sad, sad news!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:18 pm
niteowl says...

Sad news. His books have made a huge impact on my life, especially Good Omens. RIP.

ETA: Here's a Discworld reading guide (which I wish I'd found ages ago):

Spoiler! :
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:23 pm
godlypopo says...

;-;
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:44 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Wow. For some reason, I don't know, I guess I figured Terry Pratchett was just one of Those People who will live forever because living forever rocks and they rock. And stuff. And wow.

RIP, Sir Terry.
stay off the faerie paths

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:49 pm
birk says...

Oh no, this is terrible news. :(

Very sad to see another legend go. His first Discworld novel 'The Colour of Magic' is actually the first fantasy book I read. Handed down to me by my older brother. <3
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
carbonCore says...

RIP in peace, kind sir.
_

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:13 pm
Rook says...

I guess the letter I just sent him will never be read. :/
I'm going to agree with Anci in that I never thought he'd die, but now that he has, I'm a lot sadder than I thought I'd be. And I've only read one of his books.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:22 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Arkhaion wrote:Wow. For some reason, I don't know, I guess I figured Terry Pratchett was just one of Those People who will live forever because living forever rocks and they rock. And stuff. And wow.

RIP, Sir Terry.

But, @Arkhaion, he will live forever. Words are immortal, aren't they?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:32 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

May you rest in peace, Sir Terry. The world has lost one of the Greats today.

I am already imagining the creators of Discworld, Middle Earth and Narnia discuss fantasy over a pot of tea.

The world (and all its inhabitants) will miss you! *bows head in silent mourning*
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:48 pm
steampowered says...

I just heard this on the news and couldn't believe it... :(

May he rest in peace.
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:33 pm
Hannah says...

I first read The Wee Free Men just last year and devoured it and the next book in a day each! I haven't yet purchased the next books, but I remember feeling very happy he had been working on another sequel with Tiffany. I just started to know him -- at least there's a lot more to get to know even if he's not with us anymore. Writers are amazing -- you're all amazing.
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:25 pm
Rydia says...

Terry is the only reason I dare to blend fantasy and satire when I write and I owe much of my writing style to being sucked into his world during my teenage years.

It's wrong to think he won't write another book but I'm playing The Witches boardgame on Saturday in his memory with a few fellow fans.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:23 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Mort was the first 'adult' novel I ever read when I was nine or ten. Terry Pratchett was a man who made me believe books could be anything. They could be high fantasy, they could be parodies, they could be satire, they could be profound and they could be hilarious all at once. I can't think of any author who could do so much at once the way he did.

I'm sad that this world is without him, but I know he didn't want to linger on with his disease. I hope he is happy elsewhere.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:14 am
kayfortnight says...

I can't believe he's gone- I only started reading his books a few months ago, and I'm already obsessed with them. As one of my friends said when I read him a few quotes, "This man was a genius!"
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings